Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG Daypack/Summit Sack/Stuff Sack
Display Avatars Sort By:
James W.
(jimmyjam)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
MYOG Daypack/Summit Sack/Stuff Sack on 11/01/2012 18:58:18 MDT Print View

I wanted a small daypack or summit pack that would also double as a stuff sack for my extra clothes. So I made one. It mesures 16"l x 10" wide x 4.5" deep. Weighs a meazely 1.5oz. I call it my "Nothing Pack" because it's so light.Backside

jason quick
(jase)

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne
MYOG summit/day/stuff sack on 11/01/2012 19:43:49 MDT Print View

...I like it!!

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
cool.. on 11/01/2012 20:49:22 MDT Print View

I need to make something like this. Did you just use ripstop nylon?

James W.
(jimmyjam)

daypack/stff sack on 11/02/2012 05:24:05 MDT Print View

Silnylon for pack and shoulder straps and 1/2 in webbing. Used 1/2 in seam allowances.I can try to post a pattern if anyone is interested.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: daypack/stff sack on 11/02/2012 07:23:11 MDT Print View

Nice! I made something similar.

I don't like regular daypack for backpacking because they're so heavy.

A lightweight one like yours is good for a hike from basecamp - jacket, water, bit of food,...

Sometimes I'll use it for hanging food

James W.
(jimmyjam)

Re: Re: daypack/stff sack on 11/02/2012 13:36:16 MDT Print View

Exactly why I wanted it. Hard to see but there is a small haul loop between the straps so that it can be hung as a food bag too.

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

Locale: Rocky Mtn. West
that's pretty awesome on 11/02/2012 13:50:26 MDT Print View

Please share the pattern!

But is it big enough to store your suvival bivy and extra layers and to carry water? I often go up to higher elevations for the day hiking from base camp, so I would need enough gear to survive in below freezing temps if I got stuck up there.

James W.
(jimmyjam)

MYOG daypack/stuffsack on 11/03/2012 07:02:23 MDT Print View

I can get my wind shirt and pants, vest,water,FAK,and.snacks/lunch in it.I can also fit my jacket instead of the vest.But a bivy too would not fit at this size. I'll try to put a pattern together in a day or two.

Bobby McDonald
(Fibropacker)

Locale: West Sussex
Your "Nothing Pack" on 11/08/2012 05:02:14 MST Print View

Nice little job to keep me busy. How did you attach the shoulder straps; did you use the webbing you mentioned and then sew the straps to that? Thanks for sharing.

James W.
(jimmyjam)

Re: Your "Nothing Pack" on 11/18/2012 18:37:07 MST Print View

Bobby: Sorry I just now saw your question.The shoulder straps are 2 pieces of sil sewed together to make a strap 2" wide. That is sewn to a strip of 30 denier near the top of the pack. The webbing is sewn to the sil straps. At the bottom of the pack I sewed the webbing to a double thickness triangle of 30 denier which is sewn into the side seam of the pack. Basically I just looked at how most backpacks are constructed and made a small copy of them using light weight/smaller parts. If I was to make another I would just use webing for the whole length of the shoulder strap. Hope this helps, if you need more info shoot me a pm.