Forum Index » GEAR » ULA Circuit with cuben hydrid fabric.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kyle Meyer
(kylemeyer) - M

Locale: Portland, OR
ULA Circuit with cuben hydrid fabric. on 11/14/2012 15:17:40 MST Print View

Just had this backpack shipped by the fine gentlemen at ULA and I'm pretty damn excited. The pack body fabric is the same Zpacks uses for their Exo backpack—1.43 oz/sqyd cuben fiber with a protective layer of 50D polyester on the outside. This is lighter than the fabric used in HMG backpacks, but not by much (2.92 oz/sqyd vs 3.3 oz/sqyd). I'm planning to tape the inner seams with cuben tape to complete the rainproofing.

ULA1

ula2

Kevin Hall
(ClassicMagger) - F
Nice... on 11/14/2012 15:19:25 MST Print View

I want one. I just ordered an Arc Blast an hour ago though. Looks very cool. What's the weight of that bad boy?

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
ncie on 11/14/2012 15:22:46 MST Print View

whoa.. is that custom or coming soon from them?

Kyle Meyer
(kylemeyer) - M

Re: Nice... on 11/14/2012 15:26:28 MST Print View

@Kevin: it's 4.5 ounces lighter than a typical Circuit. In size large, it's 36oz with every option. I'll be removing everything except the aluminum stay and one water bottle shoulder strap, so it should be right around two pounds.

@Jason: Custom. I also had them add a second side compression strap because I'll be carrying Altai Hok skis on the pack through the winter.

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: Nice... on 11/14/2012 15:47:36 MST Print View

Kevin,
I just got my Arc Blast a couple of weeks ago. Sweet pack. Very comfy. I think you'll like it.
-Mark

Alex Eriksson
(aeriksson) - M

Locale: Austin, TX
Re: ULA Circuit with cuben hydrid fabric. on 11/15/2012 00:54:15 MST Print View

Did anyone else initially think the pack has a bit of the Holy Glow like something you witness for the first time and can't help but hearing a church choir in the background going "ooooooOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!"? I honestly thought it was photoshopped for a whole second to reinforce the cuben fiber arc of the covenant angle, for a whole second. Made me laugh.

Ron Berry
(squishware)

Locale: Southwest Florida
cuben circuit on 11/15/2012 08:48:34 MST Print View

That is a sexy pack.

Kyle Meyer
(kylemeyer) - M

Re: ULA Circuit with cuben hydrid fabric. on 11/27/2012 00:10:14 MST Print View

Well, I got it and it's a beautiful beast. I ordered some 1" cuben tape from Zpacks to tape the interior seams. It's never going to be as waterproof as an HMG bag just by virtue of the features and how it's constructed, but it'll be waterproof enough to eliminate a pack cover here in Oregon.

seam sealed cuben circuit

seam sealed cuben circuit 2

Now to wait for the rain to switch to snow in the higher elevations so I can do some snowcamping!

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Cuben Hybrid Circuit on 11/27/2012 11:20:28 MST Print View

That's a really awesome pack. I've been very impressed with ULA packs and this water proof fabric was all that's missing. I hope they're doing this on a regular basis.

Michael S
(CascadeBackpacker) - MLife

Locale: Pacific NW
White Cuben Fabric on 11/30/2012 15:42:32 MST Print View

That is one sweet lookin pack. I want to get one but I'm concerned about the white color used on these. I can't imagine that stays white very long.

Anyone have experience with these White cuben bags from Zpacks, Hyperlight Mountain Gear, etc....Does the white fade over time to tan, brown...?

Can't find any pics from a somewhat worn bag in this material.

Thanks

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Locale: NW Montana
Re: White Cuben Fabric on 11/30/2012 17:49:37 MST Print View

Scroll down a bit here, and you can see what Luc Mehl's HMG Porter looked like after the AMWC this summer.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Cuben Hybrid Circuit on 11/30/2012 18:44:55 MST Print View

Nice HMG Windrider.

J/K

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: White Cuben Fabric on 11/30/2012 19:41:53 MST Print View

Michael, the white picks up dirt but a little Oxy and the dirt stains are gone.

Kyle Meyer
(kylemeyer) - M

Re: Re: Cuben Hybrid Circuit on 12/01/2012 01:34:24 MST Print View

@David Ure: Windrider with a better frame, a better hip belt, better side pockets, and load lifters?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Cuben Hybrid Circuit on 12/02/2012 18:11:42 MST Print View

Better frame? How so?

For me, load lifters wouldn't make up for the 10 oz weight differential. I would want something lighter than 36 oz that was cuben otherwise what is the benefit?

Kyle Meyer
(kylemeyer) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cuben Hybrid Circuit on 12/02/2012 18:26:10 MST Print View

The bag is 34oz with the features I don't use removed. That's less than 6 ounces heavier than a Windrider. I say it has a better frame because of the hip belt, the carbon hoop and stay, and the load lifters. At the minimum, everyone would agree load lifters are better than not at the loads these packs are designed for.

Edit: not to mention the torso length adjustment of plus or minus 1.5 inches that ULA packs afford.

Edited by kylemeyer on 12/02/2012 18:30:03 MST.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Nice on 12/02/2012 18:36:16 MST Print View

Nice looking pack and based on the photo of yourself, it fits pretty well. You got just what you wanted and the few negative posts must be cuben-hybrid pack envy for sure.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cuben Hybrid Circuit on 12/02/2012 18:38:38 MST Print View

The hip belt on the Windrider is 4" wide and just as long ( padded portion) as the Circuit. The Large belt is longer than the Medium, etc. you can have HMG swap out a larger or smaller size for you.

Not adjustable torso; just 4 different torso sizes.

Edited by FamilyGuy on 07/08/2013 23:24:10 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Nice on 12/02/2012 18:39:50 MST Print View

"You got just what you wanted and the few negative posts must be cuben-hybrid pack envy for sure."

Dam funny

Edited by FamilyGuy on 12/02/2012 18:42:06 MST.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
Pack on 12/02/2012 19:18:33 MST Print View

Looks like an awesome pack, Kyle! I've always enjoyed the fit of the ULA packs, so this looks pretty great. You'll have to report back and let us know how it fares on the trail!