Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Christmas wish list
Display Avatars Sort By:
doug thomas
(sparky52804) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Iowa
Christmas wish list on 11/22/2012 08:59:45 MST Print View

Today (Thanksgiving) is the day my family is SUPPOSED to have there Christmas gift lists ready to exchange. I was wondering what you all would have on your list that you would not normally buy for yourself.

For me it would be a nunatak arc expedition. I sleep pretty cold and think the 5 degree rating would really fit the bill, but at almost 600 bucks it's not something I would normally spend the money on for such a limited use piece of gear.

So how about you, what would you like Santa to bring you for Christmas?

oh, and a neoair battery powered mattress pump because I'm basically lazy.

Edited by sparky52804 on 11/22/2012 10:23:45 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Christmas wish list on 11/22/2012 11:12:04 MST Print View

A road bike made out of bamboo. I'd love one of those things.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Christmas wish list on 11/22/2012 11:41:44 MST Print View

Get the company I work for to move HQ to a mountainous state, failing that a 30f sleeping bag ;-)

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Re: Christmas wish list on 11/22/2012 11:51:44 MST Print View

Seekoutside medium titanium stove - http://seekoutside.com/products/wood-stoves/

Western Mountaineering Sequoia MF - http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&ContentId=39

Dehydrated alcohol crystals

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Christmas wish list on 11/22/2012 11:55:07 MST Print View

You'll love the pad inflator. Hope Santa provides.

I can think of a few things I would like.

Another Duomid in olive. I don't know why I sold this off the first two times.

A pair of BD Alpine Carbon Corks, the old style are fine.

A larger pack than my Ohm. Need something larger for my Bearikade.

Other than that I'm pretty much set. Other than a new computer my needs are covered and my wants are small.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Meh on 11/22/2012 12:09:55 MST Print View

A decent surgeon.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Christmas wish list on 11/22/2012 12:12:25 MST Print View

After all of my MYOG adventures I will become a customer of Tim Marshall. It will be a Revelation X 30 degree overstuffed top quilt for me. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: Meh on 11/22/2012 16:15:02 MST Print View

I refuse to travel to Scotland...

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Meh on 11/22/2012 18:34:38 MST Print View

World peace

Barring that, I would settle for an improvement in the weather starting the week before Xmas.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Christmas Wish List on 11/22/2012 19:58:52 MST Print View

Nothing too excessive:
big plate of waffles,
Crown Royal, Maple Finish
Tim Marshall quilt (been on my list for a while now, thanks for the reminder Newton).

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Christmas Wish List on 11/22/2012 21:25:43 MST Print View

I wish the Idester will find a nice woman to live with -- one who can cook well too

Michael Mathisen
(mathix)

Locale: Oregon
Re: Christmas wish list on 11/22/2012 23:32:28 MST Print View

I'd go for a synthetic quilt from Tim Marshall. Over the summer I took my 3yr old daughter on a camping trip, she absolutely loved her Daddy's JRB Sierra Sniveller. I on the other hand did not enjoy the Disney Princess Bag. Two full size quilts would be nice!

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re Meh on 11/23/2012 10:52:21 MST Print View

@Dean.
US surgery is too expensive for me to travel to you!
Actually, maybe it's a US lawyer i need, as the surgery would be a repair of a surgeons previous butcher job. :-)

a b
(Ice-axe)
Re: Re Meh on 11/23/2012 11:41:47 MST Print View

Chunk of undeveloped land in or near the Tularosa mountains of New Mexico... Heck ANYWHERE in New Mexico near the Continental Divide.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Christmas wish list on 11/23/2012 16:45:41 MST Print View

My Red-Headed 'Santa' gave me my gift early, like last week, when he snagged me what I had wanted for a long while on a good price.......(the lowest so far).
http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES860XL-Barista-Express-Espresso/dp/B002S51RQG/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp
And his present? Yeah...his barista making him mochas every morning :-P I was a barista for 9 years so within 3 test shots that machine makes better drinks than a coffee house ;-) I am in love with it.

All I want is Santa to bring me some new accessories to go with it ;-)

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Christmas wish list on 11/24/2012 14:55:09 MST Print View

multiple single malts old enough to drive.

A real sewing machine.

14 day inclusive way south of the border.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Not just Christmas, but everyday on 11/25/2012 00:09:16 MST Print View

No gear for me, I just want all my family and friends to be safe and well, for many years to come, now lets go hiking!

Edited by jumpbackjack on 11/25/2012 00:11:15 MST.

Ben Smith
(bsmith_90) - M

Locale: Epping Forest
all i want for christmas... on 11/25/2012 05:25:35 MST Print View

a big dump of pow on the Portes Du Soleil ski region in time for my arrival on December 14. It can keep snowing each night until I leave just after the new year ;)

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
Christmas List on 11/25/2012 06:28:48 MST Print View

@Ken T “Another Duomid in olive. I don't know why I sold this off the first two times.”
Ken, I can see selling once, but twice?? :-) Having said that I guess a cuben Duomid would be very high on my list if I didn't spend most of my time in a hammock.

