Windshirts for Those with Long Arms
Display Avatars Sort By:
Alex Eriksson
(aeriksson) - M

Locale: Austin, TX
Windshirts for Those with Long Arms on 10/29/2012 21:04:38 MDT Print View

So the problem I'm having, and have always had, with outerwear is that I'm a bit taller than the apparent models they use when pattern-making. Specifically, I'm 6'4" tall with a torso that can sometimes fit a size large jacket, and arms that are always longer than most size XL offerings. Very specifically, my dress shirt size is a 36-37" sleeve.

Right now my WPB shell is an REI Taku that weighs (I just discovered) as much as a cast iron boat anchor, but I ended up with it because it was the only offering I could find that was A) not some cheesy DWR that won't stand up to a Texas sized downpour, and B) was for a time offered in a "tall" version. The Taku size XLT is now my go-to shell that I love and will 90% continue to use on days of protracted rain since it's just so well made/tailored. Moreover, I just ordered an Eddie Bauer MicroTherm Down Shirt in XLT which fits great and that, as soon as I bend my arms, doesn't expose my wrists like the ankles of so many 19th century old west whores.

However, for the life of me I can't find any windshirts or even sub-12oz WPB jackets that offer a 36" sleeve. Does anyone have any advice on this? Patagonia seems to assume anyone size XL will have the torso of a gigantic Rubix cube so all of their stuff is out of the question with their big billowy torsos. How is Mont Bell sizing?

Seriously, between my long arms and 34" inseam it's d@mn near impossible to clothe myself!

P.S. Thumb loops on too-short sleeves are incredibly annoying but I so wish I could find something with them.

Edited by aeriksson on 10/29/2012 21:05:52 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Windshirts for Those with Long Arms on 10/29/2012 21:16:16 MDT Print View

I'm 6'3", long torso. I don't think you will find the sleeves long enough on the Montbell offerings. My arm length seems proportionate. Neither orangutan nor T-rex. Being tall, a drag sometimes.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Windshirts for Those with Long Arms on 10/29/2012 21:18:15 MDT Print View

XL is for width plus height. Why not pair it with 1 short sleeve layer and a light fleece vest taking up volume while allowing your arms to move more freely?

Jason McSpadden
(JBMcSr1) - M

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Windshirts for long arms on 10/29/2012 21:57:04 MDT Print View

I like my XL Houdini. I don't have 36 inch arms but mine are 35. Give the Houdini a try. And I'm not as tall as you but I'm 6' 1'' and the length is great for me. My legs are fairly long too.

Edited by JBMcSr1 on 10/29/2012 21:58:22 MDT.

Maris L
(Ablaut) - M
FA on 10/29/2012 22:30:35 MDT Print View

I've got the same ordeal, but usually searching for smaller-tall sizes. First Ascent tops fit me well, generally find that they have some extra sleeve length even in non-tall sizes. The BC-200 as a wpb is offered in an XLT, and according to their size chart the sleeves could be 36.5-37.5 inches. 11oz. Have heard the previous version of it had a good following.

edit - As for windshirts, have read reports that the sleeves for the Rab Cirrus have a bit of extra length that fit taller guys. Dunno, have yet to try one on, but this is one I'm really trying to find and see.

Edited by Ablaut on 10/29/2012 22:32:11 MDT.

Alex Eriksson
(aeriksson) - M

Re: Re: Windshirts for Those with Long Arms on 10/29/2012 23:19:50 MDT Print View

@Ken: Yeah I have a short torso, long arms and legs. Short crotch too if we're being specific. God I hate pants with excess crotch.

@HK: I've got the WPB and puffy layers covered pretty well. Was hoping to find a wind shirt capable of containing my orangutan arms. Not sure how short sleeves would help.

@Jason: I'll see if I can find one at REI or elsewhere to try on. Couldn't hurt!

@Maris: Rab. Hmm...everything I've read says they're hard to find but I'm down for a challenge! I'll check it out for sure.

Thanks all!

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
rab on 10/30/2012 00:07:03 MDT Print View

I don't know about the exact measurements, but most rab garments have nice long arms. I couldn't find a wind or rain shell that wouldn't ride up when I was climbing and the rab demand pull on at 10 oz in event (L) fits great, as does the rab cirrus wind jacket. Both are somewhat slim with long arms and fit me near perfect. I'm 6'1" 170, gorilla-ish.

masculine ├╝ber linear logical club
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
long sleeves on 10/30/2012 03:32:18 MDT Print View

Hey Alex

I have long arms and short torso, and i'm comfortable in an Arc'teryx Squamish - expensive but very nice!

