November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG Daypack/Summit Sack/Stuff Sack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jimmy jam
(jimmyjam) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
MYOG Daypack/Summit Sack/Stuff Sack on 11/01/2012 18:58:18 MDT Print View

I wanted a small daypack or summit pack that would also double as a stuff sack for my extra clothes. So I made one. It mesures 16"l x 10" wide x 4.5" deep. Weighs a meazely 1.5oz. I call it my "Nothing Pack" because it's so light.Backside

jason quick

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne
MYOG summit/day/stuff sack on 11/01/2012 19:43:49 MDT Print View

...I like it!!

Daniel Russell

Locale: Creation
cool.. on 11/01/2012 20:49:22 MDT Print View

I need to make something like this. Did you just use ripstop nylon?

Jimmy jam
(jimmyjam) - F

daypack/stff sack on 11/02/2012 05:24:05 MDT Print View

Silnylon for pack and shoulder straps and 1/2 in webbing. Used 1/2 in seam allowances.I can try to post a pattern if anyone is interested.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: daypack/stff sack on 11/02/2012 07:23:11 MDT Print View

Nice! I made something similar.

I don't like regular daypack for backpacking because they're so heavy.

A lightweight one like yours is good for a hike from basecamp - jacket, water, bit of food,...

Sometimes I'll use it for hanging food

Jimmy jam
(jimmyjam) - F

Re: Re: daypack/stff sack on 11/02/2012 13:36:16 MDT Print View

Exactly why I wanted it. Hard to see but there is a small haul loop between the straps so that it can be hung as a food bag too.

Raquel Rascal

Locale: Rocky Mtn. West
that's pretty awesome on 11/02/2012 13:50:26 MDT Print View

Please share the pattern!

But is it big enough to store your suvival bivy and extra layers and to carry water? I often go up to higher elevations for the day hiking from base camp, so I would need enough gear to survive in below freezing temps if I got stuck up there.

Jimmy jam
(jimmyjam) - F

MYOG daypack/stuffsack on 11/03/2012 07:02:23 MDT Print View

I can get my wind shirt and pants, vest,water,FAK,and.snacks/lunch in it.I can also fit my jacket instead of the vest.But a bivy too would not fit at this size. I'll try to put a pattern together in a day or two.

Bobby McDonald

Locale: West Sussex
Your "Nothing Pack" on 11/08/2012 05:02:14 MST Print View

Nice little job to keep me busy. How did you attach the shoulder straps; did you use the webbing you mentioned and then sew the straps to that? Thanks for sharing.

Jimmy jam
(jimmyjam) - F

Re: Your "Nothing Pack" on 11/18/2012 18:37:07 MST Print View

Bobby: Sorry I just now saw your question.The shoulder straps are 2 pieces of sil sewed together to make a strap 2" wide. That is sewn to a strip of 30 denier near the top of the pack. The webbing is sewn to the sil straps. At the bottom of the pack I sewed the webbing to a double thickness triangle of 30 denier which is sewn into the side seam of the pack. Basically I just looked at how most backpacks are constructed and made a small copy of them using light weight/smaller parts. If I was to make another I would just use webing for the whole length of the shoulder strap. Hope this helps, if you need more info shoot me a pm.