Forum Index » GEAR » Surrounded by coyotes need help

Display Avatars Sort By:
michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/14/2012 20:58:21 MDT Print View

On a whim at about 6 I decided to do a quick run/ hike right by my house. Basically I drove about 5 minutes to a dead end and hiked about 2-3 miles before the sun went down at 7:40.

I can see the city lights and freeway under my tarp, I am posting this from my iPhone. I am glad I decided to stop ontop of this large hill, because I can hear coyotes just below the hill in the dried stream I crossed to get up here.

On my way here I saw one hide behind a tree and I just kept walking. Basically every 5-10 minutes they start howling and barking. There are what sounds like more in 2 different direction further away that communicate with each other.

They started making noise as soon as the sun went down, and I'm not sure if they are getting closer. This is really annoying. What is my plan? I already blew a whistle and yelled but I don't like being alone...

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Ugh on 10/14/2012 21:02:06 MDT Print View

I can hear about 4-5+ right below me starting to get worried, it was nice knowing you guys....

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Surrounded by coyotes on 10/14/2012 21:07:09 MDT Print View

Can you start a fire, sometimes this will keep them at bay. I hiked before were I've heard coyotes in the distance, but they've never bothered me at night. I think a fire would help tough.

Jack

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
fight them on 10/14/2012 21:07:57 MDT Print View

Coyotes are like dogs so if they do attack fight. Kick then in the face and use your treking poles to keep them at a distance. Likely their issue is more territorial than thinking yyou as prey.

Dont run from them as then you become prey. Being able to post here while backpacking is a great reason to leave the phone at home

Thayne N
(teethless) - MLife

Locale: SF CA
oooooohh on 10/14/2012 21:09:42 MDT Print View

If you're like the average BPL'er get out that SAK classic and get ready to go to war!

Find a stick, it will give you piece of mind while the coyote's go do their thing elsewhere.

Chad Anderson
(kiddzoso)

Locale: N. California
Re: Coyotes on 10/14/2012 21:12:10 MDT Print View

Coyotes typically make a ton of noise around sundown. I've had them come close to my tent on numerous occasions and make an awful racket. However, they've never done anything. I think it's fairly typical for them to be reasonably close to your campsite, but attacks are extremely rare.

Corbin McFarlane
(raven15) - MLife
Throw rocks, no cause for alarm on 10/14/2012 21:12:20 MDT Print View

You'll almost certainly be OK, just walk and don't act afraid. In a place like Utah people probably shoot them all the time, so they should keep their distance and mostly out of sight. Their behavior is not about you. But, if they get close, throw rocks and things.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Walk back to the car on 10/14/2012 21:13:15 MDT Print View

Grab your stick (see previous poster), and walk slowly back to the car. SLOWLY! Turn occasionally to keep an eye on them, don't let them sneak up behind you. Turn your headlamp/flashlight on and use it. If they attack, attack back! Whack 'em bloody with the stick and your SAK Classic!

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
coyotes on 10/14/2012 21:16:29 MDT Print View

I'd think you would be contacting someone other than gear geeks in the vortex if you were in some serious trouble. Liam Neeson would know what to do... do you have some sharp sticks and some spare shot gun shells?

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re on 10/14/2012 21:18:04 MDT Print View

I have a little 2 inch fixed blade and a headlamp and whistle on my pack. I have one stick but its holding my tarp up not sure if I should use that. I'm laying down in my bag because its cold... Not sure if I should get out now.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Eh on 10/14/2012 21:20:37 MDT Print View

I'm not sure if ibshod leave or wait it out. I researched it online and I read they hunt at night so idk.

Thom Power
(thomasp) - F
coyotes on 10/14/2012 21:21:07 MDT Print View

i went through this last week. keep your trekking poles handy and if they get too close a rock can do the trick. i ended up making a five hour trek at midnight to the nearest highway and eventually hitched a ride back to the city. the ride turned out to be scarier then the coyotes. one of those out of the pan into the fire scenarios. that night the coyotes were coming right up to my tent but that had never happened before and more than likely won't happen again. hopefully they will move on in a bit. how are you holding up?

if you decide to leave walk calmly. do not run.

