(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
$100 woodstove + $2 Pot... on 04/09/2007 13:58:19 MDT Print View

Does any one else find irony in that?

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: $100 woodstove + $2 Pot... on 04/09/2007 14:10:52 MDT Print View

Oh man, you're not kidding. This really made me laugh. Quite a contrast from the $1 can of pop and the $70 titanium pot, which I also find a great deal of irony in.

Here's a remarkable thing. A popcan stove, a mcdonald's spoon, and a walmart mug - a $3 trip to WM gets you hiking light and entire functional. I love that about lightweight backpacking, it encompasses the full spectrum.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Re: $100 woodstove + $2 Pot... on 04/09/2007 14:31:05 MDT Print View

I recently started work on a fourth gearlist - one that consists entirely of items I've either purchased at thrift stores or found used and really cheap.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Soot on pot bottoms? on 04/09/2007 18:28:40 MDT Print View

To anyone who's used one of these--
Does one begin using the stove as soon as it's lit, or should one wait until coals form (though perhaps twigs don't yield many coals?) And does soot build up on the bottom of the cooking pot (possibly spreading later inside ones pack), or does whatever attaches wash quickly off?
Thanks for the info

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: Soot on pot bottoms? on 04/09/2007 19:17:38 MDT Print View

Soot's only cosmetic. Keep your pot in a bag when you stow it. Flames lapping up the sides of the pot a little deliver the best heat. You'll be waiting a long time if you're cooking over coals.

Antonio Abad
(tonyabad) - F
Re: Re: $100 woodstove + $2 Pot... on 04/09/2007 19:26:52 MDT Print View

"a $3 trip to WM gets you hiking light and entire functional."

Also, a $15 trip to Home Depot (plus a knowledge of a sheet bend knot) can get your shelter needs taken care of.

IME, the only lightweight items for which its difficult to find cheap, adequate substitutes are the pack and sleeping bag.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
bushbuddy and pot combo on 04/09/2007 20:46:41 MDT Print View

FireLite 1100 Titanium Pot + Bushbuddy Ultra Wood Stove

I like the 39 oz capacity / weighs 3.1 oz
(vs my MSR Titan Kettle's 24 oz / weighs 4.2 oz)
$64 reasonable price compared to the Kettle at $50

The Bushbuddy looks good when you consider that your fuel weight goes away. Excellent craftmanship according to those that have them in hand - not to mention the inspiration after reading about the Artic1000 trek.

Together - a good design and good value.

Before I change my mind, if both are in stock, then I'm going for it.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
BTW - Aluminum Mug Question on 04/09/2007 21:30:20 MDT Print View

Where abouts in the myriad departments in Walmart did you guys find that mug? If it's that big, I may pass the tip on that on to the Scouts I work with (as well as appropriating a couple for myself).

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Locale: Midwest US
Re: BTW - Aluminum Mug Question on 04/09/2007 22:30:22 MDT Print View

I looked tonight at my local Walmart and didn't find one. I got tired of looking. The place is huge and swarming with people. I can't spend a lot of time in a place like that... drives me crazy. Next time perhaps.

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: BTW - Aluminum Mug Question on 04/11/2007 10:39:21 MDT Print View

Apparently some of you have been unsuccessful in finding the aluminum mug at Walmart. The mug/pot has an Imusa label on it and is manufactured and/or imported from Mexico. It has been discussed quite a bit on other lightweight backpacking forums and seems to be a brand that is carried by Kmarts, Walmarts, Targets and other such stores. One of the discussions can be found at:

http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/thread/41849,-1.php

The above thread has it 3 at ozs. My old beat up postal scale (pictured above) shows it to weigh 4 ozs. It is probably somewhere in between. If you can find it, it holds water (lots of it), the BBU fits inside nicely and the price is right. I googled “imusa aluminum mug” and was able to find several hits.

