Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tarptent Moment or?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Re: Uh, what? on 11/07/2012 12:32:39 MST Print View

@Miguel and that is why I prefer my Moment over the Notch, more space inside, but less space outside.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Tarptent Moment or? on 11/07/2012 13:32:10 MST Print View

"He could have put in a rear vestibule, at least a vent, even with only 7 feet to work with.
But he didn't."
moment end vent
If by "end" you meant the side, there is a "vent" option there too:Moment side vent
Moment side vent inside

Edited by Franco on 11/07/2012 13:43:24 MST.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
brushing condensation on 11/08/2012 08:27:45 MST Print View

@ Franco- Yes, I think he means the back side, not the ends where the carbon stays are located. I had never thought of hiking up that rear edge like that- it looks like it would help considerably.

@ Sam- So, see how high the mesh is on that back side? I have a hard time imagining that anyone would have significant trouble brushing up against the silnylon on the back. And as I mentioned, not having a "rear vestibule" seems like a weak criticism IMO. I'd rather have one vestibule of decent size than two uselessly small ones. And I can't see how you'd need two vestibules (or two doors) in a 1P tent.

Edited by acrosome on 11/08/2012 11:29:24 MST.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
TT Moment on 11/09/2012 22:56:22 MST Print View

"And I can't see how you'd need two vestibules (or two doors) in a 1P tent."

Scarp. Until you've experienced rear storage, and had the full front vestibule for cooking, eating, and getting in and out, you haven't experienced the best that a solo tent can offer. All that front vestibule space is not so great if you have to clamber over and around your stuff (pack, camp chair, footwear, sopping raingear, etc.) to get through it.

"The Notch is a great shelter, but I personally would prefer bigger inner floor space."

That's what you'd get, on the Moment as well, were the carbon struts longer as earlier noted.

"I didn't have problems brushing up against that rear wall."

A number of folks have, and have posted about it here. Wouldn't it be nice to have a single wall tent that you don't have to constantly 'wipe down' inside.

Franco - it was election night in the USA, I had been celebrating, and shamelessly allowed myself to to drift once again into heretical observations about a TarpTent. The devil made me do it.

On a more positive note, I've been corresponding a bit with Roger about Warmlite's self-touted experiments decades ago with Mylar laminates to reduce condensation on its single wall tents. There were problems with delamination, and all was soon forgotten. More recently, Cubic Tech has been more successful with laminating Mylar with high tech fibers, and there have been a number of posts observing that less condensation has occurred with Cuben fiber single walls. But I think having your head, foot and sides protected from condensation in a single wall tent is still a big plus.

Sierra Designs tried what some refer to as a 'hybrid' between single and double wall. One iteration was called the "Baku," and another 'Velox,' I think. They got a lot of complaints about condensation also in these tents, and discontinued them. No matter what you call them, it's just possible that with vented netting walls front and back, and vented netting at head and foot as on the Moment, good shoulder and headroom, and a top-vented Cuben single wall canopy, condensation can be reduced enough to make a tent as comfortable as a full double wall. It's worth trying, I think, to cut out the weight of a full net inner. And the netting that remains is doing double duty to keep out bugs and provide access to entry, exit and storage.

Edited by scfhome on 11/09/2012 23:03:28 MST.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
"...1.5 walled tents." on 11/10/2012 12:45:17 MST Print View

Dean, my Moment IS a "1.5 walled tent", having purchased the liner. the Moment liner does not cover the front side, which is all netting and protects you from condenbsation in teh vestibule. Thus the "1.5 walled" esignation is accurate.

I will say the liner gives the Moment a bit more warmth and certainly keeps the occupant from getting condensation on them.

Henry Shires has VERY cleverly designed the Moment to do many things well in a 3 season environment. My mods are merely decorations on the frosting of this tasty cake.