Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
DriDucks vs. O2 gear
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Caldwell
(dalemc) - F

Locale: Coastal Georgia
DriDucks vs. O2 gear on 11/19/2012 16:23:57 MST Print View

I haven't tried either but both look light and cheap. Any recommendations or comparisons on these two products is appreciated. I know DriDucks are popular on here but I want to know whether or not O2 is a better option. Thanks!

Dale South
(dsouth) - M

Locale: Southeast
RE: DriDucks vs OS2 on 11/19/2012 17:04:28 MST Print View

http://jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com/2010/02/comparison-frogg-toggs-dri-ducks-and-o2.html

James Arzigian
(Renais) - M
Different leagues on 11/19/2012 17:14:48 MST Print View

I've tried both DriDucks and O2 Rainshield. In my opinion, the O2 gear is much better built, more comfortable, more breathable, and quite a bit more durable. My set in large cost about $20 a piece for pants and jacket on Amazon, and weighs 4.15 oz. pants, 6.0 oz. jacket. The O2 seems to tolerate pack straps well, and packs quite compactly. The jacket is breathable enough that it could also act as a wind shirt if needed.
Jim

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Different leagues on 11/19/2012 19:27:16 MST Print View

I would agree that the O2 has an edge over DriDucks... but I wouldn't say that it was a huge advantage. Maybe +10%

--Mark

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
bulk on 11/20/2012 15:54:57 MST Print View

Don't these particular products take up a lot of room in the pack? I have a set of Frogg Toggs I carry in my car, and seems to me like it isn't very compressible. I use a Marmot Crystalline jacket and a Go-Lite Tumalo pants, and they don't take up much room in my pack at all.

Maybe I just need to squish the Frogg Toggs more?

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: bulk on 11/20/2012 16:45:02 MST Print View

Using the stuff bag that the 02 Rain Gear came in....both the top and bottoms squish down to the size of a cantalope.

Not huge, but not small either.

I am sure if I put it in a compression bag, I could squish it down further with no ill effects on the material.

-Tony

Dale South
(dsouth) - M

Locale: Southeast
RE: Bulk on 11/20/2012 19:41:19 MST Print View

Frogg Toggs do not pack down small but DriDucks pack and O2's pack down much smaller. My DriDucks pack down about half the size of Frogg Toggs which is the main reason that I replaced my Frogg Toggs with DriDucks.

Yes 1000
(mamamia)
Driducks/Frogg Toggs on 11/20/2012 19:42:21 MST Print View

They are okay as rainwear, but after couple of day hikes in our Columbia Gorge trails, I already see few holes in the jacket.

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Comparison on 11/21/2012 08:15:09 MST Print View

More than an edge Mark, in my experience. My O2 Rainshield lasted several years and resistant to brush but the Dri Ducks ripped, flayed and turned to shreds the first hour of use on a clear and brushed trail. I paid half as much for the Dri Ducks but it didn't measure to even that value in use. Just my experience to a prospective buyer of cheap rain gear.

Edited by johnk on 11/21/2012 08:16:17 MST.

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: Comparison on 11/21/2012 16:42:12 MST Print View

Sounds like there might be some production problems with the Dri Ducks. My experience (with several pairs of both) are more like Mark's. In general though, anyone buying any Propore (made by anyone) should assume that it is as fragile as tissue paper (but extremely water proof and breathable).