Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » New Episodes of UL A-Z

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F

Locale: So. Cal.
Finland and Kickstarter on 04/17/2013 19:53:33 MDT Print View

Apparently this was big news in Finland. http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/09/08/050233/finnish-bureaucracy-takes-issue-with-crowdfunded-textbook

"Senja Larsen, who runs popular Facebook study group Senja teaches you Swedish, collected $14,161 via Kickstarter's crowd funding service. The project caught much media attention in Finland (TV and all major newspapers), since it is the first crowdfunded book project in this country, and among the first Finnish crowdfunded projects. (Previous ones include the movie Iron Sky, the role-playing game Myrskyn Sankarit, and the Wishbone headphone wire manager). Now, after successfully collecting the funds for the book (and after the book has been edited and printed), the National Police Board of Finland has asked Senja to submit a statement [PDF; Finnish] concerning using crowdfunding to finance a project [PDF; Finnish] and the terminology used. It is possible that all the funding collected must be returned. The main problem is that direct translations of terminology at Kickstarter, such as 'bounty' and 'support,' are interpreted to mean collecting money without giving anything back, and this kind of operation requires a permit which can be only given to associations, not to private persons, and it takes long to apply for such permit."

How is this much different than Hendrik, a Finnish resident? Well, actually I would imagine that donors of Senja Larsen would have actually received what they paid for.

I did not contribute to Hendrik's Kickstarter project, but if I did I would be accusing him of theft right about now. "Funding ended: Jul 31, 2011" That's long enough to figure out how to use his nice expensive HD camera bought with Kickstarter funds.

Frank H.
(porker110)

Locale: California
New Episodes of UL A-Z on 04/17/2013 20:00:28 MDT Print View

If you feel like giving more of your hard earned money to Henrik just buy him a cup of coffee or a nice Finnish lunch.

https://holvi.com/shop/hikinginfinland/

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Finland and Kickstarter on 04/17/2013 20:16:04 MDT Print View

I think the "crime" was committed is the US. It was funded via Devon Montgonery through a US funding source, then the money was sent by Devon to Hendrik. Sounds like Devon did this in good faith and should not be criticized.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
New Episodes of UL A-Z on 04/17/2013 20:27:44 MDT Print View

Devon laundered money so Hendrick could get money undisclosed ?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: New Episodes of UL A-Z on 04/17/2013 21:25:15 MDT Print View

It was all upfront on the Kickstarter page. Everything.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
New Episodes of UL A-Z on 04/17/2013 21:37:10 MDT Print View

Wasn't Devon involved in a scandal with Jon a Blahblablah ? Didn't Jon order a stove and paid and waited and waited and waited ?

I see a pattern !

Take money, make people wait, and wait, and wait: KICKSTARTER !

Edited by redmonk on 04/17/2013 21:54:36 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: New Episodes of UL A-Z on 04/18/2013 02:14:55 MDT Print View

D = Detachment

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Kickstarte on 04/18/2013 04:08:45 MDT Print View

Is kickstarter actually making a purchase? I always saw it as an investment in something and not a guarenteed return. It isnt like ordering something from amazon, there is risk involved. It could be that the entire budget has been spent and their isnt any money left for filming. If that were the case and the money was spent honestly I wouldnt say that their is any theft going on. People made an investment and that investment didnt turn out. The level of risk is why it is funded on kickstarter and not from a bank.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Kickstarter on 04/18/2013 06:21:24 MDT Print View

As a supporter, goods were promised. So it is a purchase if you pitched in with enough. Disc sets, stickers, etc.. were all promised

Need more info on failed Kickstarter projects and monies.

Sucks either way.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Kickstarter on 04/18/2013 07:20:29 MDT Print View

I thought if projects weren't delevered you had to give the money back--on kickstarter. It's indiegogo where the project head can take the money and run.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Kickstarter on 04/18/2013 08:00:33 MDT Print View

Seems like any money given to kickstarter should be written off, mentally at least. Consider it a contribution to a worthy person.

If you ever get anything back for your money, consider it a bonus.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Kickstarter on 04/18/2013 08:06:48 MDT Print View

"Seems like any money given to kickstarter should be written off, mentally at least. Consider it a contribution to a worthy person. If you ever get anything back for your money, consider it a bonus."

Kinda like voting for Democrats. Not sure about the worthy part though.....

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: New Episodes of UL A-Z on 04/18/2013 08:28:38 MDT Print View

I didn't invest in the videos, but I did support Devon. Received my stove in a timely fashion. No issues.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Kickstarter on 04/18/2013 08:29:18 MDT Print View

For all of you that supported the BPL pack rafting videos - how are those coming along?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Kickstarter on 04/18/2013 08:38:12 MDT Print View

"Need more info on failed Kickstarter projects and monies."

83% are not completed on time per Kickstarter.

Thoughts on this charity

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Kickstarter on 04/18/2013 09:23:41 MDT Print View

"Kinda like voting for Democrats. Not sure about the worthy part though....."

Ha, ha, ha Doug - just trying to get a reaction out of me : )

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Kickstarter on 04/18/2013 09:26:01 MDT Print View

"83% are not completed on time per Kickstarter.

Thoughts on this charity"

I have to agree with you, Nick

I'm not planning on funding any kickstarter campaigns

It is interesting to see how "the internets" evolves over time

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kickstarter on 04/18/2013 09:36:28 MDT Print View

We have to be smart buyers. If you fund a Kickstarter project and expect to get a product or service, it is buyer beware. Remember the Backcountry Boiler? Devon delivered, but was way behind schedule. A lot of these projects are by people with little business experience, and they get in over their heads. If they knew what they were doing (good product, business experience, etc.) they would not need Kickstarter, they could go through regular product development. Of course with anything in life, there are exceptions.

Now if you view Kickstarter as charity, you are good to go :)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Kickstarter on 04/18/2013 09:55:37 MDT Print View

"Ha, ha, ha Doug - just trying to get a reaction out of me : )"

Drats. I see I'll have to be more clever, which, unfortunately, is not my forte.....

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Kickstarter on 04/18/2013 19:46:26 MDT Print View

"Seems like any money given to kickstarter should be written off, mentally at least. Consider it a contribution to a worthy person. If you ever get anything back for your money, consider it a bonus."

F that. That's too much like enabling. Wait. it is.

But I shan't Kickstart again.