Edited by thomasp on 10/14/2012 21:29:32 MDT.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/14/2012 21:21:54 MDT Print View

Move into the city. The rest of the world we share with all its other creatures.
In the meantime, if they come anywhere in the vicinity of your home, never keep a pet chained outside where they can get at it. I wouldn't let pets run free either, but at least that way, they have a chance.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re on 10/14/2012 21:26:40 MDT Print View

Leave or stay? It's a good 2 miles back into a neighborhood wtd

Chad Anderson
(kiddzoso)

Locale: N. California
Plans on 10/14/2012 21:26:42 MDT Print View

Were you planning on spending the night? I wouldn't change my plans because the Coyotes are hanging around. They're just doing what Coyotes do. They can be a real pain for sleeping, but typically they don't keep it up the whole night. Around here, I've found that they usually make the most noise earlier in the night and then again before sunrise.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/14/2012 21:34:55 MDT Print View

Strap raw meat to your body, coyotes hate the smell of death.

Unfortunately this will immediately attract the attention of any Lady Gagas within a 100 mile radius, and those WILL attack you with debilitating howls, fangs, and claws first chance they get.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

rock on 10/14/2012 21:36:50 MDT Print View

I can't imagine coyotes hanging around if you tagged one with a good sized rock. Just act aggressive, pretend you're a drunk frat boy at a party. Raaawwwwr!

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re on 10/14/2012 21:38:17 MDT Print View

Yeah I was planning on spending the night but I'm not sure ill get much sleep. They might be walking around me I hear 1 or 2 in a slightly diff spot

Charles P
(mediauras) - F

Locale: Terra
Re: Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/14/2012 21:42:23 MDT Print View

You should drink all your whisky in one huge chug, and then get out of your tarp, say, "I'm sick of these motherf$%ckin coyotes on this motherf^%ckin' hill." and unleash a 20 minute long obscenity-laden tirade at the coyotes, hurling rocks and sticks the whole time. Then, exhausted, go to sleep. They'll realize you're not fit for eating.

But really, coyotes aren't normally a bother.They yap, sound demented, but prefer to eat rabbits and bugs.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

look at it differently on 10/14/2012 21:42:55 MDT Print View

Try to look at it differently. The rest of us are bored at home and you get to hang out with nocturnal predators in the woods. I'm jealous.

Corbin McFarlane
(raven15) - MLife
imitate gun shot on 10/14/2012 21:44:08 MDT Print View

If you have a leather belt or similar you can fold it in half the long way, then push it so the center forms a misshaped circle while keeping a grip on each of the ends (one hand at the two ends and one at the former center). Then pull the "new" ends violently, so that the center of the circle comes violently together, in a decent imitation of a .22 shot. Might work.

But I reckon you'll be OK.

Actually I think Charles P has the best solution.

Edited by raven15 on 10/14/2012 21:56:39 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re on 10/14/2012 21:48:06 MDT Print View

It's pretty windy 5-10 with gusts not sure if I should try for a fire, I'm in a really exposed grassy area basically. And fires are banned here.

Bud Chapman
(budman5) - M

Locale: Alaska
shake quiver and lose your bladder on 10/14/2012 21:49:59 MDT Print View

You go to the woods to experience nature...so enjoy this, it won't happen again..

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Don't worry about it on 10/14/2012 22:02:47 MDT Print View

I hope you're asleep by now but if not don't worry about it. Coyotes have never bothered a sleeping camper to my knowledge (yes I have read about coyote attacks, basically they involve toddlers in the daytime that look like prey you don't fit the bill). Its just part of the woods, don't worry about it (but maybe bring ear plugs next time.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re on 10/14/2012 22:05:32 MDT Print View

Leaning towards staying, if I leave I will be walking right past them basicAlly. Phone at %16

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re on 10/14/2012 22:10:49 MDT Print View

It's weird because I have never seen them in this area with all the running I've seldom done, but I've never been to this exact spot. I feel like I'm right above their den.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re re on 10/14/2012 22:13:06 MDT Print View

Stay, if they wanted to get you (hint they probably don't) they'd get you just as easily hiking out. I'm no expert but a bunch of coyotes yapping around does not sound like hunting behavior anyway. Stay were you are, if one comes close go after it aggressively with a light on and flapping a jacket to look bigger. My guess is you won't ever see them though.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/14/2012 22:25:14 MDT Print View

Had a pack of coyotes catch and eat a turkey just out of sight of my camp a few years ago. They howled and paced around all night long staying close by but only making a rucus until about 3am or so. Couldn't sleep because of the noise, but coyotes did not come into the camp area/firelight. If you feel the need to "do something", throw rocks, it might convince them to leave.

