November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
ultralite tights?
Display Avatars Sort By:
evan eisentrager
(evaneis) - MLife

Locale: western Mass
ultralite tights? on 10/26/2012 20:32:02 MDT Print View

Anybody know where I can find super light men's tights? I've seen references in older posts about tights that weigh under 2 ounces. Sahalie is the brand mentioned but their website currently doesn't list men's tights. Any other ideas that would be 3 ounces or less for a size large?

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
light weight tights on 10/26/2012 20:39:56 MDT Print View

Sure, ;-)

Dena Kelley

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
ultralite tights? on 10/26/2012 23:12:43 MDT Print View

Yes 1000
Re: light weight tights on 10/26/2012 23:40:36 MDT Print View

Serge Giachetti
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
Halloween store on 10/26/2012 23:58:48 MDT Print View

Recently my friend and I were packing our gear at the trailhead for a few nights in the weminuche. As I was extolling the virtues of the latest lightweight powerdry grid, my friend pulls out three boxes of striped halloween tights--white, orange, and pink. "They're ultralight, quick drying and only $2 a peice," he says. I just looked at him. "And they're synthetic," he added, having already been forced to leave behind his favorite cotton shirt. I couldn't argue with that, so we decided he should wear the pink b/c it was the most glam-rock and easily replaced an orange hunting vest.
Tights are in

Tights are in.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Halloween store on 10/27/2012 00:35:38 MDT Print View

Roger is going to be SO jealous.

David A
(DavidAdair) - M

Locale: West Dakota
Re: Halloween store on 10/27/2012 02:15:58 MDT Print View

"I just looked at him. "And they're synthetic," he added" -LOL

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: ultralite tights? on 10/27/2012 08:04:52 MDT Print View

This is a little off your question but I thought I'd throw it in anyway. I've tried wearing loose fitting pants with and without thin tights underneath. To me it feels cooler with the tights than without them.

I think the tights compress my leg hair and thereby reduce insulation and warmth around my legs.

Ken T.
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: All up in there
Re: ultralite tights? on 10/27/2012 08:08:23 MDT Print View

Hair. Nature's base layer.

If I could get some barber pole patterned tights I could wear them with my Cat in the Hat hat. Simply stunning.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: ultralite tights? on 10/27/2012 09:05:51 MDT Print View

> To me it feels cooler with the ultralight tights than without them.

I have have also had the same experience. that ultralight tights + lose pants *felt* cooler than just the pants... but I also noticed that I started to overheat sooner. So I *think* perception is somehow thrown off and they are adding warmth.

I found the tights by themselves felt warmer than bare legs.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Re: Re: ultralite tights? on 10/27/2012 09:44:24 MDT Print View

Yeah, I tend to think that has a lot to do with it too, Mark.

For many years I used silk long johs as a base layer while fishing in below zero temps (Steelhead bite pretty well in December, January and February following a salmon run.) Often, temps were 0F and below at first light. As part of a layering system, they really excell at low volume, high heat retention. After the silk wore out, I switched to modified pantihose. These worked pretty well, too.

Again, I really don't *think* they are any cooler, they just cause perspiration to accumulate outside of them. You think "cooler" when your skin is dry, whether it actually cooler or not...perception.

BTW: Here is what worked for me, silk, light weight nylon/poly(mid size), heavy weight wool(large size), synthetic quilted of some sort(large size), oversized pants... About a half inch or so when all was added together. Waders were also oversized, requiring a seperate set for winter water. Worked for up to 10 hours of wading and fishing. NO DOWN. The waders held every bit of sweat.

UL tights. on 10/27/2012 12:04:14 MDT Print View

Silk is about the lightest, but not worth much when wet.

I have some from walmart, $3 on clearance, starter compression tights, 4 oz in medium.
I have RAB meco 120 as well, maybe 4.5 oz on medium

Honestly, the UL tights dont provide much warmth at all. A 6oz pair of cheap duofold poly/wool provides an order of magnitude more.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: UL tights. on 10/27/2012 20:39:19 MDT Print View

> Honestly, the UL tights dont provide much warmth at all.

I agree it's not a huge amount of warmth. What they did better that just about anything was breath and avoid chaffing.