Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Windshirts: 2012 State of the Market Report - Part 2: The Present and Future of Windshirts
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
centrifuge on 04/25/2013 13:41:29 MDT Print View

a good time to update my thoughts on the Centrifuge- I've used it more than I thought I would this winter and spring, when the temps were colder, I'd grab the Centrifuge over the Houdini- it's simply a warmer outer garment, that still breathes quite well. I'm very impressed w/ the DWR as well

I still don't see a lot of application for backpacking, but for xcountry skiing, snowshoeing, trail running in cold weather, mtn biking in cold weather- I think it's a nice piece

I have the pants too, a few design flaws w/ the pants- like the waist band (not enough elastic and you're relying on a cord pull to keep them up), but again when it's cold- these are the pants/tights I'm grabbing, same good DWR combined w/ good breathability

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: centrifuge on 04/25/2013 14:39:27 MDT Print View

I love my centrifuge. For backpacking. Frankly I can't understand why it isnt useable for backpacking. Maybe it was like that time Will said a >12oz rain shell was unfit for packing. HUH??? And I dont really see why it was on a windshirt review, but its not like Dave is being given these things to test so Im glad to see it at least getting tested. Of course it held more water, its a fuzzy- but y'all knew that.

Anyway, I use the hell out of mine. Its always in my pack or on me, depending on the weather. Its warm enough (where I live, anyway) to hike in in shoulder/ wintery situations. (i need a Kestrel so I can get some actual #s) In summer I don it at camp for warmth, but often I'll usually need my MB UL down vest or my thermawrap pro depending on the temp cause its really not very warm, but great on the move.

It holds off a good bit of rain/ wind through the front. (PNW rain, not real rain)

I can dry it our by hiking in it (no rain) or with a shell (rain) It holds water but doesnt seem to be a lot of water. Typically I'm very careful with my layering vs activity level. (Staying on the cool side)

I like the hood. It took a little getting used to, and maybe a little stretching, but it is comfy. (too much beard, Dave ;) ) And Mike, PLZ give a pic of you with the hood on and your 'stache hanging out- I've been wanting to see that- Gotta be epic 'stache load.

The cold/ sunny boys (Mike and Dave) see limitations, so ya know, maybe its a ecosystem thing, but for me I love the thing.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: centrifuge on 04/25/2013 18:28:57 MDT Print View

don't get me wrong, I love mine too- it's just that for "summer" use my 4 oz Houdini is going to get the nod (vs the 14 oz Centrifuge)

I also love the hood, also love the thumbhole sleeves and all the pockets that the Houdini doesn't have

You're right, it's not really a windshirt, but it's not a softshell either and it isn't a fleece- it's all three

sorry no hood pics, I looked :)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Boreas on 04/25/2013 18:44:45 MDT Print View

Yeah, I continue to be a Boreas fan as well. My favorite windshirt to pair it with when it gets too cold for just the Boreas is the Haglofs Shield (I've got the anorak instead of the jacket). I've also got a Feathered Friends wind shirt that I like quite a bit, but it hasn't seen a lot of use since I got the Haglofs.

Too late in the season to use it now, but I just got a new lightweight RAB vapour rise lite pull on. I'm excited to try it out next fall/winter. It may just take the place of the Boreas, and perhaps even the Shield.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Westcomb Crest (pertex equilibrium) on 04/28/2013 15:47:29 MDT Print View

I've been using a Westcomb Crest for a month or so as a replacement for my lost Houdini. It's pertex equilibrium and weighs only 4 oz in a small. Feature set is very minimal and if I keep it I'll probably do some hood modifications, but overall I'm liking it. I've mostly worn it on chilly mornings at work. It's far more breathable than anything I've used before, which I wanted, but it definitely isn't as wind resistant in a stiff wind. I'm usually walking a lot slower at work than backpacking, so it might be fine, but after a couple days last week I'm not sure if it'll be adequate in chilly wind. We'll see.