Forum Index » Winter Hiking » Thermos Flask

Display Avatars Sort By:
Yes 1000
(mamamia) - F
Thermos Flask on 10/28/2012 19:45:30 MDT Print View

I'm thinking about getting a thermos flask for winter dayhikes and also use it for backpacking/snowshoeing. I would probably carry some tea/coffee/hot choclate/soup on day hikes and soup for lunch when backpacking. Do you guys use thermos and any recommendations are welcome.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Vacuum bottle recommendation on 10/28/2012 21:04:17 MDT Print View

I can highly recommend the Stanley Nineteen-13 vacuum bottle. Best thermos I've ever used at keeping hot drinks and soups hot. See my review at BackpackGearTest.org for further information.

Richard

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Thermos Flask on 10/28/2012 23:21:46 MDT Print View

I just listed a vintage one pint glass lined aluminum shell Thermos in the Gear Swap.

Other than that, the wide-mouth Klean Kanteen thermal bottles come in several sizes and the REI flip top vacuum tumbler keeps the contents hot for shift. I got one for my daughter and she loves it for commuting. Not the best for soup. http://www.rei.com/product/799295/rei-flip-top-vacuum-tumbler-15-fl-oz

Scott Ireland
(WinterWarlock) - MLife

Locale: Western NY
HydroFlask on 10/30/2012 07:19:16 MDT Print View

HydroFlask makes a couple of very well insulated stainless thermoses. Last year I was in the Adirondacks...temp was -10F, and after eight hours of hiking, my tea was still too hot to drink right away. After that, I would highly recommend these...

Yes 1000
(mamamia) - F
REI Flask on 10/30/2012 10:16:51 MDT Print View

I bought a REI flask yesterday evening and put it to test by filling it with boiling water and putting it in the freezer. When I checked after 4 hrs, the water was still piping hot and after 12 hrs, it was not warm or cold.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Thermos Flask on 10/30/2012 10:45:38 MDT Print View

Here is what I have been using for decades. UL and multi-purpose.

IMG_1272
Nalgene bottle and Outdoor Research insulated bottle carrier. The bottle is wide-mouth and virtually indestructible.

IMG_1273
1 QT Nalgene weighs 109 grams (3.844 oz)

IMG_1274
OR insulation weights 103 grams (3.633 oz)

IMG_1275
Total weight 213 grams (7.513 oz)

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: REI Flask on 10/30/2012 11:46:11 MDT Print View

Roll it in some clothing as it might be in a pack and it will go longer yet. Anything that will keep cold moving air away will help. Spare socks are easy.

Scott Ireland
(WinterWarlock) - MLife

Nick - question? on 10/30/2012 11:47:44 MDT Print View

Your avatar says you're from Southern Cal...I wonder what temps you use this system in? I tried the same thing in the Adirondacks, and it turned into slush in just four hours...

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Nick - question? on 10/30/2012 12:03:11 MDT Print View

Scott,

I only use this in winter in sub-freezing temperatures to keep my water from freezing at night. Sometimes I will cook up a hot beverage or soup and consume it while hiking. Not as good as a Thermos, but weighs a lot less and no concerns about breakage. Weight triumphs over long-term hot every time :)

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Nick - question? on 10/30/2012 12:25:15 MDT Print View

"it turned into slush in just four hours..."

Not nearly enough rum :)

Scott Ireland
(WinterWarlock) - MLife

I've gone back and forth on 10/30/2012 12:25:20 MDT Print View

between carrying a stove, or just carrying a thermos. While it's nice to stop and heat something up, I have found the urge to keep moving is stronger, so opted for the HydroFlask instead...

Scott Ireland
(WinterWarlock) - MLife

Re: Re: Nick - question? on 10/30/2012 12:26:31 MDT Print View

"Not nearly enough rum :)"

Jamesons...

