Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lightweight shoes for JMT & 35lbs max pack weight?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Inov8 on 12/09/2012 17:30:15 MST Print View

The 295s have been pretty rugged and comfortable for me. I would guess I have 600 miles on them but don't keep count. I went to the trailrocs only because I wanted something a little less substantial. Trailrocs seem very nice so far and they are a little lower. If the 295s fit well, I think they're a great shoe for the JMT.

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Inov8 on 12/09/2012 19:58:30 MST Print View

Ben

I've actually found perfection in Terroc 330s. While I also love the 295s, the Terroc 330s have just the little bit more underfoot protection (in terms of the sole compound) I'm looking for, tad harder toe protection and designed for slight over-pronation, which is slightly nicer on my $h!tty knees. Would love to have a pair of 295s to trail run in around here though.

Good to know the 295s with the softer rubber are still kickin' after 500+ miles. I will have to beat up the 330s over this next year to see how they survive.

KJ

Edited by f8less on 12/10/2012 14:46:17 MST.

Jason Teckam
(jasont) - F

Locale: Upper Midwest
Re: Re: Re: Lightweight shoes for JMT & 35lbs max pack weight? on 12/09/2012 20:40:25 MST Print View

+1on the trailroc's. I've mostly been running in mine and doing some shorter day hikes. Super light and a great toe box.

I have a 2nd toe that is about the same length as my big toe. My last pair was the roclites and they were just too narrow in the toe.

The trailroc's are super comfy. I don't know if I've been happier with a pair of shoes. My only concern is the durability. They're very light and there is quite a bit of mesh.

Good luck on the search.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
JMT shoes on 12/09/2012 21:24:43 MST Print View

Kenneth,
If you're still checking out your options, maybe consider Montrail. I love my inov-8s for dayhikes and short weekend trips, but for more substantial trips I use montrails. My girlfriend and I both used Montrail Mountain Masochists when we did the JMT last year. She has a wide forefoot, and I have a regular/medium forefoot. My max pack weight out of MTR was 30lbs.

I appreciated the extra beefiness of the montrails, though they were still very lightweight in my book. It was the underfoot rockplate that I truly appreciated, which I felt was more rigid than my inov8s. I had no failures on the trip and continue to use the same pair today. I threw them in the washing machine when I got off the JMT and they came out looking almost new. You may want to consider replacing the stock insole...mine was pretty pancaked after 180 miles or so, but overall shoe was still very comfortable.

Like others, I didn't bring water shoes, choosing instead to just wade through with the same pair of shoes. They usually dried within a couple hours, although they were comfortable after 20 mins or so. If you're really worried, just remove your socks and insole before the water crossing, which should cut down on the amount of time it takes before your wet shoe becomes comfortable again.

Also, you might like the montrai sabino trails which offer an even wider forefoot.

Good luck!

Edited by Konrad1013 on 12/09/2012 21:27:24 MST.

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Adidas Terex Fast, low cuts non-gore-tex on 12/10/2012 07:32:22 MST Print View

I wore these on a 12 day trip in the Sierras starting out with close to 30 pounds packed and my own 195. Very good support and comfort.

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Re: JMT shoes on 12/10/2012 14:27:08 MST Print View

Konrad

What model Innov8s do you wear?

Put an order in for a set of Montrail Mountain Masochist IIs. Gonna give them a try and see how I like them compared to the Innov8 Terroc 330s.

Looks like the Montrail Sabino isn't produced any more.

KJ

Edited by f8less on 12/10/2012 14:48:40 MST.

Jeff Jeff
(TwoFortyJeff) - F
Re: Re: Re: Lightweight shoes for JMT & 35lbs max pack weight? on 12/10/2012 14:52:54 MST Print View

I used the XA 3D back in 2007. Now it's the XA 3D Pro Ultra or something like that.

Now I use the Wings which fit me way better. The XA 3D Pro Ultra is too wide in the heel now.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: Re: Lightweight shoes for JMT & 35lbs max pack weight? on 12/10/2012 16:24:37 MST Print View

I use and love the Garmont 9.81 Bolt DL. Got maybe 150miles on em. A little hole at the base of my pinky toe on the outside of my foot formed cause I was on a lot of Lava rock and that stuff is pointy. (Timberline Trail twice and South Sister/ Green Lakes Basin) I put a dab of Freesole on it- Violin!

The outsole is flexible but tough and the lugs are beefy- good even on snow!

Light and Breatheable...

AFAIK only me and Annapurna (sp) use them here. I havent seen her comment on them so she may not like em. But trust me, my opinion is the correct one. :P

nobody listens to me anyway... so get yer Innov8s like erebody else

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: Re: JMT shoes on 12/10/2012 17:52:29 MST Print View

Kenneth,
I bounce between roclite 315s and 320s. Sorry, I haven't tried the terrocs yet so I cant compare.

Dana S
(Naman919) - F

Locale: Richmond, Virginia
Re: Re: Inov8 on 01/10/2013 20:55:07 MST Print View

Regarding users of the Roclite 295's and similar models, how did you determine they were designed for under or over-pronation? Their site explains the "fit" as just variations in the toe box designs.

I'm asking because I switched up from some New Balance 908's to the Inov8 295's bc the ball of my foot was taking a beating. I like the 295's but the narrow heel sole is substantially smaller than my NB 908's.

To be fair, i've come across several user comments that over/under-pronation isn't considered in the shoe's design because it's meant for uneven and unstable terrain. Meaning, you're not striking a consistently even surface most of the time. I tend to agree. Darn tree roots seem to be all i step on.

Feedback welcomed. Haven't posted in a few years so don't blast me.

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Re: Re: Re: Inov8 on 01/10/2013 21:29:17 MST Print View

Dana-

Was listed as such on runningwarehouse.com. I'd show you but the listing has now changed to the 2013 model.

Runningwarehouse.com is a great resource on all aspects of the fit and in depth detail of the build of shoes. I'd def. recommend checking them out if only for the information.

KJ

Edited by f8less on 01/10/2013 21:33:04 MST.