Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum Tent Review
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
I'm a fan of apples on 10/19/2012 16:35:46 MDT Print View

"Currently my wife and I are using a TarpTent StratoSpire2. It's 40.3 oz all in (tent, guylines, stakes, sack), whereas this UL2 Platinum is 30.4oz presumably plus 8+ stakes, guylines, sack etc, so likely 34-35oz apples to apples."

Tough to compare apples to apples since one uses trek poles & the other Al poles, but I get your overall point.

Ryan

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
re: on 10/19/2012 19:36:23 MDT Print View

Hi Warren,

"That's why I have the FCUL3. This is what a two-person tent should be like."

And that is what 2P tents used to be like before people like me and you wanted lighter weights...

I have long used a 2P tent as a solo and have no problem with that. But I am big enough to need the extra room and don't like being cramped anyway. I would use the FC 2 Platinum as a solo and be happy with it.

Tents are sold these days with the minimum stakes needed to set them up. (Although I am pretty sure BA does send extras.) In a perfect setting that will be fine. In a perfect setting you won't see the fly touch the inner. When things aren't perfect you need more stakes. Use them. I (like Ryan J) carry a stake kit with 12 stakes, in my case 8 MSR Carbon Cores and 4 Ti hook stakes. When conditions warrant it I pull out the extras.

As far as the complaints about the extra space between the inner and the fly, think about what the change would do to the structure (in the case of changing the pole configuration) or the shape of the inner (just yanking it up to the spine pole would actually lose you interior space). Ask Roger, tent design is complicated.

Edited by rayestrella on 10/19/2012 21:46:27 MDT.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Where are the BPL weights? on 10/19/2012 19:46:21 MDT Print View

By the way, where are the "BPL weights"?

I thought we always listed actual weights. What is the actual total weight as packed?

As the tent may be set up with only a footprint and fly it is nice to know the weights of the individual pieces too. Knowing pole weights allows readers to know what they would save if they opt for aftermarket CF poles. Those are things that can't be found at the manufacturer's website, and are of value to us.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Where are the BPL weights? on 10/20/2012 05:50:22 MDT Print View

Agreed. The same goes if seemingly stronger and heavier poles are to be used. I'd want to know how much weight I'm adding. A lighter footprint may be made as well.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
PRICE!!! on 10/20/2012 20:15:18 MDT Print View

Brad,
When you stated that the new version was a $130 upcharge from the base price, why didn't you mention that the base price was...

Fly Creek UL2 = $369.95
WWWOOOWWWW!!!

That seems like a big oversight in the review. The actual price of this Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platnum tent is $499.95. Holy smokes!!! How do you justify that???

Can someone explain that to me?

Edited by TomClark on 10/20/2012 20:16:09 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: PRICE!!! on 10/20/2012 21:54:38 MDT Print View

Daryl, it is a,steal compared to this:

http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-559-mojo-ufo.aspx

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

poles on 10/22/2012 10:29:51 MDT Print View

“The poles are somewhat larger in diameter than one might expect, with joints that seem plenty stout. It’s a light set of poles, I’m not sure if there is any other difference from a standard Fly Creek 2 poleset.”

You could weigh them and tell. The standard Fly Creek’s 9 mm DAC poles weigh 10.2 oz (289 g)

John Ancelet
(jancelet)
Re: Even still Lighter...... on 10/31/2012 20:21:57 MDT Print View

What was the cost to have carbon fiber tent poles made for this tent and how long did that take?

Edited by jancelet on 10/31/2012 20:39:11 MDT.

Adam Klagsbrun
(klags) - MLife

Locale: Northeast US
looks different than the first UL2... on 11/05/2012 14:22:33 MST Print View

Looking at the photo of the tent without the fly, it appears that this tent is a bit shorter than the original UL2 version in the orangy tan color. Mine doesn't have such a crazy high arc like that, it seems to be shorter and so the arc is higher. I have more room inside my tent top to bottom between the thermarest and the edge of the tent. It does look like maybe there is a wider floor in this newer version too. I wonder if they ever so slightly tweaked the angles or the seam locations to stretch the inner space and make the tent sit differently without changing much... has anyone set them up next to eachother yet and really looked at it? I wish this review had actually done that.

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Very nice tent on 11/29/2012 11:27:55 MST Print View

I just bought this tent and it is quite an amazing little thing. Very impressive how BA was able to bring down the weight by tweaking the design. I have the Fly Creek UL3 for when I hike with a partner and bought this for solo hiking but it will easily fit me and my wife or me and one of my younger kids no problem. Two adult men would be a problem unless you're quite 'friendly' with each other. I also bought it for $375 online since I couldn't justify the normal $500 price tag. I couldn't really justify the sale price either but then again I wouldn't have half of my gear if I had to rationalize my purchases!