Forum Index » GEAR » Waterproof and tough Gloves for scrambling.

Display Avatars Sort By:
John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Neoprene.. on 11/19/2012 15:22:30 MST Print View

Read reviews on the NRS on REI and NRS website. Some mention not very durable.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Waterproof and tough Gloves for scrambling. on 11/19/2012 15:24:44 MST Print View

How about these gloves? Not really ultralight but they would be durable.

http://www.cabelas.com/mens-shooting-gloves-cabelas-kangaroo-leather-gore-tex-thinsulate-8482-shooting-gloves.shtml#BVRRWidgetID

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: wells lamont on 11/19/2012 15:55:03 MST Print View

David, thanks.
I also found them on Amazon for $4.99 (w/free shipping for me), I ordered me a dozen!

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
white "string" utility gloves on 11/19/2012 16:15:31 MST Print View

I also have used these white "string" utility gloves for hiking. They worked OK for my first summer hiking gloves but I always yearned for something more protective and less "dirty" to wear. By that I mean every little twig or pointy rock would poke thru the fabric and by the end of the day my hands would be filthy and wet from grabbing handholds on wet, moss-covered rocks, roots and branches. But because they are so cheap they were basically disposable which was good since they would be shredded after a few day hikes anyway. I could not see myself wanting to use these in sustained cold winter rains, especially at altitude.

Edited by rmjapan on 11/19/2012 16:56:54 MST.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
string gloves on 11/19/2012 16:40:18 MST Print View

every quickstop and hardware store carries the white string gloves around here.

They are not warm enough for all situations by themselves, but often are and save my
good gloves and mittens from hard use. You can even layer them up if you get some loose
enough.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
my outdoor Winter glove on 11/19/2012 19:07:03 MST Print View

FWIW, my most "waterproof" lightweight Winter glove is this Montbell Climabarrier Glove at ~85g/pair bought 4 seasons ago.

http://webshop.montbell.jp/common/images/product/prod_k/k_1108725_dkma.jpg

Not sure what other technical fabric brand it resembles, but Montbell says this about Climabarrier, http://www.montbell.us/products/techinfo/techsys/material/material44.html

This glove is pretty warm even when inactive all the way to freezing and passes my 5min under-the-faucet "waterproof" test. The outer fabric wets out within a minute or so but the inner stays completely dry. Wet outer drys quickly though. Downside is lack of a fully reiforced palm, inhibited finger dexterity and no way to attach a leash.

Thus my interest in Montbells new OutDry rainglove. Basically a 70g uninsulated shell I could layer over any one of the lighter gloves I have.

http://webshop.montbell.jp/common/images/product/prod_k/k_1108702_drd.jpg

Unfortunately for most here, Montbell does not appear to sell these outside Japan!

Edited by rmjapan on 11/19/2012 19:26:40 MST.

Douglas Ray
(dirtbagclimber)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
durability of Neoprene.... on 11/20/2012 09:14:50 MST Print View

I seem to go through a couple of pairs of these a year, I don't keep track of how many days. I'd say they last about as long as a pair of fleece gloves. NRS does make other models, some with reinforced palms and fingers that would probably last much longer. I can't bring myself to give up the dexterity though.

I did try some much cheaper neoprene gloves from glacierglove, and they were trashed in two days of climbing. I decided that the NRS ones were more economical in the long run. I've given in to gloves being a consumable item.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Neoprene as an insulating layer on 11/20/2012 14:24:33 MST Print View

I've used neoprene gloves for sea kayaking and duck hunting (decoy handling). They must be reinforced first with Shoe Goo at wear areas, like inside thumb-to-forefinger and fingertips.

THEN put a size XL synthetic work glove over them to protect them.