Forum Index » GEAR » '12 JMT gear reflections

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
12 JMT gear reflections on 11/22/2012 19:32:33 MST Print View

There's a good review of the Zpacks quilts here (based on 60 nights use).
http://tramplite.com/2012/11/z-packs-20-deg-down-sleeping-bagquilt.html

Generally it is positive, but it does identify the foot box as its weakness. I wont be testing mine until next week, but I use either possum down socks or Goosefeet, so I don't foresee any problems. The cut of the Zpacks quilts seems to me great for side and stomach sleepers. If I was a back sleeper I would have got a Katabatic quilt. They may also work great for some stomach and side sleepers.

Eric Fredricksen
(efredricksen) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley
Pillow on 11/22/2012 23:07:41 MST Print View

How about a FlexAir inflatable pillow at half an ounce? I find them much more comfortable that wadded up clothes.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Gloves on 11/23/2012 19:34:58 MST Print View

I like REI glove liners. $10 and only about an ounce. Breath pretty well and have excellent sun protection. They are also good if you are day hiking and want protection climbing on what ever. I've considered the white fingerless sun gloves but they look a bit fragile and I really like the finger protection anyway. My $.02.

Also, cold feet. Find something you can prop your feet up with like leaves or other foliage around your camp site. Even with a full length pad, I put my pack under my feet for better insulation from the cold ground. If you are gonna buy a new quilt/bag, consider at 20* version. Better to have a little more buffer. Or you could use a down puffy on your legs. Wanted to try that earlier this year but didn't need to.

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle) - F
Re: on 11/30/2012 11:46:06 MST Print View

@Michael:
I had the LT4s get stuck in between rocks several times and felt them bend a bit under my weight as I moved forward. I was a bit worried each time I felt it happen, but they were never damaged. I caught myself from falls a few times as well. By the end of the trip, I was so confident in their sturdiness that as I was running down from Whitney (I ran a lot on the JMT, actually - and waited ahead for my hiking partner), I would reach ahead with the poles as far as I could, jump and launch myself forward with all of my weight on the poles. I'm sure they weren't built for this kind of stress, but they were fine.

http://www.sungrubbies.com/product_index_html/product_detail_html/Sun-glove-Backhander.htm
Are you talking about something like these? They look like they'd work well. Kind of thick, though - but coolmax is a great material.

I'm thinking about getting the 1.7oz down pillow from GooseFeet, possibly with the stuff sack option, so I can stuff my extra clothes behind the down. I would think that a down pillow would be more comfortable than an air pillow.

@Brad Fisher:
I ordered some PossumDown socks, but still have my finger on the GooseFeet trigger. I guess I like the fact that I can wear the PossumDown socks in my shoes around camp without awkwardly waddling around with booties on. ;)

I really loved the PackitGourmet smoothies. By drinking calories, do you mean drink mixes such as Crystal Light or protein drinks? Any suggestions?
As for salami, I'm def. bringing a big summer sausage or something next trip. I tried some Tanka Bars before the JMT and really liked them, but ultimately didn't bring them because I thought they were too low calorie. I think I'll try bringing some next time, may be more appetizing than straight jerky. Perhaps its the dryness/saltiness of jerky that really turns me off while hiking. The TankaBars are moist and have a nice combination of sweet and salty.

I've decided on the MLD DuoMid, mostly because my girlfriend things that tarps are too exposed and wants a "little house," as she puts it.

I ordered a 30 deg Enlightened Equipment quilt with 30% overfill. I think the EE quilts are more true to their rating, at least for cold sleepers like me. I'm also waiting to snipe a WM Ultralite for when I want something even warmer, or when I bring a friend/girlfriend along. The way I see it, if I have someone sleeping next to me, the EE bag will be warm enough, if I don't, I may want to bring the Ultralite depending on expected temps.

I ordered a couple Klymit Static Vs. I'm also planning to get a full length GG thinlight 1/8" to use in addition to my 3/8" torso length. I'll keep my Gorilla pad and pack under my feet too, I just have to figure out how to get them to stay there.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions!

Edited by travis.bickle on 11/30/2012 11:47:27 MST.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn)

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: Re: on 11/30/2012 17:53:31 MST Print View

"I really loved the PackitGourmet smoothies. By drinking calories, do you mean drink mixes such as Crystal Light or protein drinks? Any suggestions."

Packit has great stuff but I have never tried the smoothies. I will order some next time around.

Drinking calories:
- I have used Hammer Nutrition Perpetum in the past without any issue. Even ran a marathon using it. However this year I had a few issues after a few days. Next year I'm switching to Hammer Heed which I have also used successfully in the past. I would just suggest trying a few and see what you like. These are not protein drinks. I use protein drinks at camp for recovery (ie Syntha 6).

Everybody is different when it comes to food. Find something you like and are able to stomach. Makes no sense to focus on the lightest food if you don't eat it. It's a balance.

Brad Fisher

Michael S
(CascadeBackpacker) - MLife

Locale: Pacific NW
12 JMT on 12/02/2012 14:56:18 MST Print View

What time of year did you do your '12 JMT Hike and what time of year do you plan on doing your '13 JMT Hike?

I did the JMT in late July '12 where both my buddy and I just cowboy camped each night. I brought a tarp but never used it, mostly because of the conditions and the fact that my buddy snoring required some space between us to cut down on the noise! I had a 30 degree FF bag and I stayed plenty warm each night even up at 10,200 feet. Of course, every body is different and campsite selection can make quite a difference as well.