Believe it or not, on that day - the bottle of Jamesons in my car was a bit slushy too!!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: relative cold on 10/30/2012 12:40:05 MDT Print View

"the bottle of Jamesons in my car was a bit slushy too!"

That is cold! But we're glad you checked it to make sure :D If it is cold enough to make 40% alcohol(80 proof) slushy, it will take a good thermos to keep things hot.

I like to take an Esbit wing stove and a 450ml mug with a small windscreen to whip up some soup or hot beverage. An "Ikea wood stove" and IMUSA mug would be good to make more hot stuff for a small group on a winter day hike.

Scott Ireland
(WinterWarlock) - MLife

Re: Re: relative cold on 10/30/2012 12:43:37 MDT Print View

"I like to take an Esbit wing stove and a 450ml mug with a small windscreen to whip up some soup or hot beverage. An "Ikea wood stove" and IMUSA mug would be good to make more hot stuff for a small group on a winter day hike."

I tried carrying a Jetboil once, but it was too cold for the canisters so couldn't get a good flame to stay lit. I have a wood stove, but much of the High Peaks area doesn't allow fires, so that won't work...and it seems overkill to bring a full on gas stove like a Dragonfly...

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: relative cold on 10/30/2012 13:06:30 MDT Print View

For winter hiking, I'm thinking of the wettest conditions imaginable, so fire danger just isn't an issue-- common sense prevailing of course. A liquid fuel stove would be good for a small group and shared load, but bulky for one or two and day hiking. If you are melting snow, that is about it.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Nalgene bottle jacket on 11/01/2012 22:58:55 MDT Print View

I had some items on my bench today and discovered that a Lowepro #2 lens case makes a perfect bottle insulator for a one liter Nalgene. It has a handy dandy super belt loop on the back. Interior dimensions are 8.25" x 3.5" and weight is 6.8oz.

Lowepro #2 lens case
Lowepro #2 lens case
Lowepro #2 lens case

Yes 1000
(mamamia) - F
Update on 12/09/2012 19:26:52 MST Print View

Just wanted to provide an update on REI flask.

I have taken it on couple of hikes, but put it to real test yesterday on a snowshoeing in the Mt.Hood area, the temps were in 30's and the flask stayed in the side pockets of my backpack. I filled it with hot choclate ~7AM and pulled out to drink at ~ 2PM and it was extremely hot that I had to open the lid and let it cool down a bit. The tic-tac button dispenser works very well without any leaks.

Tip: Fill the flask with some boiling water for 5-10 minutes before you pour your drink into it.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Thermos Flask on 12/11/2012 23:30:59 MST Print View

A couple of easy tests you can do.
The typical temperature inside your fridge is 40f, the freezer should run at around 0
So depending on what you call cold, shove your insulated container or flask in your fridge /freezer, leave that for the desired time (IE I want my drink to be hot for 2/3/4/5 hours) and you will have a much better idea.
In my limited experience and insulated container (like the ones for the Nalgene) work for a couple of hours at around 32f.
(if you start with 750ml/1 L) for lower temps you need a vacuum flask ("Thermos")
A mate has used the REI flask down to -40 several times, it works well for several hours.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Thermos Flask on 12/12/2012 11:10:00 MST Print View

If you want truly *hot* liquids, get a Stanley or other glass-lined vacuum thermos. I don't worry much about weight on dayhikes, so sometimes I take one for tea and another for soup. (I make someone else carry one if they want me to share, though ;) I don't know that I would take my Stanley on a trip longer than an overnighter, however. It's a definite luxury item with a weight penalty and if it were truly frigid I'd probably choose to spend the ounces on more insulation.

Yes 1000
(mamamia) - F
Re: Thermos Flask on 12/19/2012 21:28:08 MST Print View

I have tested that when stored inside the freezer, the liquid stays hot for at least 4 hrs. Not sure how your friend manages to keep it ht in -40's. May be be buries it deep in his pack I suppose.

Yes its a luxury item and in my opinion best investment one can make for day hikes in winter.