Forum Index » GEAR » Surrounded by coyotes need help

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Coyotes on 10/16/2012 08:32:11 MDT Print View

I see them roaming my suburban neighborhood occasionally. I never really think of them as a serious threat to anyone other than my cat.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/16/2012 10:44:19 MDT Print View

What kind of help would you like?
Thanks for the avatar inspiration.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn)

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/16/2012 13:19:33 MDT Print View

"Of course out west, as mentioned, coyotes get shot at so often they tend to run."

We are pretty good with guns in the southeast too!!!

Brad

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/16/2012 13:31:40 MDT Print View

"We are pretty good with guns in the southeast too!!!"

He was worried about coyotes, not mailboxes and traffic signs....... ;-)

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/16/2012 16:54:39 MDT Print View

I was stating a Guesstimate of a average coyote weight never weighed one.

I did have neighbor who lived near our Avocado Grove who had Coy-Dog. He told me the story about how his female German Shepherd dog was gone a few days and came back beat up. Then it was pregnant and the puppies were born half German Shepherd and Coyote, He kept one of the puppies.

The coy-dog was about 3 to 4 inches shorter than the mother but very smart and could run fast. It was cool looking medium sizes dog with short ears and coyote color and markings. I want it for my own.
Terry

Alex Eriksson
(aeriksson) - M

Locale: Austin, TX
Was this legit? on 10/16/2012 18:42:44 MDT Print View

I'm not going to lie: I was pretty sure the original post was a bit of a sham. I'm not calling anyone out, but even at the ripe old age of 33 I'm a long way away from my past days of being so plugged into the internet that my XYZ community friends got asked questions whose answers my life may depend upon. And I was an overweight gamer once! I'm just saying, it seems a little bit like tweeting "OMG Susie just said she's so sad she's going to kill herself and she hasn't moved off her bed on her webcam in 30 minutes! Someone call the authorities....in whatever town she lives in!"

Hehe. Ok ok I'll stop bustin' balls.

Seriously though, was this real? Maybe the coyotes just wanted to get your views on center burn versus jet alcohol stoves and were really excited to shave grams?

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn)

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: Re: Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/16/2012 18:55:59 MDT Print View

He was worried about coyotes, not mailboxes and traffic signs....... ;-)

laughing uncontrollably. That was great

brad

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
update on 10/16/2012 19:17:43 MDT Print View

Just a little followup of my thought process; basically you had to be there to know what I was talking about, one of those things ya know.

They were really close though, and there were more around me further away but still fairly close. Also the coyote I saw right before I pitched camp didnt seem afraid at all of me.

When they started howling and barking it was like holy $%^&, seriously, very loud and close. I've heard them before, but never this many of them so close. I was just in a bivy under a tarp too, It felt like at any moment one could come up and lick my face.

I could of called a friend or two, but I would only get one answer each. I figured asking the audience is more efficient. Thanks for all the advice though fellow BPL'ers. Sometimes its just nice to be able to talk/ communicate to people in scary times like that.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: update on 10/16/2012 19:28:57 MDT Print View

I gotta admit that I initially thought you were trolling us, but I know I get anxious about noises during the night too. Even though I have little reason to fear coyotes, I wouldn't want them near my campsite.

This thread made me further realize how little I actually know about coyotes, so I decided to try to fix that and ordered this.
http://www.amazon.com/Track-Coyote-Northword-Wildlife-Series/dp/1559714719

Anthony Analetto
(Fubar2us) - F

Locale: MidWest USA
RE: on 10/16/2012 19:33:35 MDT Print View

Being from the ND,MN area I would almost worry if I went a night without hearing they Coyotes. Spent some time the the TRNP earlier this year and I got followed for about a mile by one, later I saw why he was following when I stumbled across a Buffalo carcus in the grass. I could hear several of them most of the night and saw one on the ridge not long after sunrise at camp. Also heard them roaming around the lakes in the Chippawa National Forest last week when I was out and about. Fire will keep them at bay and being human will do in general usualy. I have a farmstead you can hear them every night but they will not come up to the house because of the street light that was installed in the yard to keep them out. without it they do get close but I never had problems with them otherwise.

Charles G.
(Rincon) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
Surrounded by coyotes on 10/16/2012 19:41:27 MDT Print View

I live in rural SE Arizona and have numerous coyotes on and near my property. Mostly, they mind their own business, as I mind mine: although they seldom seem disturbed when they see me. I have never had any of them act aggressive towards me; sure, they will watch me and not seem particularly worried about me being there. I am often out, walking my property at night. I worry more about rattlesnakes. I often hear coyotes commenting, both near and far away. I have never had one do anything I found the least bit frightening. One thing I have learned is that when you hear them howling, yipping and otherwise conversing; a few of them sound like a lot of them. Three or four coyotes discussing some issue from three different directions can sound as though there are 25-30 of them really close; they really have a song repertoire. Frankly, I worry more about javelinas in this part of the world: they are not as smart, their eyesight is poor and they are never really sure where you are.

