Forum Index » GEAR » So who else is going to wait and not buy an insulatig jacket this year?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Costco Parka on 11/23/2012 20:20:19 MST Print View

Just buy one of these and for $29.99 plus tax you'll be just fine. It's 12 oz, but warm and can be used for a jacket or worn as pants as part of a sleep system with your other jacket. Save some bucks in the process. Kinda what Eugene is getting at.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Slave labor on 11/23/2012 21:31:07 MST Print View

Yes, just buy yet another chinese slave labor made item.. Blissfully unaware and unculpable. Costco, Walmart, Kmart, Apple.. We Are Directly Supporting Slave Labor.

Mark Andrews
(buldogge) - F

Locale: Midwest
Not me apparently... on 11/23/2012 21:38:17 MST Print View

I actually couldn't help myself and bought TWO insulation layers today.

First I swung by REI and grabbed a Revelcloud Hoodie for $80 and then I ran into EB and sweet talked my way into using a 20% off card along with the 40% off Black Friday sale...frankly, I couldn't pass up the EB Downlight Hoody for $113 out the door!

-Mark in St. Louis

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Re: Slave labor on 11/24/2012 03:21:29 MST Print View

Yes, just buy yet another chinese slave labor made item.. Blissfully unaware and unculpable. Costco, Walmart, Kmart, Apple.. We Are Directly Supporting Slave Labor.

lol ... ever notice that the $$$$ patagucci down sweater is made in vietnam and china ;)

better stop typing on your computer ... its made in slavery in some hell hole country

i love slaves ...

Edited by bearbreeder on 11/24/2012 03:24:57 MST.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
oh well on 11/24/2012 08:03:24 MST Print View

Personally, I try to use fleece whenever possibly. It is my main insulation layer when it starts to get cold. I use both a Pat R2 and some Expedition weight bottoms.

I have a Montbell UL Down Jacket (which is for sale) from a few years ago but I never use it because when it is cold around here to use it around freezing the air is usually damp and I don't want to take the chance. And for far below freezing I have a Montbell Alpine Jacket with a Nunatak Down Balaclava.

It would be nice to get a 100g/m2 synthetic jacket for the in-between places where the fleece is not enough and the down jacket is too much. It is just that I hate spending lots of money on pieces like synthetic that I know are not made to last for the long haul. A nice lightweight waterproof down might fit this niche if I wanted to spend big money otherwise a really cheap 100/g/m2 synth would do the trick. I know people really like 60g/m2 but those are barely warmer than my R2 and for just a few ounces more I can get a lot more warmth out of a 100g/m2. The Costco Parka sounds nice but there is not one even close to me and online does not show it. I was going to buy a $50 100 g/m2 Stoic but it sold out before I could get to it.

I don't think synthetic jackets are made in the USA. Or computers for that matter. It would be nice if someone could make one that was basically 6 openable compartments (left, right, back, collar, left arm and right arm) so that you could swap the segments out after a few years. Tha jacket that is.

But if the waterproof down really does work out if will be nice for the quilts and bags. And it would provide a nice safety check on a down jacket so that you just would not have to worry about them as much.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
synth jacket made in usa by on 11/24/2012 12:12:48 MST Print View

wild things. they will make the insulite jacket with your choice of 3 shell material along with cuff and panel options. they will also let you pick between 2 and 4 oz primaloft sport for the filling. i've had one for a while (stock hooded version) and am very happy.