John Ebner
(JEbner) - M

Locale: Big Thicket
re on 10/14/2012 22:26:18 MDT Print View

This situation just begs for a video. Since you have your phone, do a video with a close up of your face and you talking to the camera with coyotes howling in the background. You know, "Blair Witch" style. It'll keep you occupied if nothing else.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re on 10/14/2012 22:58:58 MDT Print View

Heard them catch something they sounded relentless. Inns be hard to sleep with this paranoia. Phone getting low

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Gear: ? on 10/14/2012 23:34:52 MDT Print View

So you posted this in a gear section. I think this is a joke, coyotes got you scared? I remember my first camping trip... They maybe tracking a Samsqanch. Walk back to the car/home in 40 minutes and go to bed. Really?

Edited by KalebC on 10/14/2012 23:43:31 MDT.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
coyotes on 10/14/2012 23:35:45 MDT Print View

Do you have the app that makes cat "Meow" sounds?

If so, whatever you do, dont play it!

Will S
(Shadows23)

Locale: the mountains
"Surrounded by coyotes need help" on 10/15/2012 04:35:20 MDT Print View

Like others who've posted, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I welcome the sound of a coyotes howl and consider it a gift when I'm in the woods. Try to embrace the fact that you're among these animals, because going into the wilderness would be terribly bland without these experiences.

Scott S
(sschloss1) - F

Locale: New England
Lighten up on 10/15/2012 05:42:38 MDT Print View

I agree with the others who say to not worry about it. There are about 3 coyote attacks per year in the US and Canada. 1/3 of those are due to people approaching or attempting to feed the animals. Given how many coyotes are out there, your odds of being attacked are near zero.

And, on a more general note, if you're afraid of coyotes, you should probably just sleep indoors. Personally, I love the sound of coyote howls, and if I heard a bunch nearby, I would fall alseep with a smile on my face, happy to know that local predator populations are healthy.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Re: Lighten up on 10/15/2012 06:57:38 MDT Print View

I too love to hear them, but do worry a little when camping with my dog (for her safety, not mine). Fortunately she seems to have the good sense to be afraid of them, at least I think her shaking is fear and not excitement. Her shaking does keeps me awake until the coyotes quiet down some and she settles a bit, that usually doesn't take too long though. At least that has been my limited experience with them.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Lighten up on 10/15/2012 07:28:11 MDT Print View

Get out your camera

Hopefully you're not eaten, or our levity would be in bad taste

I would be fearful in your case also, even though you're in little risk, easy for us to say

I've heard Coyotes once when I was sleeping, but they weren't real close

I often put a nice stick next to me when I'm sleeping for just such a case.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Oh crap! on 10/15/2012 08:51:45 MDT Print View

You're a goner, for sure.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
coyotes on 10/15/2012 08:57:21 MDT Print View

Where I live, I have coyotes on my back acreage every single night. I hear them howling in my back yard, sometimes not more than 50 yards from my house.
Plenty of them.

They killed my Doberman. I know other people who have lost their pets to coyote attacks. Lots of farm livestock attacks around here too.

I don't think they'd attack you in a camp, but you never really know with coyotes. I didn't think they'd attack a 105 pound Doberman in my yard, either.

I just shoot them when I see them.

Edited by towaly on 10/15/2012 09:37:28 MDT.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 09:40:28 MDT Print View

Similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago in Washington State.

They would howel and bark for awhile then I wouldn't hear from them for a while. They did this a half dozen times during the night. Sometimes they would be closer and sometimes farther off.

