Forum Index » GEAR » ULA Arctic 1000 Packs

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: ULA Arctic 1000 Packs on 03/29/2007 07:29:03 MDT Print View

I'm not on the original list but I'm very interested. I hope BPL orders enough. If there's a list, add my name.

Robert McGaughey
(havoc) - F

Locale: North Texas
Re: Re: ULA Arctic 1000 Packs on 03/29/2007 14:22:32 MDT Print View

I too am interested in one of these packs. Please add my name to the list as well, if there is one. Thanks

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Locale: South
Re: Re: Re: ULA Arctic 1000 Packs on 03/29/2007 14:38:10 MDT Print View

It seems like a lot of people are intersted. Is there a way we can get this worked out, or are they going to be first come first serve on the website? If there is a list, I'm interested too.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Well on 03/29/2007 15:10:18 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/01/2013 09:35:07 MDT.

Michael Freyman
(mfreyman) - MLife
Re: Arctic 1000 Pack on 03/29/2007 15:23:15 MDT Print View

I am really interested too ... I even already have the dry sack ready to go!

Brian James
(bjamesd) - F

Locale: South Coast of BC
Re: Re: Arctic 1000 Pack on 03/29/2007 16:49:25 MDT Print View

I'm on the original list as well, but have since let my BPL membership lapse. I hope that won't preclude me from buying?

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: Arctic 1000 Pack on 03/30/2007 10:14:16 MDT Print View

The main problems with the prototype design we took to the Arctic that will be fixed in the version we'll ship this spring were:

1. Harness (shoulder/hip) strap angles are being adjusted to better distribute load at stress points.

2. The materials are being changed to be less abrasive on the body. The old packs used a very abrasive and heavy mesh that absorbed little water, but was pretty uncomfortable and abusive to clothing over the long haul. The new pack will will not change overall weight much, but undergo some materials changes to make it more comfortable while retaining excellent resistance to water absorbency.

3. The back pocket design is completely revamped. The old pocket snagged on brush, it was baggy. Water bottles, in spite of best intentions otherwise, couldn't be accessed. Because this is at heart, a "water" pack, the need for it to carry a lot of water and have that water accessible is limited. The idea is to have a place to carry your water bottle (empty) outside the pack so it remains accessible. On the Arctic trek, we just looped our Nalgene Cantene bottle caps around a strap. The new pack has a flat, zippered back pocket that's big enough for stuffing storm clothes (specifically, wind shirt, rain jacket, wind pants, hat/gloves), a thin water bladder (like a platy), and extra food. The bulk of your food will go in the huge hip belt pockets :), which are fine as well for camera, etc. Anyway, the new backpanel distributes the load so much better than the old one, and does so with one less compression strap (the new pack has 2, the old had 3 sets).

So...

I'm really excited about the new design. I love this pack, and have been using it on "regular" trips since the Arctic trek, just because the dry bag concept makes life soooo easy on the trail and in camp. Gone gone gone are the days of dealing with pack liners, pack covers, waterproof stuff sacks, etc. I do still use some nano stuff sacks inside, but only for organization of small items (cook kit, essentials, etc.) and in dry(er) weather, I've been skipping them altogether for sleep and clothing gear, and my wet tarp just gets stored outside the dry bag, underneath the back panel.

Brian will send me his list of interested names, and those folks will be notified by email when the packs ship from Brian to us, so they can keep an eye out for the stock alerts.

If you want to be "on the list" when the pack comes into stock, sign up here for a STOCK ALERT, as this page will be the landing page for the new pack:

Arctic Dry Pack @ BPL

Best,
Ryan

Edited by ryan on 03/30/2007 10:16:34 MDT.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Arctic 1000 pack design changes and stock notification on 03/30/2007 10:21:38 MDT Print View

Thanks, Ryan. Design changes make sense. I hope the new pack material is similar to the tighter mesh used on the old ULA P1 and P2 pack---it was comfortable and still pretty good in the water absorption dept.

it does sound like packs will be sold first come--first served----AKA the 3rd World airport ticket counter scenario----oh, the horror. :-)

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Re: Arctic 1000 pack design changes and stock notification on 03/30/2007 11:45:31 MDT Print View

Looks great!

Thanks for posting Ryan. Now we are all counting down until April 7th to get more information.

