Forum Index » GEAR » New HMG 'Mini' Porter Pack

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Stays on 11/15/2012 18:02:26 MST Print View

I was doing my best to ignore price.....darn

Well, I will use my telepathic powers to see if I can summon a 20% off sale.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Colorado
Actually... on 11/15/2012 18:02:32 MST Print View

I have seen and used both (as friends own them).

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Colorado
Price on 11/15/2012 18:03:58 MST Print View

I know David! While I do like my Ohm 2.0 and am intrigued by my friend's HMG packs, I haven't been able to press the order button yet. Maybe one day!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Ohm vs Windrider on 11/15/2012 18:08:52 MST Print View

"Tom, indeed. Different environments. Cheers."

Cheers, David. :)

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
New HMG 'Mini' Porter Pack on 11/15/2012 18:26:29 MST Print View

David - would you be prepared to share what your role as an HMG ambassador involves? Please don't take this in the wrong way.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: New HMG 'Mini' Porter Pack on 11/15/2012 18:54:52 MST Print View

Sure Jason. I tested prototype accessories for HMG and provided feedback (I.e. the front pocket). I paid full price for my Porter and my custom Summit Pack. I am not paid by HMG to endorse their products and haven't, say, used their shelters so I can't comment on that product line.

These are not the only packs I use. I have an amazing custom pack from Mchale and would highly recommend Dan's products as well. I guess I could start another thread for that.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
New HMG 'Mini' Porter Pack on 11/15/2012 19:06:53 MST Print View

Thanks. I wasn't implying that you were paid or rewarded in any way. I was just genuinely interested in what it involved, but I guess it is difficult to get that over on a thread. Should probably have PM'd you direct.

I am very interested in an HMG pack, possibly the Expedition as it has the extra space for only a 1oz weight penalty over the Porter and this would allow me use it for family trips as well. A tough water proofish pack would be ideal for NZ conditions. I use a GG Gorilla and it is very comfortable, but I worry about how it is going to last and it gets soaked through in the rain.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Porter vs. Windrunner on 11/15/2012 19:14:35 MST Print View

So I'm gathering that basically the only differnece between the current Windrunner pack and the Porter is the compression system and pockets? Sounds like the hipbelt, frame, etc. are all basically the same?

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead) - F

Locale: Cen Cal
. on 11/16/2012 01:49:26 MST Print View

I went from a Circuit to a Windrider. If I had to do it again, I'd would go with an HMG Porter + Stuff Pocket, Circuit hipbelt, and ZimmberBuilt water bottle pockets for maximum versatility.

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: New HMG 'Mini' Porter Pack on 11/19/2012 22:21:33 MST Print View

I, for one, like how HMG has evolved their pack lineup. It seemed like they'd do all this stuff "custom," before anyway, but now it's on the site. Pick your capacity (2400, 3400, 4400) and your feature set (Windrider, Windrider SW, Porter, Ice Pack). Boom.

Now that winter is here I'm excited to pull my Expedition back out of the closet. I'm not sure I've ever needed more than the 3400 capacity, but the compression straps and roll top are incredibly simple and effective.