Forum Index » GEAR » What do you sleep on?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Douglas Hus
(Hustler) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
What do you sleep on? on 03/20/2007 15:01:40 MDT Print View

What is under your sleeping Bag?

I have evolved into a Big Agnes air mattress, a tent floor and a ground sheet.
I have not found a more comfortable mattress as the BA.
(For those of you that say; Comfort sometimes does trump lightness)

Doug

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
BA Insulated Air Core on 03/20/2007 15:13:36 MDT Print View

I switched from Thermarest to BA a while back. I was tired of tossing and turning trying to get warm and comfortable. My latest pad, a BA Insulated Air Core good to around 15F, weighs 23 oz since I decided to go for the long this time. It's been great not having my feet sitting on top of something else for a change. I've had quite a few "slept right through the night(s)" lately...great for these old bones.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
What do you sleep on? on 03/20/2007 15:16:48 MDT Print View

Evazote pad and bivy

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: What do you sleep on? on 03/20/2007 15:23:26 MDT Print View

Just last year, I "graduated" from a blue foam to a self-inflating pad (REI Lite Core). Aging is no fun. :(

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: What do you sleep on? on 03/20/2007 15:28:51 MDT Print View

GG Nightlight Torso (pack under my legs) and GG spinnaker ground cloth. And forget the compressed down, I just finished a homemade quilt (17.5 oz) that I used successfully down to 30* the other night. I couldn't be happier with it, it turned out great!
I don't think I sacrificed a whole lot of comfort switching from an old Thermarest to the GG pad. Its shorter, but provides a lot of padding and warmth for such a small weight. I was actually just as comfortable on it the other night as I ever was with the Thermarest.

Adam

cat morris
(catt) - F

Locale: Alaska
prolite 3 on 03/20/2007 15:31:15 MDT Print View

Have a 3/4 original, full size original, & luxury thermarest.
Now am thrilled with the comfort & lightness (13 oz) of my short prolite 3 thermarest. And I am a fussy sleeper.

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: What do you sleep on? on 03/20/2007 15:31:29 MDT Print View

Air--in a Hennessy hammock. That's by far the most comfortable for me, winter or summer.

On the ground I've been using a GG ThinLight 1/8" pad with a GG NightLight Torso or BMW Torsolite. Neither arrangement is very comfortable for my creaky bones, so I picked up an OR/Exped DownMat 7 Short. I haven't tried it yet, though. I'm willing to carry some extra weight rather than have wakeful nights, but not quite as much as my original 2.3-pound Therm-A-Rest. Maybe if I spent more than a week out at a time I could get used to thinner pads.

Edited by Otter on 03/21/2007 08:45:26 MDT.

William Siemens
(alaskaman) - F
what do you sleep on on 03/20/2007 15:44:21 MDT Print View

in warmer weather (just below freezing an up) an Exped foam air. In subzero, an Exped downmat 9. I seriously begrudge the weight - 26 oz for the foamair - but I knew I could no longer use my 1/8 ensolite, or 1" thermarest when I awoke so stiff that I literally could not tie my shoes in the morning. Stuff happens when you pass 60.

Valentin Zill
(Valentin.Zill) - F

Locale: Europe
Torso-size pad on 03/20/2007 15:56:26 MDT Print View

I sleep on a Gossamer Gear 3/8" pad, cut to torso size. Guess that's the lightest option one can choose. It's far from beeing comfortable, but it works and you know... Who cares about comfort? ;-)
However, I find that my legs tend to become quite cool during the night. Has anybody got advice for me how I can solve that problem? Insulating pant? Or does it really help to use the empty pack? I don't carry any spare clothing with my that I don't wear at night either.
Below the GG ThinLite I have a GG Polycro ground sheet.
Of course that system works only in the warmer season w/temperatures above 32F.

Edited by Valentin.Zill on 03/20/2007 15:57:52 MDT.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: what do you sleep on on 03/20/2007 16:03:35 MDT Print View

Option 1 (using LL treking poles that double as cot side poles)
---
Luxury Lite 3/4 length ultralight cot
GG ThinLight 1/8" full length
No ground sheet

Option 2 (using kompedell CF poles)
---
Thermarest ProLite 3 3/4 length
GG Polycro ground sheet

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: What do you sleep on? on 03/20/2007 17:30:34 MDT Print View

Montbell torso pad + Montbell inflatable pillow on top of a 3/8" GG thinlite pad cut to 48". A lot of warmth and comfort for 16.1 oz. Vapor Trail pack goes under my lower legs and feet.

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: Torso-size pad on 03/20/2007 18:10:54 MDT Print View

> I find that my legs tend to become quite cool during the night. Has anybody got advice for me how I can solve that problem? Insulating pant?

A piece of GossamerGear ThinLight 1/8" sleeping pad cut to fit under your legs will make a big difference. (It's all I use with a quilt.) It will be much lighter than insulated pants if you weren't going to bring them anyway; a full-length GG ThinLight 1/8" pad weighs only 2.5 oz, and you could probably cut it down to 1 oz for just the legs.

Edited by Otter on 03/20/2007 18:21:26 MDT.

David Chan
(iamthechan) - F

Locale: Southern California
What do you sleep on? on 03/20/2007 20:14:18 MDT Print View

GG Nightlight Torso pad, pack under legs, waterproof bottom bivy. (homemade quilt on top)

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: What do you sleep on? on 03/20/2007 20:30:12 MDT Print View

ProLite 3

Jeremy Lynn Franchow
(jfranchow) - F

Locale: The Great Basin
Re: What do you sleep on? on 03/20/2007 20:55:09 MDT Print View

GG Nightlight Torso pad, Thermarest Lite Seat for the bony hips, Polycryo Ground Cloth

Bobby Moore
(Mooremoorebobby) - F

Locale: So Cal
What do you sleep on? on 03/21/2007 02:44:06 MDT Print View

The Insul Mat Uber Micro. Torso length at 3oz. It's Superb!

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: What do you sleep on? on 03/21/2007 07:16:18 MDT Print View

Hennessy Hammock.

Mina Loomis
(elmvine) - MLife

Locale: Central Texas
Re: What do you sleep on? on 03/21/2007 08:41:57 MDT Print View

3/4 length Ridgerest
Tent floor or, if in a tarp, plastic poncho groundcloth, or, in dry warm weather sometimes, just the Ridgerest
Pack under feet (for slight foot elevation as well as insulation/ground protection)

I am 56 and thus have every right to be creaky and need more padding, but since I sleep on an old packed-down futon at home, lack of padding while camping doesn't make much difference. It just depends on what you are used to.

Andy Goodell
(geekguyandy) - F

Locale: New York State
Re: What do you sleep on? on 03/21/2007 08:55:12 MDT Print View

Thermarest Prolite 3 short (14.5 oz with sack), montbell #3, and usually the floor of a leanto. Otherwise the floor of a double rainbow. I haven't tried many pads, mostly since the stores around here don't have them, and I've always liked the Thermarests. I don't think I need a down filled one since I don't normally camp in winter outside of huts.

Edited by geekguyandy on 03/21/2007 08:55:51 MDT.

John Mowery
(Mow) - F - M

Locale: Minnesota, USA
Re: What do you sleep on? on 03/21/2007 09:11:55 MDT Print View

Hennessy Hammock with a prolite 3 for warmth.