New Episodes of UL A-Z
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: New Episodes of UL A-Z on 04/22/2013 07:30:35 MDT Print View

It would be one thing if Hendrik had fallen off the face of the earth like Kooka Bay essentially did, but he continues to update his blog and go on trips so he certainly has the time to make videos. Granted I wouldn't expect a lot to be done during the winter, but he should well know that poor communication his been a major issue at BPL. A couple simple updates on progress goes a long way (for me at least).

> For all of you that supported the BPL pack rafting videos - how are those coming along?

Fair. There have been 2 updates since funding. I'd expect another one soon. However, as to deliverables, I don't see a Supporters listing on LearnToPackraft.com (est delivery Mar 2013) and I haven't yet received a signed postcard from the crew (est delivery Apr 2013). So I'll give them a C for now.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: New Episodes of UL A-Z on 04/22/2013 10:02:55 MDT Print View

I think he is to busy now that he has started a business giving guided trips ,anybody want to prepay for a trip:)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Re: New Episodes of UL A-Z on 04/22/2013 11:23:08 MDT Print View

Someone will pay for it.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Re: D is for Don't Fail your Sponsors? on 04/22/2013 12:01:15 MDT Print View

Well, at least we can't blame BPL for this.

Or can we?

I would have appreciated an Admin post along the line of "Due to circumstances beyond our control (the failure of the contractor to deliver the promised articles), this feature can no longer be provided. Sorry about that, guys and gals.".

Edited by wandering_bob on 04/22/2013 12:01:56 MDT.

Kyle Meyer
(kylemeyer) - M

Locale: Portland, OR
O is for Obvious on 05/19/2013 23:38:58 MDT Print View

Hendrik on January 25th, 2013:

Good morning Kyle,

and a belated, Happy New Year to you! I hope you had a good start into January and already were able to enjoy the outdoors! I have been indoors myself mostly this month, finishing my Travel Guide about the Pirkan Taival Trail, due to hit the shelves later this spring. However, I gathered some valuable feedback amongst some of you and this has helped me to address what you expect from ULAZ better. First off there's a production schedule in place which you hopefully will be delighted to hear. It should mean more regular videos for your viewing pleasure, starting in February. It also was suggested to give some more advanced tips, which I also will try to incorporate in the next episodes. If you have further feedback or suggestions, please hit reply and let me know!

Four months later, two episodes have come out and the information in the videos is inane. The videos skip over important information for beginners and provide nothing for the experienced backpacker. For instance, I learned in episode P (for Poles) that trekking poles come in fixed length as well as adjustable length and can be used to hold up a tarp or camera. In episode L (for Lights) I learned that red lights preserve night vision. Here's a secret: everyone already knew this stuff, including people who don't even hike. The videos don't even attempt to explain why anyone should care about the information being provided.

This video series had an opportunity to be a voice for true ultralight backpacking tips. A thoughtful, personal look into small ways in which we can enhance our outdoor experiences through knowledge, lighter gear, or dual use. Instead, Hendrik took $11,000 (and a lot of good will) from the community without giving anything valuable back. After getting $11,000 from the community, he further leveraged this idea by getting corporate sponsors (including this site). It's easy to assume he made more than the $11,000 and gained much publicity.

Like Michael Ray mentions above, it'd be one thing if Hendrik fell off a cliff or stopped being active in the community. That's simply not the case. He took our money, bought some new toys, and moved on. Meanwhile, his blog creeps every forward toward a fully paid advertisement for gear he's given by companies.

I don't normally get worked up about losing $15, but the way Hendrik has handled this has been horrible.

In summary: RAH IM MAD

Edited by kylemeyer on 05/19/2013 23:40:08 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: O is for Obvious on 05/20/2013 05:53:01 MDT Print View

You have to chalk it up to a lesson learned. I am sorry he took advantage of many on this forum. He likely could care less since he has new equipment to further his future trips and earnings. And, he doesn't live in this country. But, his bad Karma may turn on him ; ).

When considering giving money to others for any reason, think about how you may feel if you get nothing in return. If it will make you angry, do not give to the cause. Kickstarter is a waste of most money.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: O is for Obvious on 05/20/2013 08:35:43 MDT Print View

That's pretty funny

I agree with you totally

Maybe you will get $15 of entertainment out of it?

Yeah, I think when you give $15 you have to let it go and not expect anything in return. Then maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.