Forum Index » Gear Deals » REI Outlet

Display Avatars Sort By:
George Davis
(nsiderbam) - F

Locale: mid-Atlantic
REI Outlet on 11/17/2012 00:36:34 MST Print View

Some of their mega deals are pretty nice. The ones that caught my eye were their midweight polartech tops and bottoms for about $14-16 each in all sizes. I have some of their lightweight baselayers and they're pretty good -- if you're interested, I'd buy now before they [likely] run out of your size.

http://www.rei.com/outlet/feature/Mega+Deals

Edited by nsiderbam on 11/17/2012 00:37:06 MST.

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
Re: REI Outlet on 11/17/2012 05:54:55 MST Print View

thanks george, i picked up the midweight last week for 19.95 and thought it was a good deal. havent opened them yet, so will be returning them for the even lower price.

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

Locale: Rocky Mtn. West
Sea to Summit Sil pack on 11/17/2012 05:56:36 MST Print View

I'll spend some time this morning looking through to see if I can post some things worth a look.

For instance- do you think the price on this Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Pack at $29.95 is a good one?
http://www.rei.com/product/799600/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-packable-day-pack#video-inner

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Sea to Summit Sil pack on 11/17/2012 07:48:56 MST Print View

I had one and did not like it. No abrasion resistance. And if you put a couple of pounds in it, the fabric shoulder straps bunch up and are not comfortable. That price is not so special either.

But you can find good deals once in a while.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Sea to Summit Sil pack on 11/17/2012 14:45:32 MST Print View

Raquel, that is lightweight but it's not a huge deal. The REI flash is heavier but people love it and it's $5 cheaper. Also look at the RikSak and BigBag from Gossamer Gear for similar style and sub $50 packs. It's definitely not on sale but it's also not overpriced.

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

Flash on 11/18/2012 16:01:32 MST Print View

you know, I think I will get a Flash. I could use it for dayhiking, and as a summit pack that can hold survival gear. I could have used a summit pack this past summer... thanks.

Charles P
(mediauras) - F

Locale: Terra
Re: Flash on 11/18/2012 18:28:23 MST Print View

There are lighter summit bags, but the flash is really nice IMHO. Its really pretty comfy when full (and has been pretty handy as a small pack in daily life). This past summer it was also my 7 yo's backpacking bag. We just stuffed his sleeping bag in it and shot him down the trail. Pretty perfect for that.

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

@Charles on 11/19/2012 07:12:08 MST Print View

Are there other summit bags you would recommend?

My sister bought me a Flash for my b-day- wahoo! I think it will be great for day hikes.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Zimmerbuilt Summit is Nice on 11/19/2012 18:23:46 MST Print View

Zimmerbuilt's summit sack is nice. It's 1.19 ounces and basically a cuben fiber version of the apple store type of drawstring bag. I find, however, that it's great as a food back and for day hikes away from camp or summit trips (though mine has not seen this last purpose yet). At $35 who can afford not to have one. (I kid, but it is a good deal, as are the other packs on his "deals" page)

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/gear-deals.html

Charles P
(mediauras) - F

Locale: Terra
Re: Zimmerbuilt Summit is Nice on 11/20/2012 15:30:12 MST Print View

I was pretty much thinking of the same bag. I think Golite and SEa to Summit both have lightweight options also.