Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Golite Bitterroot 850 Fill Down Jacket $149.99
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
Golite Bitterroot 850 Fill Down Jacket $149.99 on 11/15/2012 10:24:15 MST Print View

http://www.golite.com/BigScore.aspx

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
Montbell Alpine Parka vs Golite Bitterroot? on 11/15/2012 10:33:43 MST Print View

I own a Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka that weighs in at 15.5oz with 4.3oz down fill (800 FP).
The GL Bitterroot claims 5.3oz Fill weight (850 fill) at only 13oz finished weight.

Has anyone compared to two for warmth? I may have to replace my old trusty for this price.

Matt Leo
(ATBackpacker) - F

Locale: Central PA
MB vs. Bitteroot on 11/15/2012 11:44:17 MST Print View

I'm also interested in the comparison. I just bought the MB for $17 more than the Golite. Please tell me it's better! LOL!

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Golite on 11/15/2012 13:13:29 MST Print View

The Golite is warmer and has a better warranty

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Golite....Flawed design on 11/15/2012 13:30:03 MST Print View

Sadly the Bitterroot has a completely flawed hood. It is designed to fit over a helmet but then doesn't offer any ability to dial in the fit when not wearing a helment. The consequence is that hood has huge gaps around your head and would blow off in a second.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Golite....Flawed design on 11/15/2012 13:33:30 MST Print View

Shame, that's what puts me off these Ul parkas, the lack of hood and hem drawcords drive me nuts.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Golite....Flawed design on 11/15/2012 14:37:04 MST Print View

You've mentioned that before, Randy. Maybe we have different shaped heads, but my Bitterroot hood is perfectly snug when wearing a beanie and I zip it all the way up. But maybe someday the elastic will grow weary, and I'll change my stance.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Re: Golite....Flawed design on 11/15/2012 15:25:50 MST Print View

Yeah, it's possible that it will fit certain folks. My assessment was made based on trying on a Men's Small in my local GoLite store. I may go back and see if I wear a couple of caps if that will bridge the gap.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Re: Re: Golite....Flawed design on 11/15/2012 16:13:26 MST Print View

I've read another article about the Bitterroot having flawed hood design. If it is a matter of sewing some velcro in the back I can handle that but I'm not sure about running shock cord through the hem. This may be perfect for my overgrown dome though. I think I'm pushing 24" head circumference.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Golite Bitterroot Hood on 11/15/2012 16:29:41 MST Print View

Most UL Alpine belay parkas have non-adjustable hoods because it's a feature climbers want. The Bitterroot's voluminous hood is not only meant to fit over a helmet, but to also act as faux visor when pulled forward over the forehead.

Edited by rmjapan on 11/15/2012 16:30:13 MST.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Re: Golite Bitterroot Hood on 11/15/2012 17:16:23 MST Print View

"Most UL Alpine belay parkas have non-adjustable hoods because it's a feature climbers want. The Bitterroot's voluminous hood is not only meant to fit over a helmet, but to also act as faux visor when pulled forward over the forehead."

Sorry, but that makes no sense. Why do I want my hood to perform a "Visor" function at the sacrifice of a good fit? I have climbed quite a bit in Alpine very high wind conditions. I don't want my hood moving which the Bitterroot would absolutely do given it's loose fit. I also have tried plenty of Alpine Parkas with fully adjustable hoods. Examples are Patagonia Fitz Roy and DAS Parka, RAB Neutrino Plus Jacket, First Ascent Peak XV Parka just to name a few. So in my opinion GoLite simply made an oversight. It's not like climbing in Alpine = Wearing a Helmet. I frequently climb above 13/14k ft on non technical terrain where a helmet is pointless yet I still need a very warm jacket.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Re: Golite Bitterroot Hood on 11/15/2012 18:50:40 MST Print View

Randy your examples are NOT ULTRA LIGHT parkas. They are meant for more extreme weather. They use more robust fabrics, much more insulation, and baggy chest fit for thicker underlayers vs. the Bitterroots slimmer fit over thin layers. Weight is far down on the list if you need that kind of jacket.

And all climbing is technical, otherwise you are just walking!

The Bitterroot hood has plenty of tension to stay in place over a helmet on an adult-sized head. The excess volume is at the backside. And remember, it is not just climbing helmets to consider, but larger ski/snowboard helmets too. Pulling it forward as a faux visor is an option to take up any excess volume and not necessary for proper fit.

Obviously this jacket was not a good fit for you...but it fits others just fine...not sure why you keep dogging it. Time to move on I'd think.

Edited by rmjapan on 11/15/2012 19:47:57 MST.

Kevin Lum
(Yukon635) - F
Fitting on 11/16/2012 09:38:55 MST Print View

Those that have GoLite jackets, do you find them to fit smaller, larger, or the same as most standard sizing. This seems like a good deal for a nice jacket for someone like me who is just looking for a warm jacket while shedding weight if possible

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Bitterroot fitting on 11/16/2012 10:18:11 MST Print View

My large Bitterroot fits just like a large should. Not an athletic fit, not too baggy. The thing about the hood is, I don't see how it could fit over a helmet at all--it's not that roomy. I doubt that it was designed to be helmet compatible.

After Randy and I exchanged posts yesterday, I took my Bitterroot down to the basement war room, where I had good lighting and all my small tools. I checked out the elastic that rings the front of the hood. I found that I could probably carefully thread some thin cord through the opening at one end of the elastic (it's not sewn shut, but it's rather a tube that runs the length of the face opening), and add cord locks on each side where the cord leaves the tube. That would allow one to close the face opening dramatically. Then, if one is into it, sew a couple of velcro strips on the back of the hood to add that adjustability option. I won't do this myself, since I like the hood on mine just fine.

I adore my Bitterroot, and it's a steal at $150.

Edit--I want to also mention a few features that make this coat unique, vs. some of the other coats mentioned: it has a double zipper, the hand warmer pockets have zipper closures and are lined with a thin fleece (warm and comfy to the touch), and there is one zippered interior pocket that is large enough to hold a 1-liter Platypus. These features add a bit of weight, but they are worth it to me.

Edited by Zia-Grill-Guy on 11/16/2012 10:30:47 MST.

Mark Andrews
(buldogge) - F

Question... on 11/16/2012 10:21:04 MST Print View

Are the pockets and collar area lined on the Bitterroot?

-Mark in St. Louis

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Question on 11/16/2012 10:32:15 MST Print View

The pockets are, the collar isn't.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Golite Bitterroot 850 Fill Down Jacket $149.99 on 11/16/2012 16:03:45 MST Print View

A lined collar would have been nice. Lined pockets are not necessary in the temps I'd wear the Bitterroot in since I would have gloves on by necessity. Those handwarmer pockets use "conceal" zippers too, which look cool but have a high fiddle factor when wearing a heavy glove. No way to add a pull cord to them either.

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
Re: Golite Bitterroot 850 Fill Down Jacket $149.99 on 11/16/2012 18:20:18 MST Print View

caved. i love and hate you all. will be testing this up against the montbell and first ascent.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Re: Re: Golite Bitterroot 850 Fill Down Jacket $149.99 on 11/16/2012 19:23:44 MST Print View

Lol @ Adam, I was thinking the same thing. I'm going for the Olive color. For those of you in XL and don't mind "Mandarin Orange" color than there is a New Bitterroot at this link for $119:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/253609-FS-Gear-Closet-Liquidation

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Bitterroot chalenge on 11/16/2012 21:34:19 MST Print View

You go, Adam, make us proud to know ya. And please report your assessment.