Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Seamstress for hire

Display Avatars Sort By:
Joseph Bernier
(sigeats) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Seamstress for hire on 03/22/2007 08:06:11 MDT Print View

Looking for someone to hire to sew a Ray-Way tarp and Net-Tent kit. I don't have any experience with a sewing machine, and I don't want to ruin my new kit. Looking for a pro who can put it together for me.

Any ideas? Maybe take it to a local tailor?

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
I also need a seamstress on 03/22/2007 10:24:50 MDT Print View

To replace some sleeping bag zippers. Looks like there is a demand for one good person. Any takers?

Eric Parsons
(EricP) - F

Locale: Alaska
Kit on 03/22/2007 11:09:43 MDT Print View

Isnt the purpose of a kit so that you put it together? I would think that buying the kit and paying someone else to sew it is going to be more expensive than just buying a complete product.

Jump on that sewing machine! dont be scared of it, get some cheap material or old sheets and learn how to make felled seams and the basics of putting together something from a pattern. We all have to start somewhere.

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Seamstress for hire on 03/22/2007 11:46:14 MDT Print View

Joe, Just as a suggestion, be reminded that here in SoCal, we have as many “piecework” seamstresses as any place in the U.S., if not more. Just ask around your local neighborhood and workplace to get networked into a competent seamstress. We have had housekeepers in the past who have sewn various projects for some extra cash. The vestibule for my Bibler I-Tent, e.g., was sewn by our housekeeper. She was happy for the extra work, the quality was excellent and sewn to my own specs. I would tend to avoid, if possible, a tailor since your goal by buying a kit, I assume, was to obtain some quality gear at a reasonable cost.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Seamstress for hire on 03/22/2007 15:08:20 MDT Print View

If you have access to a sewing machine I say give it a try yourself. You'll be suprised at just how easy it is.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
get in touch with your inner bobbin on 03/22/2007 16:43:07 MDT Print View

My wife is giving me sewing 'lessons'. She ends up doing most of the sewing, but I can do the straight stitching pretty good now.

Go for it!

Gene .
(Tracker)

Locale: New England
Re: Seamstress for hire on 03/23/2007 11:40:07 MDT Print View

Joe, contact Pennys over at the Lightweight Backpacker website, she can make you anything you want reasonably IMO. Go post under the MYOG threads, she's one of the Moderators, and will be easy to find.

Dwight Shackelford
(zydeholic) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: Seamstress for hire on 03/23/2007 12:43:11 MDT Print View

backpacking.net is the website address.