Forum Index » GEAR » Surrounded by coyotes need help

Display Avatars Sort By:
michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
update: on 10/15/2012 09:44:11 MDT Print View

I'm alive, thanks for the responses guys. I was definitley concerned because they were so close, and there were so many of them. Never worried about them much before last night. I made a lot of noise when I because worried, I would yell HEYYYYYY, and shine my Petzl Zipka around, seems like they stopped howling around 12:30.

I got pretty tired and fell asleep, to say I slept well would be a long shot, I woke up a lot. I even had a crazy dream that a mountain lion was circling me as I was laying down, I got up and decided to hike back during the night. Me and the lion were playing cat and mouse as I finnally made it to a road and ran infront of a truck with its headlights on. I waved them down and they were laughing at me after I told them my epic story.

I woke up after that dream and thought maybe something was circling me, so I looked around shined my light and yelled a few times. I think after last night (there were a ton of coyotes)I realized that if I didnt get aproached or attacked, I probably never will and won't worry about them from here on out.

Woke up before sunrise and made some coffee with my Esbit setup (check it out in MYOG) and decided to take a longer way back for a good exercise.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

update on 10/15/2012 09:51:02 MDT Print View

Camera died about 11, actually I turned it off when I had %5 left, and in the morning it wouldnt turn back on. Snapped these earlier, nothing special.coyote

michael levi
(M.L) - F

update on 10/15/2012 09:54:11 MDT Print View

rescoyote

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
Re: update on 10/15/2012 09:54:31 MDT Print View

Was starting to think we should have gotten your GPS coordinates so we could tell the Search and Rescue team where to look!

michael levi
(M.L) - F

re: update on 10/15/2012 10:10:00 MDT Print View

Thanks!

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
fuffy on 10/15/2012 11:10:54 MDT Print View

coyotes are fluffy puppies anyways that just want a scratch behind the ear ... no doubt once they come up to you and realize youre a BPLer who didnt carry bear spray because the extra few ozs will break yr XUL target, theyll roll over and leave ya alone ;)

solution ... carry some spray next time or some other means of protection ... despite what anyone here says its yr life

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 11:22:09 MDT Print View

Michael,

The coyotes I heard a couple of weeks ago sounded like the Coyote 1 recording at this site:

here

Did yours sound similar?

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 11:29:59 MDT Print View

Michael,
Where were you camping? I see a housing development below and a large lake in the background.
The second photos show a water treatment plant and freeway. It look like your only 2 to 3 miles at the most from civilization. You could have just packed up walked back down with your head lamp if your were that scared and went back home.
Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 10/15/2012 11:34:12 MDT.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 12:46:02 MDT Print View

I'd never thought of coyotes as being a threat to adult humans, until I read the article in 2009 about the young Canadian woman who was attacked by a couple of coyotes and died as a result. And then a year or so ago, my aunt (who lives in Sonoma County (CA) out in the country on a ranch), said a friend/neighbor of hers was followed by a pack of coyotes as she was walking back to her house from the river around dusk. The woman was definitely creeped out, and they followed her most of the way back home. I would not have wanted to be in that situation.

I'd tend to think (as I'm sitting safely in my house) that a pack that's howling is not hunting and therefore not much of a threat, but who knows? if I were out there like you I'm sure I'd have been nervous too. Probably best to carry some bear spray from now on if you are truly concerned.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 12:53:57 MDT Print View

Just treat the coyotes like any other mean dogs.

Carry a water pistol full of ammonia. Shoot them in the face if they get too close.

It won't permanently hurt the coyote other than to teach it not to get so close to humans. It may temporarily blind the animal.

--B.G.--

David Affleck
(UtCoyote)
You were in more danger from meteorites.. on 10/15/2012 18:23:08 MDT Print View

You had more chance of being killed by a metiorite than being hurt by those coyotes...

I'd be far, far, FAR more concerned with a single mean spirited golden lab than the most ferocious sounding, loudest, closest, hungriest, wildest pack of coyotes I've ever had in my camp at night. Indeed, I have some coyote vocalizations I do with my voice that I use to try and aggravate the local alphas to encourage them to come visit and raise hell around my tent at night. I love hearing them get all worked up like that.