Alex Eriksson
(aeriksson) - M

Javelina on 10/16/2012 20:58:45 MDT Print View

I was about to mention hogs actually. I've been told, as a new resident and outdoors type person who hikes with his dog, to make sure I keep him leashed for his own protection should we encounter javelina in the woods. My boxer, playful yet prey-driven as he is, would DEFINITELY try to first play with, then try to bite, one of them and get a nasty surprise by the sound of things.

More on topic... backpacking with a somewhat sizable dog (75lbs): good or bad for keeping forest mammalia away? I would imagine pretty good at bears, pretty terrible with wolves, decent with coyotes, and dinner for a big cat?

Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
The Coyote by Francois Leydet on 10/16/2012 21:45:28 MDT Print View

The book to read is "The Coyote" by Francois Leydet, published 1977. He interviewed scientists, ranchers, professional coyote hunters, everyone with a connection to coyotes, whether for or against them. His book was definitive for a couple of decades before there was any new information. As such, that is its limitation; it is so very thorough that it doesn't move quickly when you are already familiar with one of the subtopics. Barry Lopez has a similar style.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: update on 10/16/2012 22:06:16 MDT Print View

Michael,

"basically you had to be there to know what I was talking about, one of those things ya know."

I hear you and felt the same a few weeks ago. I too am a dog fearing man.

Daryl

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Surrounded by coyotes needing help? on 10/16/2012 22:08:44 MDT Print View

Is it possible that the coyotes really needed your help for some reason, and that they weren't actually any sort of threat to you at all?

Alex Eriksson
(aeriksson) - M

Occurs to me just now.... on 10/16/2012 22:12:12 MDT Print View

You didn't mean coyotes as in, Coyotes, the gruff looking individuals who move human and narcotics cargo across the border between Mexico and the United States, did you?! Because hey, I've seen some of those guys and if they'd been drinking and getting noisy they'd probably take offense to you totally harshing their life of crime mellow.

;-D

David Affleck
(UtCoyote)
Numbers... on 10/17/2012 07:15:20 MDT Print View

>>One thing I have learned is that when you hear them howling, yipping and otherwise conversing; a few of them sound like a lot of them. Three or four coyotes discussing some issue from three different directions can sound as though there are 25-30 of them really close; they really have a song repertoire.<<

This. I've observed, filmed and sound recorded numerous groups of coyotes doing the group-yip-howl. And been in the field with many other people when hearing a GYH. Almost everyone, even moderately experienced people routinely overestimate by orders of magnitude the number of coyotes they hear participating in a group-yip-howl. It is usually only two or three, but almost everyone thinks it is ten or more. It's likely the OP didn't have any more than three individuals near him.

- Dave

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
heh on 10/17/2012 11:48:36 MDT Print View

Alexander Eriksson, I had the same thoughts exactly, I had to read the thread for a while to convince myself that someone was actually chatting on an iphone for real. Best argument against bringing such devices into nature I've seen to date though.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the OP was camped in their sleeping area, and that they were annoyed. Then, no matter how strongly they urged him to alter his behavior, he kept it up, ignoring their, to them, polite requests to move on and find somewhere else to sleep. I'm sure the area was marked clearly, at least clearly to animals aware of their surroundings, which may have made the OPs behavior even less comprehensible to the Coyotes. I think I'll read that coyote book though, sounds like an interesting world.

I have a few other guesses, probably closer to the truth, but I'll keep those to myself since they aren't really in keeping with bpl ideas or biases. Something about our connection/disconnection from nature on deeper levels, and how that impacts our experiences.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Numbers... on 10/17/2012 16:11:54 MDT Print View

Dave (UtCoyote)...I'm surprised no one has asked, and my curiosity has the better of me. What is it that you do to be weighing, filming, and recording coyotes?

Slo Hiker
(SloHiker) - F

Locale: NC Foothills
Plan B on 10/18/2012 12:53:32 MDT Print View

Just one example I could show to illustrate why you should have a "Plan B" for fending off coyotes with your trekking poles. Contrary to the Bambi paradigm, deer are very capable of inflicting serious injuries when threatened - much more capable than you will be with a flimsy piece of lightweight metal tubing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=guQDH_fPydQ&noredirect=1