Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Camping and digestive issues...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
Camping and digestive issues... on 10/15/2012 12:41:39 MDT Print View

So I'm trying to get ready for my son and my next step - backpacking instead of car camping - and have been pushing our gear down and paring with a mind toward having to eventually carry it on your back (contrast to our first car camping trip where we had everything but the kitchen sink - full size air mattress, 4 person tent for 2 people, etc...). One thing has been food. Nothing exotic but trying out some different things that are light and easy to cook (oatmeal, which we eat all the time, plus noodles, some different bars, etc...).

The last two times I've had fairly signficant indigestion - basically gas and cramping - during and shortly after out campouts. I can't figure out what the cause is other than just a change in diet. I'm meticulous about sanitation - and my son has not had any problems... only me. I've been thinking maybe I need to go back on my kefir ... I have been monitoring my diet even more closely than usual during my day to day life - eat a pretty consistent diet of whole foods and lean proteins other than clif bars. So perhaps it is adding in more processed foods? The issue with what I normally eat, lots of eggs, chicken, etc... along with fruit and veggies seem difficult to pack due to weight, etc...

Does anyone else struggle with this issue or have any suggestions?

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Yeah! on 10/15/2012 12:50:41 MDT Print View

Having gas when hiking with your son is the ultimate! We laugh trying to out-do each other--until one of us says, 'That wasn't a fart...' Hey, don't fight it, enjoy it!

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Camping and digestive issues... on 10/15/2012 13:07:44 MDT Print View

"...some different bars..."

Cliff Bars are soy based and are instant gas generators for me.
PowerBar's Harvest are oat based and I do fine.

Take a look at the details and adjust accordingly.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Mountains and gas on 10/15/2012 13:44:18 MDT Print View

If you're living near sea level, and camping'hiking in the mountains, you will generally have more intestinal gas than normal. Air pressure is lower at higher altitudes, so whatever gas your GI tract produces will fill a larger volume at altitude.

As well, high fiber foods will also generate a lot of gas - e.g., oatmeal, some power-type bars, etc. Eating more fiber than normally while in the mountains can be downright explosive!!!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Mountains and gas on 10/15/2012 15:04:02 MDT Print View

Yep and add in dehydration will do a number on the gut tract.
Also, dehydrated foods can cause issues in some people. It isn't uncommon to say the least.

Ben H.
(bzhayes) - F

Locale: So. California
Re: Camping and digestive issues... on 10/16/2012 14:37:38 MDT Print View

It sounds like a change in diet issue. Acidophilus is a pill you can buy that is just the live and active cultures from yogurt. It helps keep you regular though it is usually recommended for constipation. You might want look into seeing how it would work for you. As mentioned above, dehydration is another issue you might have.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
Re Camping and digestive issues... on 10/17/2012 12:17:57 MDT Print View

I have this issue if I'm eating freeze dried food, like Mountain House. It causes me all kinds of gastrointestinal distress and plugs me up to boot.