Forum Index » GEAR » ultralite tights?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Evan E.
(evaneis) - M

Locale: New England
ultralite tights? on 10/26/2012 20:32:02 MDT Print View

Anybody know where I can find super light men's tights? I've seen references in older posts about tights that weigh under 2 ounces. Sahalie is the brand mentioned but their website currently doesn't list men's tights. Any other ideas that would be 3 ounces or less for a size large?

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
light weight tights on 10/26/2012 20:39:56 MDT Print View

http://www.underworks.com/hosiery/pantyhose.html#large

Sure, ;-)

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
ultralite tights? on 10/26/2012 23:12:43 MDT Print View

*Giggle*

Yes 1000
(mamamia) - F
Re: light weight tights on 10/26/2012 23:40:36 MDT Print View

ROFL

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
Halloween store on 10/26/2012 23:58:48 MDT Print View

Recently my friend and I were packing our gear at the trailhead for a few nights in the weminuche. As I was extolling the virtues of the latest lightweight powerdry grid, my friend pulls out three boxes of striped halloween tights--white, orange, and pink. "They're ultralight, quick drying and only $2 a peice," he says. I just looked at him. "And they're synthetic," he added, having already been forced to leave behind his favorite cotton shirt. I couldn't argue with that, so we decided he should wear the pink b/c it was the most glam-rock and easily replaced an orange hunting vest.
Tights are in

Tights are in.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Halloween store on 10/27/2012 00:35:38 MDT Print View

Roger is going to be SO jealous.

David Adair
(DavidAdair) - M

Locale: West Dakota
Re: Halloween store on 10/27/2012 02:15:58 MDT Print View

"I just looked at him. "And they're synthetic," he added" -LOL

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: ultralite tights? on 10/27/2012 08:04:52 MDT Print View

This is a little off your question but I thought I'd throw it in anyway. I've tried wearing loose fitting pants with and without thin tights underneath. To me it feels cooler with the tights than without them.

I think the tights compress my leg hair and thereby reduce insulation and warmth around my legs.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: ultralite tights? on 10/27/2012 08:08:23 MDT Print View

Hair. Nature's base layer.

If I could get some barber pole patterned tights I could wear them with my Cat in the Hat hat. Simply stunning.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: ultralite tights? on 10/27/2012 09:05:51 MDT Print View

> To me it feels cooler with the ultralight tights than without them.

I have have also had the same experience. that ultralight tights + lose pants *felt* cooler than just the pants... but I also noticed that I started to overheat sooner. So I *think* perception is somehow thrown off and they are adding warmth.

I found the tights by themselves felt warmer than bare legs.

--Mark

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Re: Re: ultralite tights? on 10/27/2012 09:44:24 MDT Print View

Yeah, I tend to think that has a lot to do with it too, Mark.

For many years I used silk long johs as a base layer while fishing in below zero temps (Steelhead bite pretty well in December, January and February following a salmon run.) Often, temps were 0F and below at first light. As part of a layering system, they really excell at low volume, high heat retention. After the silk wore out, I switched to modified pantihose. These worked pretty well, too.

Again, I really don't *think* they are any cooler, they just cause perspiration to accumulate outside of them. You think "cooler" when your skin is dry, whether it actually cooler or not...perception.

BTW: Here is what worked for me, silk, light weight nylon/poly(mid size), heavy weight wool(large size), synthetic quilted of some sort(large size), oversized pants... About a half inch or so when all was added together. Waders were also oversized, requiring a seperate set for winter water. Worked for up to 10 hours of wading and fishing. NO DOWN. The waders held every bit of sweat.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
UL tights. on 10/27/2012 12:04:14 MDT Print View

Silk is about the lightest, but not worth much when wet.

I have some from walmart, $3 on clearance, starter compression tights, 4 oz in medium.
I have RAB meco 120 as well, maybe 4.5 oz on medium

Honestly, the UL tights dont provide much warmth at all. A 6oz pair of cheap duofold poly/wool provides an order of magnitude more.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: UL tights. on 10/27/2012 20:39:19 MDT Print View

> Honestly, the UL tights dont provide much warmth at all.

I agree it's not a huge amount of warmth. What they did better that just about anything was breath and avoid chaffing.

--Mark