Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » A Quickie

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
A Quickie on 11/04/2012 09:11:02 MST Print View

A Quickie

This is an old idea and has been discussed here before. It worked so well for me recently, however, I thought I'd post the info again. It works particularly well if you are experimenting with tarp prototypes and want to move line attachment points easily.

here

here
The styrofoam ball and line loop weigh a total of 1 gram (dry). The easy to attach and remove knot in the line loop is called a larks head. The role of tarp fabric is played by the hanky.

A variation on the theme is to use a champagne cork instead of a styrofoam ball. This allows you to use a pole with the fabric without punching a hole in it (the fabric).

here

here

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: A Quickie on 11/04/2012 09:30:27 MST Print View

The "old" idea is to use a small rock

But I hate the idea of carrying heavy rocks, so styrofoam is much better

good idea

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re:re: quickie on 11/04/2012 12:30:57 MST Print View

Back in the day, we used to just pick up the stone from the ground - we didn't carry it. In which case, even styrofoam balls would be excess weight.

A lark's head attachment is indeed great for this, and can be done by just making a longish loop in your tart cord, then making the lark's head with said loop.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: re:re: quickie on 11/04/2012 13:33:27 MST Print View

Stephen,

Good point on forming the larks head by simply making a longish loop in the tarp cord. In other words my photo shows a knot that isn't needed and only complicates an even simpler method.

The knot would only be needed if one's intention was to attach a loop (or loops) to the tarp (hanky) for future attachment to a tie out cord running to a stake.

On a side note, I think Tarptent chose a good name for their company. I don't think Hankytent would have sold as well.

Daryl