They didn't come close to my tent or bother me but kit kept me on edge. I had my bear spray at the ready and a big stick.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Chill out that dance of the coyotes on 10/15/2012 09:42:57 MDT Print View

Michael,
The dance of the coyotes my family dog a male spring spaniel who loved to fight other male dogs and win fight with even rottweilers . Would take off for a couple of weeks to dance with coyotes. I guess to fight them and mate with them. He would come back pretty beat up after his fun but he did it a couple times a year.
I have come across and seen quite a few coyotes in my years working in our avocado grove and hiking.
Coyotes are more afraid of humans and hide or take off in my experience. Plus coyotes are small canine that weigh between 40 to 60 pounds. If attacked a good kick in the chest or fist in the head will take care of them because they find out your the alpha dog and run for their life . If that does not work a finger in the eye will also work.

Most of the attacks are in Southern California urban areas because of the over building encroachment on their natural habitat and they are searching for food. Because we took away their natural food supply.
Terry

michael levi
(M.L) - F

update: on 10/15/2012 09:44:11 MDT Print View

I'm alive, thanks for the responses guys. I was definitley concerned because they were so close, and there were so many of them. Never worried about them much before last night. I made a lot of noise when I because worried, I would yell HEYYYYYY, and shine my Petzl Zipka around, seems like they stopped howling around 12:30.

I got pretty tired and fell asleep, to say I slept well would be a long shot, I woke up a lot. I even had a crazy dream that a mountain lion was circling me as I was laying down, I got up and decided to hike back during the night. Me and the lion were playing cat and mouse as I finnally made it to a road and ran infront of a truck with its headlights on. I waved them down and they were laughing at me after I told them my epic story.

I woke up after that dream and thought maybe something was circling me, so I looked around shined my light and yelled a few times. I think after last night (there were a ton of coyotes)I realized that if I didnt get aproached or attacked, I probably never will and won't worry about them from here on out.

Woke up before sunrise and made some coffee with my Esbit setup (check it out in MYOG) and decided to take a longer way back for a good exercise.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

update on 10/15/2012 09:51:02 MDT Print View

Camera died about 11, actually I turned it off when I had %5 left, and in the morning it wouldnt turn back on. Snapped these earlier, nothing special.coyote

michael levi
(M.L) - F

update on 10/15/2012 09:54:11 MDT Print View

rescoyote

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: update on 10/15/2012 09:54:31 MDT Print View

Was starting to think we should have gotten your GPS coordinates so we could tell the Search and Rescue team where to look!

michael levi
(M.L) - F

re: update on 10/15/2012 10:10:00 MDT Print View

Thanks!

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
fuffy on 10/15/2012 11:10:54 MDT Print View

coyotes are fluffy puppies anyways that just want a scratch behind the ear ... no doubt once they come up to you and realize youre a BPLer who didnt carry bear spray because the extra few ozs will break yr XUL target, theyll roll over and leave ya alone ;)

solution ... carry some spray next time or some other means of protection ... despite what anyone here says its yr life

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 11:22:09 MDT Print View

Michael,

The coyotes I heard a couple of weeks ago sounded like the Coyote 1 recording at this site:

here

Did yours sound similar?

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 11:29:59 MDT Print View

Michael,
Where were you camping? I see a housing development below and a large lake in the background.
The second photos show a water treatment plant and freeway. It look like your only 2 to 3 miles at the most from civilization. You could have just packed up walked back down with your head lamp if your were that scared and went back home.
Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 10/15/2012 11:34:12 MDT.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 12:46:02 MDT Print View

I'd never thought of coyotes as being a threat to adult humans, until I read the article in 2009 about the young Canadian woman who was attacked by a couple of coyotes and died as a result. And then a year or so ago, my aunt (who lives in Sonoma County (CA) out in the country on a ranch), said a friend/neighbor of hers was followed by a pack of coyotes as she was walking back to her house from the river around dusk. The woman was definitely creeped out, and they followed her most of the way back home. I would not have wanted to be in that situation.

I'd tend to think (as I'm sitting safely in my house) that a pack that's howling is not hunting and therefore not much of a threat, but who knows? if I were out there like you I'm sure I'd have been nervous too. Probably best to carry some bear spray from now on if you are truly concerned.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 12:53:57 MDT Print View

Just treat the coyotes like any other mean dogs.

