Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Black Friday / Cyber Monday
Display Avatars Sort By:
Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

Locale: Rocky Mtn. West
Black Friday / Cyber Monday on 10/19/2012 02:27:37 MDT Print View

I'm thinking ahead to my November / holiday budget, and anticipating the great American tradition of Black Friday! But, this is my first year approaching it as a newly converted light packer. Do any of you experienced BPLers have some tips or things to watch for over the holiday season to catch some screaming deals?

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Black Friday / Cyber Monday on 10/19/2012 16:11:56 MDT Print View

Raquel,

Most of the UL cottage guys and the more traditional REI-type stores will all have some sort of deals going. Be sure to check those usual suspects. I bet GoLite will have some screaming deals. Most of the sales will also be posted in Gear Deals by BPL members so it's pretty easy to keep up with them that way. Keep in mind though, you may have to act fast before the inventory runs out. Happy hunting.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 10/19/2012 16:12:29 MDT.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Re: Black Friday / Cyber Monday on 10/19/2012 20:22:22 MDT Print View

Backcountry.com will likely have a deep discounts on their gear. Also REI stores will give away gift cards to the first X number of customers in the morning (not sure if all stores, but my local AZ ones definitely do this). Those giftcards range anywhere from $5 to $100.

Stephen Bodiya
(stephen@bodiya.com) - F

Locale: Michigan
Cyber Monday Moosejaw Points on 10/20/2012 15:45:50 MDT Print View

Moosejaw.com has had 5x reward points (basically 50% that you can spend on Moosejaw.com/rewards) on Cyber Monday for the past few years. I'm not sure if it's safe to assume they will do it again, but it is a great opportunity if you know there are some things you'd like.

I was looking for sleeping bags the past few times they ran the sale, and over the past years picked up an Ultralite, Summerlite, Montbell UL Super Spiral, and a few pads on the 5x rewards deal. I ended up keeping only the Summerlite and a pad, but sold everything else on eBay for just about full cost.

This enabled me to profit from all of the points that they gave out with the 5x rewards deal. I still have some points left, but in the past year picked up a WM Antelope and Patagonia Guide Pants with most of the points saved from the Cyber Monday Deals :)

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

thank you on 10/24/2012 22:58:13 MDT Print View

for the tips everyone..I'm hoping for a good deal somewhere. Maybe a 4 season tent? A girl can dream, can't she?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
zelphs-stoveworks on 10/25/2012 20:51:02 MDT Print View

zelphs-stoveworks will be having a sale on stoves if your interested in lightweight cooking stuff. An introductory offer to the Fosters's Flat bottom cans will be part of the sale also.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Black Friday / Cyber Monday on 11/14/2012 20:26:43 MST Print View

Raquel, we are fast approaching the long awaited day:-))))

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Black Friday / Cyber Monday on 11/14/2012 20:52:04 MST Print View

"Do any of you experienced BPLers have some tips or things to watch for over the holiday season to catch some screaming deals?"

Go backpacking. The wilderness is empty.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Black Friday / Cyber Monday on 11/14/2012 20:55:30 MST Print View

Thank you Nick.
Black Friday is a great day to get out. Folk are either shopping or laying around the house sick, especially early morning. I plan on surfing a typically crowded break.

Superbowl Sunday is even better.

Shopping Holidays. Meh.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Black Friday / Cyber Monday on 11/14/2012 21:40:47 MST Print View

My holiday shopping is done. Thank you Al Gore for inventing the Internet. I will be backpacking the last two weeks of December, except the 25th. Joyce says I have to show up for the family dinner and give her presents.

Mark Rash
(markrvp) - M

Locale: North Texas
Zelph Sale on 11/15/2012 06:36:19 MST Print View

@Dan

Where will you have your sale posted?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Zelph Sale on 11/15/2012 07:42:40 MST Print View

My sale will only be posted here on BPL and my site bplite.com

I'll have a dedicated page at my online store www.zelph-stoveworks.com

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

@ Nick on 11/15/2012 07:46:37 MST Print View

ha ha ha. Thanks. Actually, I spent so much time building up my winter kit over the past few months and i'm just about ready to go except for a few tweeks. I'm packing this weekend and heading out to Capitol Reef NP to do Lower Muley Twist over Thanksgiving weekend. You should join me!

Edited by flutingaround on 11/15/2012 07:49:10 MST.

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

@ Dan on 11/15/2012 07:48:35 MST Print View

I want a screaming deal on one of those cans! he :)

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Blackpacking Friday on 11/15/2012 08:21:09 MST Print View

Well said, Nick. I'll be catching up with my son on the AT for several days. Great time to avoid the crowds and crazies.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Black Friday / Cyber Monday on 11/15/2012 08:25:39 MST Print View

James Reilly
(zippymorocco) - M

Locale: Montana
Zpacks on 11/15/2012 17:04:06 MST Print View

Zpacks is offering $25.00 off some of their gear.