Source Needed: Soft Aluminum
Display Avatars Sort By:
Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Source Needed: Soft Aluminum on 10/27/2012 15:30:46 MDT Print View

I'm looking for aluminum bar stock, dead soft, 1" wide by 0.25" thick. Less than 10' total.
1100-0 or 2024-0 preferred.

Know any small shop supplier, hobby house, or similar?

Thanks.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Source Needed: Soft Aluminum on 10/27/2012 18:37:59 MDT Print View

The bars sold in the metal displays in the better hardware stores are about the softest I've seen. Easily bendable, but they do have some temper. I used to use 2024T4 for pack stays, only because it was stiffer than the hardware stuff and held its shape better to transfer weight, but still could be bent to desired shape.
Your mention of hobby stores is probably right - the aluminum stock they sell tends to be quite soft for making models. I've only seen much smaller dimensions, though (for models).
Good luck.

Cameron Dean
(chd) - M
Aluminum Splint on 11/24/2012 01:07:02 MST Print View

Don't know if this is exactly what you want, but I just looked at my finger that is wearing an aluminum splint. It is extremely soft, bendable, and about the dimensions you describe. It has a layer of foam that would have to be removed, though.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Aluminum Splint on 11/24/2012 07:41:36 MST Print View

Yep. That's the stuff.

I just don't know where to find it in the required dimensions.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: Re: Aluminum Splint on 11/24/2012 21:44:58 MST Print View

Google Prosthetics and Orthopedic for the largest town/city near you. Go visit them and ask for what you need.

I googled it for my town and came up with 6 places that make custom items.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
soft ALU on 11/25/2012 18:02:45 MST Print View

Since you're still looking, try 'busbar' used by electricians. It must be soft to have the high conductivity. Maybe it will be a little bigger than the jewelry and orthopedic stuff.