Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
John Muir Trail 2013
Display Avatars Sort By:
George Suchand
(fastnlight) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Solo on the JMT on 02/22/2013 12:50:13 MST Print View

@Loren and Nathan, Yeah I certainly expect to see a lot of people on the trail. Ive hiked parts and always seen alot of foot traffic. I was talking more about the social interaction that takes place at camp during meal times, especially breakfast and dinner and of course at the campfire if its allowed. In my experience, this is where a lot of commraderie takes place that just doesnt happen when you are solo unless you are fortunate like you Loren to hookup with another hiker.

Kevin Garrison
(kgarrison) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area
JMT 2013 on 05/04/2013 12:42:35 MDT Print View

I start June 9th from Whitney Portal. Planning 18 day NOBO trip.

Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Locale: Idaho
JMT 2013 on 05/15/2013 21:34:07 MDT Print View

Well it looks like I've bitten the bullet and decided that my soon to be 17 year old son and I are going to do the JMT together this year! This is a dream come true for me to have him along! Our plan is to start July 8 ish, as we will be coming from Idaho and looking for a walk up permit. We are pretty flexible; and I've had a couple of good conversations with the Ranger folks about getting permits. Our plan is to start out of Toloumne as we are coming from the east. If we get the right permit, we are looking at dropping down to do Half Dome, then circling back to TM for a re-supply, before finally heading south for good. This will be a great chance to spend some time with my son, as well as help him accomplish a tremendous acheivment. Our timetable is flexible, and I believe that he will be up to some good miles as we become trail hardened!
This will be a very intriguing and interesting logistical work out for me as I go light, but with a bit more caution as I look out for him as well. Keeping the balance of a light pack for him, and a reasonable pack for me will be fun! I imagine that I will carry a few additional items, but the rewards of having him along will make it all the better. Here's to good weather, the trail ahead, and few bugs!

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Starting at Happy Isles on July 3 on 05/17/2013 13:49:58 MDT Print View

@Leslie,

Make sure to bring a headnet.

Small bit of weight to keep your sanity if the bugs are out in force.

In 2011 the group that I was in was forced into wearing our rain gear with head nets in Aug to stay sane, but that was just one day of 15 on the trail....Sunrise High Sierra/Sunrise Meadow area???, which is just before you hit Toluome Meadows.

The conditions we had were more like July as the snowfall was 160-200% of normal.

Treating your clothing with Permithrin might be a good idea too with a small dropper bottle of 100% toxic DEET. (Higher percentage of DEET only means that it last longer and does not increase effectiveness).

Should be a trip of a life time for you.

Enjoy it!

-Tony