Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
If you're not worried yet, you're not paying attention
Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
If you're not worried yet, you're not paying attention on 10/15/2012 09:06:26 MDT Print View

From an interesting article in NY Times:

"In interviews, however, consultants to both campaigns said they had bought demographic data from companies that study details like voters’ shopping histories, gambling tendencies, interest in get-rich-quick schemes, dating preferences and financial problems. The campaigns themselves, according to campaign employees, have examined voters’ online exchanges and social networks to see what they care about and whom they know. They have also authorized tests to see if, say, a phone call from a distant cousin or a new friend would be more likely to prompt the urge to cast a ballot."

...."The campaigns’ consultants have run experiments to determine if embarrassing someone for not voting by sending letters to their neighbors or posting their voting histories online is effective."

Full story here, it's an illuminating read.

Edited by idester on 10/15/2012 09:08:12 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: If you're not worried yet, you're not paying attention on 10/15/2012 09:18:52 MDT Print View

I sure get a lot of emails and ads asking me to donate money to democratic candidates, no Republicans though

Also ads to buy backpacking gear

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
If you're not worried yet, you're not paying attention" on 10/15/2012 10:18:09 MDT Print View

It look like something out of "Person of interest" TV show. I am a big fan of the show.

I like how Harold Finch said he invented online social networking to work in conjunction with his machine so it could learn about are lives.

Data mining is not new it being done by private companies and our government for years. They use the information for a window in to our lives. The private companies sell it to the companies or individuals who want to buy their information services and the government to spy on you.
Even being a member and posting on this board the data is being mined.

The only way you can be a private person is if you have never had credit card,grocery store club card, car , electric bill, personal mail, phone bill, paid taxes,drivers licenses, been in the military or arrested.

You used cash only if you went to a town to buy supplies and wore big aviator sunglasses and a baseball cap with your head pointing down since the early 1960's of 1970's. The only person I think that have done that are the amish or person living off the grid since then.

I dare you say to Say " Black Briar" ROTHFLOL I watched all 3 movies in the Bourne series yesterday.

Have fun being under the microscope,
Terry

Ps: Google your name you can see all your posting, You will surprised. Google is nothing but a Data mining company.
Google Earth is a satellite snap shot of your house, street view is a snap shot of your house and front of your house's venerability. Google earth can be used by criminals to get a plan to rob your house or skateboarders looking for the perfect backyard pool to skate in.

Edited by socal-nomad on 10/15/2012 10:29:19 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: If you're not worried yet, you're not paying attention" on 10/15/2012 10:23:59 MDT Print View

I dare you to say "cleaning lady"

or "queen of diamonds"

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: If you're not worried yet, you're not paying attention" on 10/15/2012 15:21:52 MDT Print View

The view of my house ain't exactly clear. Helps living in the sticks and in a private community ;-) And no street views either....

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Re: Re: If you're not worried yet, you're not paying attention" on 10/16/2012 07:33:38 MDT Print View

I would totally support published lists of citizens who aren't registered to vote and those who simply haven't voted. That would be AWESOME.

Hey, if it's an issue that they don't know who to vote for and are be two dum to lern it, they can just come to BPL and read the threads in Chaff. For example, in just a few more days the group in the Romney/Obama thread will reach consensus and post the answer on who to vote for.

I asked for that weeks ago and have every reason to believe it's just about all worked out. (Please, no spoilers).

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: If you're not worried yet, you're not paying attention" on 10/16/2012 10:01:53 MDT Print View

Why would you support that? One should be able to vote without fear and that also applies to being able to live without fear if NOT voting.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
Re "If you're not worried yet, you're not paying attention" on 10/16/2012 15:05:59 MDT Print View

Publishing a list of non-voters would also open their votes up to fraudulent use.

Derek Westcott
(drwestco) - F
re: If you're not worried yet, you're not paying attention on 10/17/2012 10:43:52 MDT Print View

Sounds like someone's sarcasm detector is in need of a tune-up.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: If you're not worried yet, you're not paying attention" on 10/17/2012 10:53:56 MDT Print View

"I asked for that weeks ago and have every reason to believe it's just about all worked out. (Please, no spoilers)."

It's true! We assembled a binder of BPLers to work the issue. It's taken a bit longer than anticipated, though, as we had to let some of them go home early to rehydrate dinner.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Re: Re: Re: If you're not worried yet, you're not paying attention" on 10/20/2012 13:42:57 MDT Print View

It doesn't matter which party you vote for, the government always gets in.