@Michael M. “I on the other hand did not enjoy the Disney Princess Bag.” LOL,where's your sense of adventure, man! Sounds like you're a great dad!

@Mike R. Sorry to hear about you bad surgery. Hope you find a great surgeon soon!

@a b “Chunk of undeveloped land in or near the Tularosa mountains of New Mexico... Heck ANYWHERE in New Mexico near the Continental Divide.” Oh yeah!!

@Tim Z “multiple single malts old enough to drive.” Oh yeah again....I'm not a big drinker, but a friend brought 16 oz of a 20 yo SM on our group Pecos trip last summer..I thought he was nuts for packing in that much alcohol, and the first night he passed it around I said, "no I don't really care for scotch" and he countered that it was no ordinary scotch, so I decided to try it....OMGosh, let's just say I was more than happy to partake in lightening his load each evening! I might even buy next trip...as long as he carries it LOL!

@Jack E. “No gear for me, I just want all my family and friends to be safe and well, for many years to come, now lets go hiking!” What a wonderful Christmas wish!
After all that's what it's really all about, and not just at the holidays!

I've pretty much got my gear close to where I want it,well aside from a cuben Duomid, that I don't realllllly need. Just wish that I had more hiking partners that had the same time off that I do (teacher)....oh, and I wish whatever's wrong with my car doesn't cost too much!! I've been stuck at home since Thanksgiving evening due to a disabled car. I was very thankful I made it the 200 miles home from hiking though.

Mark Primack
(Bufa) - MLife

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland
Just little stocking stuffers on 11/25/2012 08:33:04 MST Print View

All I want for xmas is a little ranchito, ranchero, or even a small cottage somewhere between Mammoth, WY and Bozeman MT.

That and whirled peas would make me a happy camper.

Well, to be honest, given my 65 year old joints and back, a personal sherpa would also be very very nice.

PS: I and just about everyone of my family and friends feel that we got a really big gift already this year. This was the first year ever that all at the Thanksgiving table had voted for winners. When we had the inevitable and typically divisive political segment of dinner, we were all smiling as if it were Christmas morn!

Ben Smith
(bsmith_90) - M

Locale: Epping Forest
re: Christmas wish list on 11/25/2012 08:43:32 MST Print View

@Mark - a personal sherpa; the ultimate in ultralight backpacking?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Christmas wish list on 11/25/2012 23:47:50 MST Print View

I need to update mine. I still hope Doug will find a super lady. In the mean time, I asked Santa for a Sony RX100 camera. She said yes and ordered it online today. She says I can't open it until Dec 25th though. Santa rocks!!

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

Locale: Rocky Mtn. West
hmm. on 11/26/2012 08:05:05 MST Print View

The agnostic in me thinks "whatever. not likely there is a REAL santa claus". But in the mythical land of Christmas and candy canes, I would ask Santa for a Hilleberg Soulo. Yah, that would be *real* nice.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
I'm worried about Santa on 11/27/2012 07:24:32 MST Print View

I've been pining for a Cap 4 hoody, so I ordered one from Backcountry.com on Friday. In Salt Lake, they gave it to Santa for delivery. Then the route to Boulder, CO went through Louisville, KY and Billings, MT on its way to Colorado. It should arrive today. But I'm thinking Santa was sipping egg nog or something, and got his route all screwed up.

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

Locale: Rocky Mtn. West
@ Gary on 11/27/2012 07:48:31 MST Print View

lol..congrats on the Cap 4. I saw them in person at Neptune this weekend and wow are they nice and fashionable (esp. compared to my $37 military issue).

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
@ Rascal on 11/27/2012 08:43:15 MST Print View

"...wow are they nice and fashionable." Yeah, that's me, Rascal--nice and quite fashionable. I'll do anything to earn the respect of my back yard bunnies and squirrels.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Christmas wish list on 11/27/2012 09:35:21 MST Print View

I'm wishing for more free time away from house projects and work.

Winter's here, I want to get out there!

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Christmas wish list on 11/27/2012 12:25:02 MST Print View

Amazingly, there's nothing related to backpacking on this year's wish list. I don't even have a wish list this year! Supposedly the family is giving me a new computer--mine still works but has definitely exceeded its useful life.

My main wish is for no more injuries/illness for either me or my aging dog next spring and summer so I can actually spend the time backpacking for a change!

Edited by hikinggranny on 11/27/2012 12:33:28 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Christmas wish list on 11/27/2012 17:19:14 MST Print View

"My main wish is for no more injuries/illness for either me or my aging dog next spring and summer so I can actually spend the time backpacking for a change!"

Here's hoping Santa is listening. And that you've been good. ;)

The priceless gift of good health should be at the top of everyone's list, but you usually have to have a few hundred thousand miles on life's odometer before you start to figure that out.