Forum Index » Winter Hiking » How necessary is a 4 season tent?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re "How necessary is a 4 season ten on 10/19/2012 13:04:17 MDT Print View

I know I would be packing a 4 season tent in those conditions.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
having been snowed-in for a couple of days more than once even with a *good* weather report on 10/19/2012 13:30:28 MDT Print View

having some confidence in your tent lets you relax (somewhat), read a book, catch up on sleep drink hot chocolate, periodically step outside to clear some snow from around the tent and empty the pee bottle (do not forget the pee bottle). if you are unable to sleep because your bracing your tent for the next gust, or buried in spindrift that blows thru the mesh inner, you will probably survive (dead people usually aren't found in tents unless they are in an avalanche), but it will take a lot of the fun out of the adventure, but may provide good cocktail party chit-chat at some future date. Also, if you question your shelter you might decide it's better to hike out than hunker-down, and that's when they will find you in the spring thaw.

in reality, many people use a 3-season tent in winter conditions and not have any issues. you just need to decide where you want to be on the risk curve.

enjoy your trip.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: having been snowed-in for a couple of days more than once even with a *good* weather report on 10/19/2012 15:31:31 MDT Print View

Bumping again to make this thread visible again after the latest spam attack.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re "How necessary is a 4 season ten on 10/21/2012 16:42:56 MDT Print View

uninvisibility bump

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

Locale: Rocky Mtn. West
Rocky Mtn. winter camping - pictures! on 10/29/2012 09:58:24 MDT Print View

Hi Josh,

I think we might have exchanged a few e-mails on this topic, and I just wanted to follow up with some pictures from the CMC winter camping course that may be helpful (or fun!) for you to look at.

These pictures were taken by one of the instructors from the course:

https://picasaweb.google.com/JohnAldag/2012_10WinterCampingExamples?authkey=Gv1sRgCL2KjLSe7qGj9gE#

Let me know if you can't see them...

Edited by flutingaround on 10/29/2012 09:58:59 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

How necessary is a 4 season tent? on 11/16/2013 20:41:34 MST Print View

Winters coming

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: How necessary is a 4 season tent? on 11/16/2013 20:46:33 MST Print View

Stephen,
Raising the dead....?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: How necessary is a 4 season tent? on 11/16/2013 20:54:41 MST Print View

Greg,

I thought some folk might find it usefull.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
How necessary is a 4 season tent? on 11/18/2013 11:25:31 MST Print View

If I knew for sure there was a good liklyhood of heavy snow and/or wind, I would bring something besides my still working, 3 season, SD Halfmoon tent, which is relegated to car camping now. If mild weather, I could get by with my recently sold, TT floorless Squall. Many of the CA group I bp with have a BD Hilight like I do for snow camping. I used it a week ago for a weekend trip along the PCT up here in the N Sierra, north of Sierra City.
Duane

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Luv dem 4 season tents on 11/22/2013 20:27:37 MST Print View

I modded my SCARP 2 for winter B/c I like tenting as opposed to the work of building even a snow trench, let a lone a quinzhee or snow cave.

I sold my SW Moment and am getting a Moment DW with the ripstop inner tent, partially for solo winter camping.

So my answer is 4 season tents ARE necesary (for me), especially for making camp in a different location every afternoon.