Forum Index » GEAR » New quilt user.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Locale: NW Montana
Re: @ MB on 10/23/2012 23:00:22 MDT Print View

Play with it and experiment. Find what works for you. Even better, do it when the stakes are low (like in your backyard or car camp with your gear), and you'll be even more confident in the backcountry.

We all do things a bit differently, and it's experience that makes the difference.

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
fluff on 10/24/2012 06:50:06 MDT Print View

Be sure to fluff the down back to the middle before going to sleep. I failed to do that on a cold night and dearly paid the price for it. I was cold and miserable when I failed to realize all of the down had migrated to the ends of the quilt. The down migrates easily in these quilts which is a mixed blessing.

Harrison Carpenter
(carpenh) - M

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley
Re: fluff on 10/24/2012 06:54:17 MDT Print View

Would overfill reduce the migration?

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Overstuff on 10/24/2012 07:06:16 MDT Print View

Tim and other Enlightened quilt users say that is why they choose the overstuff-to reduce how much down migrates. I wish I would have known that before ordering my quilt because I would have chosen that option. At the time I thought it was only to increase the warmth of the quilt. You still need to fluff it before going to sleep but apparently more of the down stays in place in the baffles.

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

Locale: Rocky Mtn. West
thanks on 10/24/2012 07:21:03 MDT Print View

I will be sure to fluff as much as I can. I'm a little tight with the two pads inside of the bivy, so it could be challenging. I did order a 10* overstuff...so I'll be close with this 4 degree forecast.