Forum Index » GEAR » Looking for a solo tent

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jaap Aap
(T-rex) - F
Looking for a solo tent on 10/21/2012 21:54:51 MDT Print View

Hi!

It's been a while since I've been here. I don't hike a lot, but I'm planning to go hiking again. I've hiked using a Jack Wolfskin Gossamer tent before, it was what I could afford. Not super lightweight, but in terms of weight, good enough for me. However, I couldn't sit upright in the tent, which sort of annoyed me at times, when it rained every day :p

So I'm looking for a tent or tent setup with the following requirements:

- Solo
- Being able to sit upright
- Weigh less than 1.5kg total (that's 3 pounds or so) preferably under 1 kg.
- Not too expensive
- Bug free
- Quite versatile (withstand long rains, but doesn't need to go to the north pole either)
- Can be bought in Europe (which can be a problem sometimes, sadly)

I do have a Golite poncho tarp, which I could use somehow in the setup, but I don't think going full tarping is the best plan for me. For one thing because I don't see how one could easily set it up to be both windproof and high enough to sit under. Perhaps I could make it adjustable or so. Anybody any tips?

But perhaps buying a tent is better. So far I was looking at the Golite Shangri-LA-1 but I can't find a reseller in Europe. And I was looking at the Six Moon Design Skyscapers, but surely there is a lot more out there.

Thanks a lot for any help you can provide. I'm not really into all of this so I hoped you could help. Any suggestions on tents/systems would be great.

T-Rex

Edited by T-rex on 10/21/2012 21:58:46 MDT.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
Re Looking for a solo tent on 10/22/2012 00:10:19 MDT Print View

I see the Shang-ri-la tents on Gear Swap all the time- perhaps you could get one of the sellers to ship to your location if you pay the difference in shipping costs?

The tent I currently use falls into your requirements (except I'm not sure if it's available for sale in Europe): I use the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. However, my most folks' standards here, that's a heavy tent.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
duomid on 10/22/2012 08:34:05 MDT Print View

I'd look at some of the Mid designs, almost all can be had w/ a inner "tent" when you need bug protection- when you don't you can simply use the outer. Most are very weather (wind/rain/snow) resistant. Most are pretty darn light.

I have both a Duomid that is used when my wife comes along or solo winter camping and a Solo Trailstar (now called Cricket tarp)

the Mid design allows plenty of room to situp and something like a Duomid for 1 person is very spacious

as mentioned above these pop up frequently on Gear Swap

Kenneth Houseal
(Homewardbound)
LHG on 10/22/2012 09:01:30 MDT Print View

Look up the LightHeartGear Solo. Judy makes top notch tents, i believe the custom which comes in your color of choice is $275 and the standard is $245. I believe the weight is somewhere around 27oz and you can definitely sit up inside! You'll have to order the tent and have it shipped from the states though.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Looking for a solo tent" on 10/22/2012 10:07:57 MDT Print View

I really like my fly creek ul1. It's barely over two lbs. I can sit up in it (5'8')to change clothes no problem. With a polycryo ground sheet it's pretty great.

Charles P
(mediauras)

Locale: Terra
Re: Looking for a solo tent on 10/22/2012 10:14:49 MDT Print View

Re: sitting up, how tall are you?

Tarptent Moment is a good option.

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
rainbow on 10/22/2012 12:28:17 MDT Print View

tarptent rainbow is huge inside, because it has the arch going the long way, almost all the space inside is usable. It's also very easy to pitch, and takes little room on the ground. However, cross winds are probably going to blow cold air through the tent because it is still basically a tarp-tent.

It actually feels sort of ridiculously huge to me.

I don't know if tarptents are easy to get in europe though.

I believe, based on that data provided by European tent companies, that the silnylon they are using is significantly more water resistant than the stuff being used in the USA, even the shield stuff. ie, 5000 mm hydrostatic head, and in heavy rain, that's a big deal, so you might want to verify those numbers, the US stuff seems to be around 1500 or so, not sure what the shield sil that Henry of tarptent sources is officially. Maybe 2000 I'm guessing?

Paul Ashton
(PDA123) - F

Locale: Eastern Mass
solo tent on 10/22/2012 15:51:06 MDT Print View

Terra Nova have some really weight 1 person light tents. laser competition is under a kilo (but pricey) but they have a cheaper version, the zephyros 1 which is half the price but 1.5 kilos. Headroom is restricted, as in almost all single hoop pole tents. Tarptent is an exception, and the stratospire 1 is under a kilo (plus trekking poles) and has 48" headroom (about 1m4cm). Not sure if there is a distributor in europe, but a quite a few users in the UK (but they may buy direct).
Bacpackinglight.co.uk has two moderately priced, lightweight 1+ tents worth investigating. The lightwave, which is a single hoop, but with 1m 8cm height in the centre, and the Minipeak 2, which is a pyramid type.

Edited by PDA123 on 10/22/2012 15:58:29 MDT.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Six Moon Designs on 10/22/2012 16:46:11 MDT Print View

If you want a 24 oz. Solo tent with bug protection and wind/rain protection, the SMD Skyscape series is very nice. Right at 1 kg is the Scout and it's only $125. For $225, you can get the Skyscape Trekker (24 oz. seam sealed with guy lines), and for $450 or so, the all cuben Skyscape X is 15 oz. These are very well made (i've owned the Scout and Skyscape and the X gets good reviews) and quite spacious for one. If you don't use/own trekking poles, you need the optional poles, but they are also very reasonably priced.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Tarptent Moment on 10/22/2012 21:45:24 MDT Print View

I love my Tarptent Moment but they have six (!) other solo tents to choose from. I believe no other tent maker has as many solo tent designs. And Henry's designs are very clever and solid.

And as mentioned above, the Six Moon Design Skyscape silnylon tent is very good and their Cuben fabric Skyscape X is to die for - IF you can afford it.

Ryan Dorn
(fiestabuckeye)
LightHeart Gear Solo on 10/23/2012 13:44:06 MDT Print View

How about the LightHeart Gear Solo?

- Solo - CHECK

- Being able to sit upright - CHECK, I'm 6'0 and have no problem at all.

- Weigh less than 1.5kg total (that's 3 pounds or so) preferably under 1 kg. - CHECK, 27 ounces

- Bug free - CHECK

- Quite versatile (withstand long rains, but doesn't need to go to the north pole either) - CHECK. Room enough room to bring gear inside. The awning option makes it even more versatile.

- Can be bought in Europe (which can be a problem sometimes, sadly) - CHECK

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Notch by TarpTent on 10/23/2012 21:09:12 MDT Print View

Very nice double wall enclosure. Only four stakes. Go check it out

Harrison Carpenter
(carpenh) - M

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley
Re: Notch by TarpTent on 10/23/2012 21:12:31 MDT Print View

+1 on the Notch. Easy to set up, roomy, well ventilated.