/Peter

pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Windshirts for Those with Long Arms on 10/30/2012 07:38:45 MDT Print View

+1 on the First Ascents. The regulars fit my 36" arms well. The talls are actually almost too long. They're a little heavier than the lightest windshirts by an ounce or two, but they are full zip, hooded, and incredibly comfortable.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Stoic on 10/30/2012 07:50:48 MDT Print View

The Stoic stuff fits my 38" sleeves better than most, but still not quite enough.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Houdini on 10/30/2012 08:25:30 MDT Print View

I bought another Houdini recently and it appears that the sleeves are slightly longer than previous versions (this is in size Large)

also check into the Patagonia military windshirts they come in longer sleeve lengths- it's a little heavier (hey it's for the Army!), but they breathe well

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: long-armed windshirt on 10/30/2012 10:30:06 MDT Print View

For long arms and a slim fit, Rab. For long arms and a more generous torso, Patagonia.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Windshirts for Those with Long Arms on 10/30/2012 10:33:35 MDT Print View

Alex-

Sounds like you and I are the exact same size. 6'4" with 36/37 sleeves. Fun finding clothes, eh? My favorite is the T-shirt or sweater in XL that ends at my belly button.

Regarding the windshirt question - The Eddie Bauer Sirocco is a great piece. Fits me great and has a nice set of features including the 5oz weight. Good DWR and breathability although probably not as good as a Houdini. Price tag is great right now at $19.99.

P.S. - Seems I read somewhere that Rab jackets are a little short in the torso area. Could be wrong, but make sure their torso length is good. You should buy the Rab Pulse for a WP/B and report back on fit. :) I've had my eye on that one.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 10/30/2012 10:40:13 MDT.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Are all Rab garments long in the sleeves? on 10/30/2012 10:51:49 MDT Print View

I'm interested in the Rab shell with the Pertex+ fabric. Does it have long arms too? I think David included it in his review but didn't notice any mention of the long sleeves I would like to have.

Alex Eriksson
(aeriksson) - M

Re: Re: Windshirts for Those with Long Arms on 10/30/2012 11:59:08 MDT Print View

@Ryan: My girlfriend jokingly refers to shirts with belly-button grazing fit as "my Winnie the Pooh shirts".

Stoic seems like a possible win. Their sizing says XL is 36-37" sleeve. Also, the Eddie Bauer seems like a good bet. I'd really like to see the Patagonia military stuff. Seems pretty interesting in concept. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me!

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: long sleeves on 10/30/2012 13:30:31 MDT Print View

"I'm interested in the Rab shell with the Pertex+ fabric. Does it have long arms too? I think David included it in his review but didn't notice any mention of the long sleeves I would like to have."

Do you mean the Cirrus windshirt in the latest windshirt SOTMR (which has measured dimensions listed in part 1), or the Pulse WPB jacket? Either has longer sleeves than average, in the case of the Cirrus this aspect of the jacket wears longer than it looks on paper due to the well-tailored shoulders and elbows. The Pulse somewhat less so, as Rab understandably chose to minimize seams.

Maris L
(Ablaut) - M
. on 10/30/2012 19:25:26 MDT Print View

Good to hear more positive reports on Rab fit. Still want to find a Cirrus but at a more reasonable price.

The First Ascent Sirocco is out of stock online but I've still seen them in the clearance section in-store. Regret passing one up at $15 this summer!

Alex Eriksson
(aeriksson) - M

Re: Re: Re: Windshirts for Those with Long Arms on 10/30/2012 22:04:06 MDT Print View

Can anyone find a fit and sizing chart for C.A.M.P. clothing? I know they're italian, and they "run small" but that could mean a lot of things to a lot of people. I was just surprised to discover that they have four, maybe five, different wind shirt sub 5oz offerings depending on how you want to define wind shirt. They're all about the same price in the low $100's range and pack down tiny. Would be nice to see some sizing numbers for chest and sleeve if nothing else.

Anyone have experience with their windshirt offerings? Not just sizing but in general.