Carry a water pistol full of ammonia. Shoot them in the face if they get too close.

It won't permanently hurt the coyote other than to teach it not to get so close to humans. It may temporarily blind the animal.

--B.G.--

David Affleck
(UtCoyote)
You were in more danger from meteorites.. on 10/15/2012 18:23:08 MDT Print View

You had more chance of being killed by a metiorite than being hurt by those coyotes...

I'd be far, far, FAR more concerned with a single mean spirited golden lab than the most ferocious sounding, loudest, closest, hungriest, wildest pack of coyotes I've ever had in my camp at night. Indeed, I have some coyote vocalizations I do with my voice that I use to try and aggravate the local alphas to encourage them to come visit and raise hell around my tent at night. I love hearing them get all worked up like that.

Count yourself lucky for the experience and don't concern yourself with them at all in the future.

- Dave

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 19:17:22 MDT Print View

More of a chance getting attacked by a domestic dog than the Coyotes. I also love to hear them, although on one bp trip to the Sierra, one was carrying on a short distance from my tent that I shared with my dog. Yelling did not help scaring it off so I could sleep in, finally had to go outside and heave a couple rocks. Coyotes are known to jump high fences and make off with domestic dogs, so keep them close. Funny, you go out in nature and you are more than concerned about your safety. Welcome to the great out of doors, no guarantee of your safety.
Duane

Corbin McFarlane
(raven15) - MLife
Never in danger... on 10/15/2012 19:34:51 MDT Print View

I have to agree with those who say you were in no danger. I recognize the area where the photo was taken, and can tell you it is almost certain no coyote will attack you within a 500 mile radius of the place (I've never even heard of a coyote attacking a dog, but this is a very redneck town). Thank rednecks and hunters, who have virtually free reign to shoot any coyote at any time for no reason anywhere so long as it does not jeopardize human life or property. In fact most hunters and ranchers, who are far more numerous than BPL'ers, recommend shooting coyotes at every opportunity, and routinely go hunting specifically for them. I saw a coyote today at work, he was running away so fast at first I thought he was an antelope. Even if you aren't carrying a gun, a smart coyote assumes that you are.

So in summary, in the western US, excluding a few yuppie pockets, coyotes will avoid you by a good margin, and hide quickly if they see you. I don't believe there are any sufficiently yuppy pockets in your area.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 19:35:14 MDT Print View

I bet them coyotes will run away yelping if they saw you dancing Gangnam style.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 19:42:55 MDT Print View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LgPNK0EPtE

Too bad you weren't streaming video...

Dustin Judd
(ddujnitsud) - F
Not a big deal. on 10/15/2012 19:58:16 MDT Print View

Michael you should stay out of the woods until you get some friends to hike with or get a better understanding of your surroundings, including the natural neighbors. I regularly have "dogs" whenever I camp here just a few hours south of you as well as in my yard keeping the cat populous in check. They do make quite a bit of racket but it is really just them talking back and forth, it's when they get real quiet that you know dinner is just about to be served. I have come face to face with several of them while out and about and the last thing they want is to do is dink around with you. If you want some insight on these little beasts just PM me and I'll let you know all about them.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Not a big deal. on 10/15/2012 20:17:49 MDT Print View

"I have come face to face with several of them while out and about and the last thing they want is to do is dink around with you."

+1 From a very up close and personal experience up in the Kern.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/15/2012 21:29:06 MDT Print View

I'd be more afraid of northeastern coyotes. Apparently genetic testing shows they're starting to have a pretty good percentage of wolf DNA, which some scientists think accounts for their increasing aggression. Of course out west, as mentioned, coyotes get shot at so often they tend to run. Except for the ones wandering thru my neighborhood, looking for cat snacks.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/16/2012 03:32:00 MDT Print View

> More of a chance getting attacked by a domestic dog than the Coyotes.
Absolutely!

Cheers

David Affleck
(UtCoyote)
Coyote size... on 10/16/2012 08:05:59 MDT Print View

Just noticed this and wanted to clarify

"...Plus coyotes are small canine that weigh between 40 to 60 pounds..."

