Tarp Camping Techniques for Inclement Conditions
Display Avatars Sort By:
Phil Barton
(flyfast) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma
Re: Tarp Camping Techniques for Inclement Conditions on 10/17/2012 13:51:29 MDT Print View

Great job. Thanks, Ryan.

Maxine Weyant
(Maxine) - MLife
Re: Tarp Camping Techniques for Inclement Conditions on 10/17/2012 14:29:45 MDT Print View

Can anyone comment on their experience with the MSR cyclone stakes? They look like a twisted red-rope licorice. A tad heavier, but look like they'd be even better than some of the stakes reviewed in the past. Not sure how easy they'd be to pound into packed soil, however. I like to carry one or 2 heftier stakes, like the Easton nails, in addition to my ti shepherd hooks. I also use a small snow-stake instead of carrying a potty trowel, dual use whenever possible.

Ian Clark
(chindits) - MLife

Locale: Cntrl ROMO
to stake or not to stake on 10/17/2012 15:25:17 MDT Print View

Excellent read and comments. I never knew there was so much contemplation over what the average 11B calls home in the field. It seems strange that with so many rocks in the area, one doesn't just reinforce your stake points with rocks unless there is a lot of snow. I often set up shelters with out stakes and never use them when I'm in the field with the green machine. Actually getting stakes in the ground where I recreate isn't always possible, but piles of rocks are always close at hand. Of course endless deep sand is problematic too, but I don't frequent those places recreationally.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Tarp Camping Techniques for Inclement Conditions on 10/17/2012 16:41:58 MDT Print View

OK, now where do I find an 8'x 8' cuban fiber tarp with all the attributes listed above?
John,

Without having heard Ryan's thoughts on it, he did mention in his gear list at the end of the Anaconda-Pintler photo essay that his 8x8' tarp is from ZPacks.

I'm definitely thinking about ordering one myself.

Edited by GlacierRambler on 10/17/2012 16:43:50 MDT.

David Pex
(dpex) - MLife

Locale: Pacific NW
Trap Tie-Out points on 10/17/2012 17:08:33 MDT Print View

Perhaps a silly question, but:

What is the best way of establishing a mid-tarp tie-out point, that is, a point that is not a grommet hole on the edge of the tarp?

Thanks,

Dave

Diego Zurek
(Diegozurek)

Locale: Bucaramanga
.....for Inclement Conditions on 10/17/2012 17:10:32 MDT Print View

I had thought from the beginning; due to the giving expectation of the title, that the article, itself was going to show a more tautness and toughness point of view about strenght and forces distribution on a Tarp in the process of an inclement site condition.

David Pex
(dpex) - MLife

Locale: Pacific NW
Locating cuben fiber tarp on 10/17/2012 17:11:23 MDT Print View

Z-Packs will make any size cuben tarp you desire:

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/tarps.shtml

Dave

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: .....for Inclement Conditions on 10/17/2012 17:19:21 MDT Print View

"I had thought from the beginning; due to the giving expectation of the title, that the article, itself was going to show a more tautness and toughness point of view about strenght and forces distribution on a Tarp in the process of an inclement site condition."

Yeah - no, it was just a re-hash of a 9 year old article. Fun to watch people get excited about it, however.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: .....for Inclement Conditions on 10/17/2012 17:31:11 MDT Print View

Please feel free to write a similar article yourself, if you think you can do it better.

I'm sure almost all of us would appreciate your perspective on the subject.

James Sutton
(trailmaster109) - M
Great Article on 10/17/2012 17:34:43 MDT Print View

I've been exclsuively a tarp camper for years, and there are some good ideas here. I will definitely be adding stakes to my pack, and I love the corner-loop idea - simple but a great idea. I also appreciate the scientific aspect you offer.

rogerio brito
(kafer4life) - MLife

Locale: North Country
Loving the tarp on 10/17/2012 18:12:11 MDT Print View

Thank you for an awesome article. I am a hammock guy, so my tarp setups are a little different, but Definately enjoy the added sights and sounds of the adventures from under a tarp. This was a great read and brought back a lot of great memories of my scout days under the blue tarp in eastern Washington. Thanks

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Great Rewrite on 10/17/2012 18:19:20 MDT Print View

I read the first version of this article as part of the book "Lightweight Hiking and Camp" and the lessons from it served me well for the past 4 years camping under a poncho tarp and then a variety of (mostly small) tarps. I like the square tarp idea and might give it a try sometime.
One thing I like about Ryan Jordan's articles is he seems to wear out a lot of gear. Its nice getting his insights on how things fail over time so I can make better choices about gear that will hopefully be a good long term investment.

