November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Gerke

Locale: Utah
Re: Re Pack on 11/01/2012 13:38:04 MDT Print View

Thanks Luke.

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Superb! on 11/02/2012 04:26:38 MDT Print View

Superb video and article, Ryan.

It's good that you promote these 24 trips, as for many of us that are the only possible trips at the moment =) I'm looking at 24 possibilities myself right now because of this one!

Edited by skullmonkey on 11/02/2012 04:27:28 MDT.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 11/02/2012 12:57:12 MDT Print View

Yet another excellent article Ryan, which provides lots of information. What weight of cuben is your shelter, .51 oz/sqyd or heavier? I assume your are still using your ID event bivy. It seems that you and I had the same problem with the threads on our jetboils. Your comments on gear and why you packraft are always enlightening, and increasingly convince me that I should play with a packraft.

Thanks again, looking forward to your next adventure.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 11/02/2012 20:16:27 MDT Print View many years have I been following BPL, and I just now hear of this story? Someone has been holding out on us!

Great 24 hr trip report and video.

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 11/03/2012 15:36:58 MDT Print View

@Richard Nisley - my initial impression of the dry suit is that it's well done. I have questions about long term durability. I waded up to my chest in it and really enjoyed the one-piece sealed suit for cold weather floating comfort - much better than raingear or splash gear when you're spending most of your time wet.

@Paul Mountford - my footwear system kept my feet warm and wet. I would long for waterproof booties with dry socks in them if the water temperature was in the 30s or the air temperature was in the 30s or lower; the neck gasket is stretch neoprene, not latex (yay!) and I left it loose - of course, not ideal if a swim is a reality...!

@Greg Mihalik - My rod is a Daiwa Liberty Club 62SR.

@David W - yes, but only small fish, in the 4 to 6 lb range, and even those had to be chased downstream pretty aggressively. I've caught quite a few trout that have been much larger. Steelhead are a different animal.

@Jeff Gerke - Expedition.

@Roger B - yes, the 0.5 oz Cuben. I'm about to retire this tarp, and I'm moving up in weight to 0.7 on my next one, perhaps; the bivy is the MLD eVENT bivy, but in regular size, it's too narrow and constricts loft when I'm down quilting with a Neo-Air.

To everyone - thanks a ton for the encouraging comments. Very inspiring, working on my next vid story already!

Brandon Vidrine
Re: Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 11/03/2012 22:36:50 MDT Print View

What backpack is that? HMG porter? Also, who made the tarp? Finally, what model pack raft is that?

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 11/04/2012 13:39:19 MST Print View

Great vid, and glad to see another 24 adventure. The "Done in 24" is a great idea that shows what's possible with some planning and imagination. Inspiring.

a b
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 11/04/2012 17:50:24 MST Print View

Really enjoyed this video.
The packraft is very much on my mind these days.
I want to incorporate one for my next long distance hike in some way and seeing it in action is inspiring.
Thanks for sharing!

Michael Cheifetz
(mike_hefetz) - MLife

Locale: Israel
great stuff ! on 11/05/2012 03:08:28 MST Print View

Im not a packrafter and wil prob never be (no rivers here to practice on :) but this was a great atmosphere piece that combined good looking vid and edit, nice commentary, gripping story and just a tad of gear. I loved it

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
24! on 11/05/2012 21:53:37 MST Print View

Great concept and excellent execution. Ryan, like so many others have said, well written story with a great video that takes us along and gets us stoked. Keep up the quality and interaction. They are what makes this more than just a web site.

Elliott Hollander
(elliotth27) - M

Locale: Georgia
alpacka on 12/20/2012 12:08:35 MST Print View

Anyone figure out which model Alpacka this is??