I've actually weighed several hundred coyotes. A 40 pound coyote in the west or southwest is a BIG coyote. The largest I have ever personally weighed, out of hundreds, was 44 pounds and have weighed only a handful of others over 40 pounds.

The average adult western coyote is closer to 22 - 24 pounds. After weighing hundreds and observing closely over a thousand coyotes, I consider anything over 25 pounds a big coyote. 30 pounds a very big one. 40 pounds a real bruiser. Around here, anyway. They run even smaller in Southern Utah and Arizona.

Those NE brutes do tip the scales north of 50 lbs pretty often though. Quite a different beast than their western cousins, really.

- Dave

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Coyotes on 10/16/2012 08:32:11 MDT Print View

I see them roaming my suburban neighborhood occasionally. I never really think of them as a serious threat to anyone other than my cat.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/16/2012 10:44:19 MDT Print View

What kind of help would you like?
Thanks for the avatar inspiration.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn)

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/16/2012 13:19:33 MDT Print View

"Of course out west, as mentioned, coyotes get shot at so often they tend to run."

We are pretty good with guns in the southeast too!!!

Brad

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/16/2012 13:31:40 MDT Print View

"We are pretty good with guns in the southeast too!!!"

He was worried about coyotes, not mailboxes and traffic signs....... ;-)

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/16/2012 16:54:39 MDT Print View

I was stating a Guesstimate of a average coyote weight never weighed one.

I did have neighbor who lived near our Avocado Grove who had Coy-Dog. He told me the story about how his female German Shepherd dog was gone a few days and came back beat up. Then it was pregnant and the puppies were born half German Shepherd and Coyote, He kept one of the puppies.

The coy-dog was about 3 to 4 inches shorter than the mother but very smart and could run fast. It was cool looking medium sizes dog with short ears and coyote color and markings. I want it for my own.
Terry

Alex Eriksson
(aeriksson) - M

Locale: Austin, TX
Was this legit? on 10/16/2012 18:42:44 MDT Print View

I'm not going to lie: I was pretty sure the original post was a bit of a sham. I'm not calling anyone out, but even at the ripe old age of 33 I'm a long way away from my past days of being so plugged into the internet that my XYZ community friends got asked questions whose answers my life may depend upon. And I was an overweight gamer once! I'm just saying, it seems a little bit like tweeting "OMG Susie just said she's so sad she's going to kill herself and she hasn't moved off her bed on her webcam in 30 minutes! Someone call the authorities....in whatever town she lives in!"

Hehe. Ok ok I'll stop bustin' balls.

Seriously though, was this real? Maybe the coyotes just wanted to get your views on center burn versus jet alcohol stoves and were really excited to shave grams?

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn)

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: Re: Re: Surrounded by coyotes need help on 10/16/2012 18:55:59 MDT Print View

He was worried about coyotes, not mailboxes and traffic signs....... ;-)

laughing uncontrollably. That was great

brad

michael levi
(M.L) - F

update on 10/16/2012 19:17:43 MDT Print View

Just a little followup of my thought process; basically you had to be there to know what I was talking about, one of those things ya know.

They were really close though, and there were more around me further away but still fairly close. Also the coyote I saw right before I pitched camp didnt seem afraid at all of me.

When they started howling and barking it was like holy $%^&, seriously, very loud and close. I've heard them before, but never this many of them so close. I was just in a bivy under a tarp too, It felt like at any moment one could come up and lick my face.

I could of called a friend or two, but I would only get one answer each. I figured asking the audience is more efficient. Thanks for all the advice though fellow BPL'ers. Sometimes its just nice to be able to talk/ communicate to people in scary times like that.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: update on 10/16/2012 19:28:57 MDT Print View

I gotta admit that I initially thought you were trolling us, but I know I get anxious about noises during the night too. Even though I have little reason to fear coyotes, I wouldn't want them near my campsite.

