I came up with an idea for a trip in the Dallas area I thought might be interesting to any Texas hikers out there.
1. Start at Hwy 380 and hike the Greenbelt trail up the Trinity River.
2. Continue on along trails in the Lake Ray Roberts State Park.
3. Camp at a walk in site in the park.
4. Continue through park on the unimproved dirt trails (less mountain bikers and a more remote feel).
5. Either return the way you came or have a car waiting in the park.
Should be enough trail for a nice out and back overnighter. Its not a complete wilderness by any means but its a pretty area and I think you'd spend most of your time in relatively remote forests.
If you live in the DFW area this might be your best bet for a weekend getaway. Google "Greenbelt Hiking" for some info and maps on the area.