OK, I'll go first. Today, I spent several hours adding a shock cord/cord lock to the existing elastic rim around the face of the hood. The stock rim is actually a thin tube of stretchy elastic nylon. In the first photo, you can see it with a metal rod inserted into the elastic tube.
I thought I would simply attach the shock cord to an 18" flexible titanium rod, and thread it through the elastic tube:
It was quite hard to thread the bulk of the rod + the cord, and I kept getting stuck in the "tunnel." I switched over to a very, very thin titanium wire. I heated the wire on a canister stove, and melted it through the end of the shock cord. Then I wrapped the wire around itself several times. This ended up looking like a suture, with an 18" needle. This passed through the elastic tube pretty well, but it too would occasionally get hung up on the mesh. I had to tug pretty hard at times, and the thin wire finally let go of the end of the shock cord. This was maybe 2/3 the way through the tube. So now I had a choice--blow the project off, or spend another couple of hours painstakenly pushing the shock cord through the tunnel, millimeter by millimeter. I had nothing else to do, so I kept going.
When I finally moved the shock cord to the end, I couldn't get hold of it to pull it all the way out. I had to do a little surgery, and I cut into the end of the tube. I pulled the shock cord out, slapped cord locks on both ends, and then sewed up my little incision. The next photo shows the end result:
(BPL won't let me add another photo, so I'll post what I've done so far, then do another separate post with my final photos and thoughts)