Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » Any suggestions for a good mid-December trip?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Any suggestions for a good mid-December trip? on 10/25/2012 18:37:03 MDT Print View

I'm interested in doing about a ten day trip in southern/central California - or other warm place OOA 11-22 December 2012 I was thinking of something together with Joshua Tree NP, mainly because I've never been there, but definitely open to other ideas.

I just need a relatively easy public transit (or hitch) to TH for start and finish and maybe one simple, accessible resupply along the way. I know this is very general, but hopefully a few of you can suggest some good trips you enjoyed that fit the bill.

Thanks!

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Day to day mileage? on 10/25/2012 18:47:17 MDT Print View

What sort of daily mileage do you envision? Are you looking to stay on maintained, clear trails or are you okay with some bushwhacking/route finding either on or off-trail?

There are ways to string together a 10-day trip or so in the Los Padres National Forest behind Santa Barbara/Ojai area. There's a few trailheads that leave from in or near town in both of these areas that you could get (reasonably close) to with public transit.

A resupply point might be a little bit of a challenge, but there's probably some work-arounds like using one of the USFS ranger or fire stations, or restaurants/general stores on the edges of the forest. I know some friends have looked into this in the past and a couple of the local businesses seemed open to the idea of hikers using their business for a resupply point (with prior arrangements of course).

If it's something you're interested in, PM me and I can try to give you some more details/thoughts on possible route and resupply options.

-Nick