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Re: New BUSHBUDDY Ti Pot on 04/12/2007 13:26:09 MDT Print View

My SUL-1100 arrived today and I couldn't be happier. The lid fits perfectly so the problem with the earlier FireLite pots lid not fitting seems to have been resolved. There are smudges and fingerprints on the lid but that's just like the photo so these are to spec as far as I am concerned. All things considered it's pretty much what I was hoping for and I can't wait to start using it in the field.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
FireLite 1100 Titanium Pot on 04/12/2007 13:40:27 MDT Print View

The mailman just delivered my Firelite 1100 Titanium Pot. The lid fits perfectly on this pot. There is a fair amount of friction in the wire handle attachment so it should stand upright during use for some time. The only "defect" I can see is that the material used to fabricate the lid does not have the same finish as the pot. The pot body has the soft matte titanium finish we all know and love, while the finish on the lid is glossy and a lighter "silvery" color. We're lucky, here in Marin County, that the Fashion Police are more concerned that your hiking socks don't clash with your ascot (bandana).

My Bushbuddy Ultra hasn't arrived yet but I look forward to putting the two together and running some boil tests. Now, where in northern California may one use a wood stove without a spark arrester?

Firelite SUL-1100 Cookpot

The mesh bag that came with the pot is almost big enough to hold the MSR 2 liter pot. I'll probably be using a plastic bag to keep the soot off my gear.

You've got a hit here Dr. J.

Edited by redleader on 04/12/2007 13:44:21 MDT.

Paulo Pereira
(ppereira007) - F
another one? on 04/12/2007 15:25:01 MDT Print View

hmmmm

http://www.woodgas-stove.com/

someone please tell me i don't need anymore stoves ;)

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: another one? on 04/12/2007 16:49:33 MDT Print View

Easy there Paulo. We'll talk you down. Just relax and think calming thoughts. Now, repeat after me: "I've got all the gear I need." "What I need is to get out and hike." Take slow deep breaths and let your heart beat slowly and evenly. Remember: I'm OK and You're OK. It's those other guys that are Gearheads.

Jason Shaffer
(PA_Jay) - F

Locale: on the move....
Re: FireLite 1100 Titanium Pot on 04/12/2007 18:56:13 MDT Print View

Just chiming in to echo Denis and James. My 1100 pot is great - lid fits, handle stands upright, nests w/ BB perfectly. Good job guys.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: bushbuddy and pot combo on 04/12/2007 20:49:18 MDT Print View

Wow! Ordered on Monday night and arrived today (Thursday).

The Bushbuddy Ultra is a manifestation of superb craftsmanship. Its design is simple yet elegant.

bushbuddy

The Firelite 1100 pot looks just like the picture. The lid fits well.

The pot and stove together weighed a bit over 7 oz on my humble Salter Add & Weigh kitchen scale.

I'm glad that I bought the pot designed for the stove because the stove is too high to fit in my MSR Titan kettle.

size 1

size 2

Will test and review later.

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Locale: South
Re: Re: bushbuddy and pot combo on 04/12/2007 21:28:46 MDT Print View

I too just got my Firelite 1100 pot in the mail. The pot is perfect for the Bushbuddy Ultra. I can't wait to go test them out! My pot did come with a very small scrape/dent in it and the lid had a couple little dings, but the lid fits great. I don't mind the cosmetic blemishes, no problem since it will get that way after use anyway. I also have the Snow Peak 900, but like the Firelite more. Thanks BPL for another great product!

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Re: Re: Re: bushbuddy and pot combo on 04/12/2007 22:36:43 MDT Print View

Gear never really looks good until it's a little dinged up and dirty anyway... all these photos of pots not black with soot! Shame on us... time to hit the trail.

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
Re: Re: Re: bushbuddy and pot combo on 04/13/2007 03:49:34 MDT Print View

David, How does the Snow Peak 900 fit with the Bushbuddy, which was designed to fit in the 900. Do you ever use the minute fry pan/lid? I wonder how much the 900 weighs without the handles on the main pot??

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Locale: South
Re: Re: Re: Re: bushbuddy and pot combo on 04/13/2007 06:25:11 MDT Print View

Michael, I can't remember the weights off the top of my head. I will try and weigh in later today. I never used the Snow Peak 900 b/c I decided to wait and see the Firelite 1100 before I got it all sooted up. The bushbuddy fits perfectly in the snow peak. The video introducing the bushbuddy seems to be a Snow Peak 900 without handles or lid (not compeletly sure though). Also there is another thread about the snow peak 900 and bushbuddy with pictures.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/6885/index.html