Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Gerke
(mtnrunner) - M

Locale: Utah
Re: Re Pack on 11/01/2012 13:38:04 MDT Print View

Thanks Luke.

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Superb! on 11/02/2012 04:26:38 MDT Print View

Superb video and article, Ryan.

It's good that you promote these 24 trips, as for many of us that are the only possible trips at the moment =) I'm looking at 24 possibilities myself right now because of this one!

Edited by skullmonkey on 11/02/2012 04:27:28 MDT.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 11/02/2012 12:57:12 MDT Print View

Yet another excellent article Ryan, which provides lots of information. What weight of cuben is your shelter, .51 oz/sqyd or heavier? I assume your are still using your ID event bivy. It seems that you and I had the same problem with the threads on our jetboils. Your comments on gear and why you packraft are always enlightening, and increasingly convince me that I should play with a packraft.

Thanks again, looking forward to your next adventure.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 11/02/2012 20:16:27 MDT Print View

Whoa...how many years have I been following BPL, and I just now hear of this story? Someone has been holding out on us!

Great 24 hr trip report and video.

Tom

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 11/03/2012 15:36:58 MDT Print View

@Richard Nisley - my initial impression of the dry suit is that it's well done. I have questions about long term durability. I waded up to my chest in it and really enjoyed the one-piece sealed suit for cold weather floating comfort - much better than raingear or splash gear when you're spending most of your time wet.

@Paul Mountford - my footwear system kept my feet warm and wet. I would long for waterproof booties with dry socks in them if the water temperature was in the 30s or the air temperature was in the 30s or lower; the neck gasket is stretch neoprene, not latex (yay!) and I left it loose - of course, not ideal if a swim is a reality...!

@Greg Mihalik - My rod is a Daiwa Liberty Club 62SR.

@David W - yes, but only small fish, in the 4 to 6 lb range, and even those had to be chased downstream pretty aggressively. I've caught quite a few trout that have been much larger. Steelhead are a different animal.

@Jeff Gerke - Expedition.

@Roger B - yes, the 0.5 oz Cuben. I'm about to retire this tarp, and I'm moving up in weight to 0.7 on my next one, perhaps; the bivy is the MLD eVENT bivy, but in regular size, it's too narrow and constricts loft when I'm down quilting with a Neo-Air.

To everyone - thanks a ton for the encouraging comments. Very inspiring, working on my next vid story already!

Brandon Vidrine
(bvidrine82) - M
Re: Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 11/03/2012 22:36:50 MDT Print View

Ryan,

What backpack is that? HMG porter? Also, who made the tarp? Finally, what model pack raft is that?

Thanks!

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 11/04/2012 13:39:19 MST Print View

Great vid, and glad to see another 24 adventure. The "Done in 24" is a great idea that shows what's possible with some planning and imagination. Inspiring.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 11/04/2012 17:50:24 MST Print View

Really enjoyed this video.
The packraft is very much on my mind these days.
I want to incorporate one for my next long distance hike in some way and seeing it in action is inspiring.
Thanks for sharing!

Michael Cheifetz
(mike_hefetz) - MLife

Locale: Israel
great stuff ! on 11/05/2012 03:08:28 MST Print View

RJ
Im not a packrafter and wil prob never be (no rivers here to practice on :) but this was a great atmosphere piece that combined good looking vid and edit, nice commentary, gripping story and just a tad of gear. I loved it

Mike

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
24! on 11/05/2012 21:53:37 MST Print View

Great concept and excellent execution. Ryan, like so many others have said, well written story with a great video that takes us along and gets us stoked. Keep up the quality and interaction. They are what makes this more than just a web site.

Elliott Hollander
(elliotth27) - M

Locale: Georgia
alpacka on 12/20/2012 12:08:35 MST Print View

Anyone figure out which model Alpacka this is??