Forum Index » GEAR » Light and roomy fully-enclosed 2-person tent?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Light and roomy fully-enclosed 2-person tent? on 10/22/2012 11:41:52 MDT Print View

I'm thinking about taking the plunge and plunking down the $$ for a cuben tent. Looking at my gear room, I noticed that I'm collecting a brevy of small tents... solo, solo+dog, solo+bugs, UL but small 2-person, roomy but heavy 2-person, etc.

I'm looking to simplify. I really like the idea of having one "go to" tent for most of my trips, whether I go alone, with the dog, or with my son and have it handle all 3-season conditions, including bugs and humidity.

I haven't completely abandoned the idea of making one but, right now, I'm too busy (and lazy.)

So, what should I consider? What I'd like:
- sub 2lb for everything (i.e. seam-sealed, lines, stakes) except for support
- hiking poles for support
- fully enclosed. Note that it's not enough to just have a net "curtain" with a separate floor. We had mice issues last fall and want it fully enclosed with a solid floor.
- minimal condensation issues (I just don't want to have to think about it too much)
- "roomy" interior, minimal crawling
- solo + large dog (or skinny teen) + gear (vestibule or inside, I don't care)

My first thought is the Lightheart Solong, in cuben, with the awning. I have the LH Solo and really like it, especially the easy setup, but it's too small for me and my dog.

Any cons for cuben, aside from the price?

Herbert Sitz
(hes)

Locale: Pacific NW
SMD Haven on 10/22/2012 12:40:10 MDT Print View

Sounds like a Six Moon Designs Haven tarp with Haven nettent would be close to what you want. The silnylon version is, I think, 34oz, and in cuben your total weight would be around 26 ounces:
Haven tarp
Haven nettent

Mountain Laurel Duomid is another possible option, don't think it's as roomy as the Haven though.

Tarptent has a couple options, of which favorite of mine in your situation would be the Stratospire 2, but that comes in at around 40ounces.

Silnyon/cuben comparisons have been subject of many threads here on BPL.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Tarptent on 10/22/2012 21:50:19 MDT Print View

Tarptent has several good 2 person tents, some single wall(some of those with optional liners), and some nice double wall models.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Re: SMD Haven on 10/23/2012 05:01:53 MDT Print View

Thanks for the Haven suggestion. I'd seen it but didn't catch that it came in a cuben model.

I'm a Tarptent fan and my current solo+dog tent is the Contrail. No complaints at all with Tarptent but to go to a roomy 2-person and stay under 2lb seems impossible in silnylon, and that's really the only reason I'm not considering them.

I'm pretty firm on the 2lb limit.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Re: Re: SMD Haven on 10/23/2012 07:22:01 MDT Print View

Although it's been right there on the internet, I hadn't "virtually assembled" that kit with the Cuben Haven and inner tent... yeah, 26 ounces before stakes and trekking poles. That's impressive, especially for a tent with some length to it.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Light and roomy fully-enclosed 2-person tent? on 10/23/2012 09:40:18 MDT Print View

Hello,

Article I did a week ago can help you out.

Two-person Sub 900 gram Fully Enclosed Shelters

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Re: Re: Light and roomy fully-enclosed 2-person tent? on 10/24/2012 05:03:05 MDT Print View

Thanks, John, that was really helpful; exactly what I was looking for. For my purposes, I'll probably also include the cuben Lightheart Solong. As expected, all the prices are 'impressive'.

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
TS + Inner on 10/24/2012 06:42:29 MDT Print View

Not sure what you're willing to spend but I use the Trailstar and Oookworks Inner. Can use just the TS when bugs aren't an issue and of course the inner when they are. I tried to do netting myself for the TS but finally gave up and used Oookworks. It is a very efficient inner, using virtually all of the large TS tarp space. All in, still less than cubin.