Doug Hus
(Doug.H) - M

Locale: Ontario. Canada
cuben fiber weight on 10/17/2012 18:29:50 MDT Print View

What would be a good cuben fiber (material) weight for a 8x8 tarp?

I have seen a variety of weights out there and would be curious to hear what a solid material weight would be.

.50 / .75?

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Tarp Camping Techniques for Inclement Conditions on 10/17/2012 18:39:26 MDT Print View

Locus gear do some sil tarps with lots of tie outs.

http://locusgear.com/products/tarp/tarp-x-duo

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Tarp Camping Techniques for Inclement Conditions on 10/17/2012 19:01:30 MDT Print View

Somehow this is eerily similar to what Ray Jardin was saying all along... Even the techniques are similar.

I'm getting confused about what exactly the "best" type of shelter is... first tarps, then pyramids, now tarps again. I guess, like with all the UL techniques, it all depends.

Locus Gear makes almost jewel-like, superbly crafted shelters, with beautiful, very well thought-out and implemented practical detailing. Jotaro Yoshida is a perfectionist.

Brian Camprini
(bcamprini) - MLife

Locale: Southern Appalachians
Great guyline idea on 10/17/2012 19:37:56 MDT Print View

Earlier this year someone showed me a great way of pegging guylines. It's so simple that it can be done with one hand even with gloves (with some practice) and it has the added benefit of cleaning off your stakes and keeping hands clean when you break camp, especially when the stakes are the round type instead of V's or Y's.

No loops in the line or extra hardware needed--just a straight line coming off of the tarp. You can use linelocs if you like, though, but it's not necessary. Just tie a marlin spike hitch and use the stake as the "marlin spike". Super simple--go to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlinespike_hitch

or the video below. This knot is commonly used to hang hammocks from tree straps using toggles (Shug Emery has a fantastic, funny video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

Go to 3:57 if you are impatient. Shug was a Barnum and Bailey clown and his videos are fantastic. Just substitute a stake for the toggle he uses in the video and ignore the stuff about attaching a hammock. When you pull the stake out, it comes untied.

I've never had one of these slip even in pretty serious winds and using thin dyneema line.

Ron D
(dillonr) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: Tarp Camping Techniques for Inclement Conditions on 10/17/2012 20:31:58 MDT Print View

Great article, I've been moving towards using a tarp more frequently but have had some real concerns with it above timberline. The article definitely helped with understanding some of the dynamics involved in making a secure pitch in an exposed area. I also went back and read the article from 9 years ago and it was also excellent but the new one expanded on it and covered a lot of new territory.
Thanks....Ron

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: .....for Inclement Conditions on 10/17/2012 20:53:38 MDT Print View

"Please feel free to write a similar article yourself, if you think you can do it better.

I'm sure almost all of us would appreciate your perspective on the subject."

I don't have to...I can read the 9 year old article.

Joseph Reeves
(Umnak)

Locale: Southeast Alaska
tarp weather on 10/18/2012 00:24:01 MDT Print View

We spend a lot of nights in the rain and under the tarp. Cold rain, often accompanied with a stiff breeze. The flying wedge is a bomb proof pitch. Shown here at the entrance to Chatham Strait off of Peril Strait in Southeast Alaska this past June. It rained for days.

Tarp Camps: 3 of 3

and from the front

Tarp Camps: 2 of 3

William Goodrich
(BoulderBill) - F - M

Locale: Where the plains hit the peaks
Retailers? on 10/18/2012 10:05:00 MDT Print View

Can someone reply with a decent list of recommended retailers for quality tarps? I'm not sure I'm ready to spend the money on a Cuben Fiber tarp, but would like to see options out there for silnylon, etc. An internet search comes back with a smattering of REI and Campmor results; I'm sure there are better options out there.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some links!

Cheers,
Bill