Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River
Display Avatars Sort By:
Maia Jordan
(maia) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 10/30/2012 19:11:16 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 10/30/2012 19:56:06 MDT Print View

Good read, thanks

I keep eyeing that area for a late winter backpack, maybe up the Wenaha from Troy. You have only whetted my appetite.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Cool on 10/30/2012 20:00:41 MDT Print View

Ryan nicely done video and I loved the story. Sometimes a daring armature's trip creates a much more exciting story than a perfectly executed trip by an expert. Sometime I gotta write up my near death experience kayaking on a flooded river.
Keep up coming and if you have any more of those, shall we say "learning experiences" I'd love to hear them.

Edited by Cameron on 10/31/2012 12:26:09 MDT.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 10/30/2012 20:28:45 MDT Print View

Ryan,
I could share with you a story of nearly drowning in the Narrows as a young man. Thanks for posting this adventure and for the great pictures. Having grown up in the area I'm feeling a little homesick and will likely have bad dreams about relentless whitewater but reading the article is worth it.

When floating the Grande Ronde you hear the "Narrows" long before you see the intimidating (for me) stretch of whitewater. Putting out on the left bank above the rapids allows you the opportunity to survey the approaching challenge and plot strategy/survival. Back in the water, having hopefully selected to best line, it is a true commitment with no turning back. Once you have dropped into the "Narrows" the only way out is to make it to the other end, with or without your raft!

Edited by thomdarrah on 10/31/2012 08:19:28 MDT.

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 10/30/2012 21:25:54 MDT Print View

Ryan

That was a GREAT trip report and video! What was your initial impression of the Alpacka dry suit?

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 10/31/2012 04:52:17 MDT Print View

Nice trip report, Ryan! Yeah, the tenkara rods are not exactly designed to let a fish run. Too bad you lost the rod, always annoying...

Steelhead are noted for tail walking and other acrobatics. Once they decide on a direction, often the only thing you can do is throw them slack enough to let them think they "escaped". Not something you can do with a tenkara.

Paul Mountford
(Sparticus) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic Canada
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 10/31/2012 04:53:21 MDT Print View

Ryan,

A question on your feet - would you say your system keep your feet dry, wet but warm, or wet and chilly. If you were planning a much longer trip, say a one to two week trip in conditions around freezing, would you change anything with your footwear system?

Edited for second question after watching your video.

The neck gasket looks very loose on you. Is that how it came, or did you stretch/trim it to make it more comfortable?

Edited by Sparticus on 10/31/2012 06:27:37 MDT.

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
Re: Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 10/31/2012 06:29:48 MDT Print View

Excellent. Excellent. Excellent.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 10/31/2012 08:31:37 MDT Print View

Thanks!
I'm inspired...

Which "21-foot Daiwa" did you use?

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
Go Wazzu on 10/31/2012 11:26:19 MDT Print View

Sounds like a typical Wazzu Cougar.... I miss Pullman. I graduated in CE in 89.
I wish at that time I was as adventurous as I am today.

Edited by HairlessApe on 10/31/2012 13:30:47 MDT.

John Topping
(JohnT) - MLife

Locale: Peak District
Inspiring Stuff on 10/31/2012 12:21:43 MDT Print View

Ryan,
You are on a roll at the moment. Fine fine work.
Thanks

Johnathan White
(jwrambler)
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 10/31/2012 12:41:46 MDT Print View

Ryan, another stunning vid - inspiring, beautiful, well done!

Bryan Ingersoll
(bingersoll) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Great Video Ryan on 10/31/2012 12:57:10 MDT Print View

Really enjoyed it! Checking the weather now to see which gear to pack for the weekend after this inspirational video.
24-48 hour adventures, fly fishing and packrafting are "food for my soul".
I can't thank you enough. It was on backpackinglight.com years ago that I was first introduced to the Packraft. Now its hard for me to imagine back country travel along a trout stream without it.

Thanks Ryan!

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
24 HOURS on 10/31/2012 13:21:10 MDT Print View

Excellent Stuff! 24 hours is a nice round number.

Yohei Aoyagi
(zzz_bear) - MLife

Locale: Tokyo
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 10/31/2012 17:13:41 MDT Print View

Ryan,

I love 24 series and your filming of backpacking!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 10/31/2012 17:26:02 MDT Print View

Killer. I enjoyed this very much Ryan.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: 24 Hours: Packrafting the Grande Ronde River on 10/31/2012 20:03:51 MDT Print View

Thanks Ryan. Excellent report, video and write up! Have you had any past success landing a steelhead on a Tenkara rod?

Jeff Gerke
(mtnrunner) - M

Locale: Utah
Pack on 10/31/2012 21:17:30 MDT Print View

Great video. Was that a HMG Porter that you where using for a pack? Been thinking about getting one. Haven't decided between the Porter and the Windrider 3400.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Pack on 10/31/2012 21:38:04 MDT Print View

I'm pretty sure that was an Expedition pack. Ryan mentioned it in his photo essay on the Lamar and reviewed it with Chris Wallace a while back.

Peter S (masc. ├╝ber linear logical club)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
video... on 11/01/2012 06:41:25 MDT Print View

Great video Ryan.

I hope BPL will be doing more videos in the future as part of the articles on gear reviews, sotm, trip reports and so on...

/Peter