Count yourself lucky for the experience and don't concern yourself with them at all in the future.

- Dave

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 19:17:22 MDT Print View

More of a chance getting attacked by a domestic dog than the Coyotes. I also love to hear them, although on one bp trip to the Sierra, one was carrying on a short distance from my tent that I shared with my dog. Yelling did not help scaring it off so I could sleep in, finally had to go outside and heave a couple rocks. Coyotes are known to jump high fences and make off with domestic dogs, so keep them close. Funny, you go out in nature and you are more than concerned about your safety. Welcome to the great out of doors, no guarantee of your safety.
Duane

Corbin McFarlane
(raven15) - MLife
Never in danger... on 10/15/2012 19:34:51 MDT Print View

I have to agree with those who say you were in no danger. I recognize the area where the photo was taken, and can tell you it is almost certain no coyote will attack you within a 500 mile radius of the place (I've never even heard of a coyote attacking a dog, but this is a very redneck town). Thank rednecks and hunters, who have virtually free reign to shoot any coyote at any time for no reason anywhere so long as it does not jeopardize human life or property. In fact most hunters and ranchers, who are far more numerous than BPL'ers, recommend shooting coyotes at every opportunity, and routinely go hunting specifically for them. I saw a coyote today at work, he was running away so fast at first I thought he was an antelope. Even if you aren't carrying a gun, a smart coyote assumes that you are.

So in summary, in the western US, excluding a few yuppie pockets, coyotes will avoid you by a good margin, and hide quickly if they see you. I don't believe there are any sufficiently yuppy pockets in your area.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 19:35:14 MDT Print View

I bet them coyotes will run away yelping if they saw you dancing Gangnam style.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 19:42:55 MDT Print View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LgPNK0EPtE

Too bad you weren't streaming video...

Dustin Judd
(ddujnitsud) - F
Not a big deal. on 10/15/2012 19:58:16 MDT Print View

Michael you should stay out of the woods until you get some friends to hike with or get a better understanding of your surroundings, including the natural neighbors. I regularly have "dogs" whenever I camp here just a few hours south of you as well as in my yard keeping the cat populous in check. They do make quite a bit of racket but it is really just them talking back and forth, it's when they get real quiet that you know dinner is just about to be served. I have come face to face with several of them while out and about and the last thing they want is to do is dink around with you. If you want some insight on these little beasts just PM me and I'll let you know all about them.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Not a big deal. on 10/15/2012 20:17:49 MDT Print View

"I have come face to face with several of them while out and about and the last thing they want is to do is dink around with you."

+1 From a very up close and personal experience up in the Kern.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 21:29:06 MDT Print View

I'd be more afraid of northeastern coyotes. Apparently genetic testing shows they're starting to have a pretty good percentage of wolf DNA, which some scientists think accounts for their increasing aggression. Of course out west, as mentioned, coyotes get shot at so often they tend to run. Except for the ones wandering thru my neighborhood, looking for cat snacks.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/16/2012 03:32:00 MDT Print View

> More of a chance getting attacked by a domestic dog than the Coyotes.
Absolutely!

Cheers

David Affleck
(UtCoyote)
Coyote size... on 10/16/2012 08:05:59 MDT Print View

Just noticed this and wanted to clarify

"...Plus coyotes are small canine that weigh between 40 to 60 pounds..."

I've actually weighed several hundred coyotes. A 40 pound coyote in the west or southwest is a BIG coyote. The largest I have ever personally weighed, out of hundreds, was 44 pounds and have weighed only a handful of others over 40 pounds.

The average adult western coyote is closer to 22 - 24 pounds. After weighing hundreds and observing closely over a thousand coyotes, I consider anything over 25 pounds a big coyote. 30 pounds a very big one. 40 pounds a real bruiser. Around here, anyway. They run even smaller in Southern Utah and Arizona.

Those NE brutes do tip the scales north of 50 lbs pretty often though. Quite a different beast than their western cousins, really.

- Dave