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Re: Re: Arctic 1000 Pack on 04/03/2007 16:50:33 MDT Print View

Ryan, does the pack still use the 65L POE Pneumo LTW Dry Sack or will the 50L also work? Will the pack come with the dry sack or will it need to be purchased separately? If separately then will BPL carry them or should I buy from REI now, so I can start experimenting? Can you gives us a hint at the weight? Sorry for the rapid fire questions.

Ryan Jordan

Re: Re: Arctic 1000 Pack on 04/03/2007 18:21:48 MDT Print View

Eric, the plan right now is to ship the packs with both 50L and 65L dry bags from POE. It's easy for us to pass some cost savings on to the customer rather than making you buy them at retail, and we can provide two of these for an added cost of the pack equivalent to the price of one at retail.

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Arctic 1000 Pack on 04/03/2007 20:51:09 MDT Print View

Thanks Ryan, that's great news. The 65L should be good for cold weather use, and the 50L for warm.

John Gale
(jgale)
Re: Re: ULA Arctic 1000 Packs on 04/04/2007 18:41:12 MDT Print View

Please put me on the list as well.

John

Ryan Jordan

2007 Arctic Dry Pack PHOTOS & OTHER INFO on 04/05/2007 14:51:23 MDT Print View

We've posted a few photos, along with features and specs, of the final production prototype of the Arctic Dry Pack here:

Arctic Dry Pack Product Page.

We are expecting these to start shipping June 1. The packs will ship with both 50L and 65L Pacific Outdoor Equipment Pneumo LTW dry bags.

There will likely be a prepurchase period of about 4-5 weeks, so stay tuned for more info starting around April 20.

Edited by ryan on 04/05/2007 14:52:44 MDT.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
these are totally waterproof, yes? on 04/05/2007 14:56:16 MDT Print View

you guys went swimming with these on & they kept everything dry, right?

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Re: 2007 Arctic Dry Pack PHOTOS & OTHER INFO on 04/05/2007 14:57:58 MDT Print View

Ryan,
Thanks for posting pics, they look great! Are the dry bags that come with the pack going to be the Solar Orange color?

Is there any worry of the connection to the shoulder straps on the dry bag failing over time?

Edited by dstenberg1 on 04/05/2007 15:40:59 MDT.

Ryan Jordan

Re: these are totally waterproof, yes? on 04/05/2007 15:01:49 MDT Print View

Cary: yes, so long as (a) the valve is closed (!) and (b) the roll top gets three full turns, and (c) if you swim in it, you should blow the bag up to induce positive air pressure in it.

I settled on these dry bags based on our experience on the Arctic 1000, packrafting, and some test results performed by Carol Crooker, published here.

Edited by ryan on 04/05/2007 15:02:30 MDT.

Ryan Jordan

Re: Re: 2007 Arctic Dry Pack PHOTOS & OTHER INFO on 04/05/2007 15:06:06 MDT Print View

David: Yes, they will be that color. I think this fall, we'll also stock replacement bags for the packs, after all, they will wear out with use. Those replacement bags will be custom colored, and we'll certainly do one that is more muted.

The dry bag corners seem to be holding up great. You don't really put a lot of stress there, most of the load is carried on the hips. BUT in the event of failure, we do have a workaround built in, where the shoulder straps are connected and slide under a loop on the bottom panel of the pack. It's slick, and gives a fully dynamic shoulder strap system. Some folks may actually prefer it, it gives you a fix in the field of the dry bag corner fails, and allows you to use the pack with non-POE branded dry bags that don't have these slots.

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Re: Re: Re: 2007 Arctic Dry Pack PHOTOS & OTHER INFO on 04/05/2007 15:40:18 MDT Print View

Ryan,
Thank you for the reply. That answers several of my questions. I look forward to seeing the designs in person.

Kenneth Knight
(kenknight) - MLife

Locale: SE Michigan
storing a packraft on 04/05/2007 16:40:25 MDT Print View

Ryan, could I use this pack with a 50L dry bag for the bulk of my gear and also store separately, that it not in the dry bag, my Alpacka packraft and have them both on the harness? Could I squeeze a broken down 4-piece carbon fiber paddle in their too?

I'm thinking of trips where I might have a lot of hiking and a moderate amount of paddling. Rahter like the Isle Royale trip I did last year (and I've another one planned for this year) - yes, still need to do a true packrafting river trip but not sure where and don't want to go alone (odd, I'm willing to paddle short open water stretches on the Great Lakes solo, but not do a river with rapids solo).