Forum Index » GEAR » Removing Wrist Straps From Poles

Display Avatars Sort By:
jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Removing Wrist Straps From Poles" on 11/18/2012 13:23:32 MST Print View

How to put your hands in the straps: the rabbit comes up through the hole and grabs the carrot.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Re: Removing Wrist Straps From Poles on 11/18/2012 14:04:08 MST Print View

"Also, never had an occasion where my forearm was tired from gripping the pole all day."

No, it does not because I use the straps.

"...5th graders..." ;-?

On steep downhill sections I'll also grip the pole on the top like a walking cane to allow a slow descent through loose rock and slippery patches. In this situation the strap is simply used as a retention device for the pole.

Party On,

Newton

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Removing Wrist Straps From Poles on 11/18/2012 19:08:28 MST Print View

I also used to use the straps as described earlier in the thread, as this was what everything I read told me was correct. With experience, I've shifted away from that, and now use them only occasionally, on certain extended downhill sections, or in places where dropping a pole would send it falling down a steep hill or cliff. In general I found the straps more of a hindrance than a help. The biggest disadvantage when using straps is the inability to shift my grip up and down the pole; that's something I do every few minutes, since the terrain around here tends to be quite uneven, and many of the trails are narrow with dense undergrowth or raised banks of earth on both sides.

Lately I've also gravitated toward using only one pole, which I transfer from left to right hand as needed. This is much easier to manage in narrow sections and places where you need to hold onto rocks to climb up or down a big step. It's nice to be able to hold onto something with one hand while bracing yourself on a pole in the other hand.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Depends on 11/19/2012 05:42:11 MST Print View

Some people barely use their poles. For them strapless is probably better.

I personally use my poles a lot. They get treated as another pair of legs with me. I know people will say that is the incorrect use of the poles, but joint issues make it a necessity for me.

I did go for a while without straps from the advice of others. Not only did my lower arms get tired much quicker, I ended up with connective tissue damage on both hands that made it painful to use my thumbs for months.

I have since gone back to straps. I really appreciate the way the straps distribute the weight away from thumbs and wrist.