This thread made me further realize how little I actually know about coyotes, so I decided to try to fix that and ordered this.
http://www.amazon.com/Track-Coyote-Northword-Wildlife-Series/dp/1559714719

Anthony Analetto
(Fubar2us) - F

Locale: MidWest USA
RE: on 10/16/2012 19:33:35 MDT Print View

Being from the ND,MN area I would almost worry if I went a night without hearing they Coyotes. Spent some time the the TRNP earlier this year and I got followed for about a mile by one, later I saw why he was following when I stumbled across a Buffalo carcus in the grass. I could hear several of them most of the night and saw one on the ridge not long after sunrise at camp. Also heard them roaming around the lakes in the Chippawa National Forest last week when I was out and about. Fire will keep them at bay and being human will do in general usualy. I have a farmstead you can hear them every night but they will not come up to the house because of the street light that was installed in the yard to keep them out. without it they do get close but I never had problems with them otherwise.

Charles G.
(Rincon) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
Surrounded by coyotes on 10/16/2012 19:41:27 MDT Print View

I live in rural SE Arizona and have numerous coyotes on and near my property. Mostly, they mind their own business, as I mind mine: although they seldom seem disturbed when they see me. I have never had any of them act aggressive towards me; sure, they will watch me and not seem particularly worried about me being there. I am often out, walking my property at night. I worry more about rattlesnakes. I often hear coyotes commenting, both near and far away. I have never had one do anything I found the least bit frightening. One thing I have learned is that when you hear them howling, yipping and otherwise conversing; a few of them sound like a lot of them. Three or four coyotes discussing some issue from three different directions can sound as though there are 25-30 of them really close; they really have a song repertoire. Frankly, I worry more about javelinas in this part of the world: they are not as smart, their eyesight is poor and they are never really sure where you are.

Alex Eriksson
(aeriksson) - M

Javelina on 10/16/2012 20:58:45 MDT Print View

I was about to mention hogs actually. I've been told, as a new resident and outdoors type person who hikes with his dog, to make sure I keep him leashed for his own protection should we encounter javelina in the woods. My boxer, playful yet prey-driven as he is, would DEFINITELY try to first play with, then try to bite, one of them and get a nasty surprise by the sound of things.

More on topic... backpacking with a somewhat sizable dog (75lbs): good or bad for keeping forest mammalia away? I would imagine pretty good at bears, pretty terrible with wolves, decent with coyotes, and dinner for a big cat?

Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
The Coyote by Francois Leydet on 10/16/2012 21:45:28 MDT Print View

The book to read is "The Coyote" by Francois Leydet, published 1977. He interviewed scientists, ranchers, professional coyote hunters, everyone with a connection to coyotes, whether for or against them. His book was definitive for a couple of decades before there was any new information. As such, that is its limitation; it is so very thorough that it doesn't move quickly when you are already familiar with one of the subtopics. Barry Lopez has a similar style.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: update on 10/16/2012 22:06:16 MDT Print View

Michael,

"basically you had to be there to know what I was talking about, one of those things ya know."

I hear you and felt the same a few weeks ago. I too am a dog fearing man.

Daryl

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Surrounded by coyotes needing help? on 10/16/2012 22:08:44 MDT Print View

Is it possible that the coyotes really needed your help for some reason, and that they weren't actually any sort of threat to you at all?

Alex Eriksson
(aeriksson) - M

Occurs to me just now.... on 10/16/2012 22:12:12 MDT Print View

You didn't mean coyotes as in, Coyotes, the gruff looking individuals who move human and narcotics cargo across the border between Mexico and the United States, did you?! Because hey, I've seen some of those guys and if they'd been drinking and getting noisy they'd probably take offense to you totally harshing their life of crime mellow.

;-D

David Affleck
(UtCoyote)
Numbers... on 10/17/2012 07:15:20 MDT Print View

>>One thing I have learned is that when you hear them howling, yipping and otherwise conversing; a few of them sound like a lot of them. Three or four coyotes discussing some issue from three different directions can sound as though there are 25-30 of them really close; they really have a song repertoire.<<

This. I've observed, filmed and sound recorded numerous groups of coyotes doing the group-yip-howl. And been in the field with many other people when hearing a GYH. Almost everyone, even moderately experienced people routinely overestimate by orders of magnitude the number of coyotes they hear participating in a group-yip-howl. It is usually only two or three, but almost everyone thinks it is ten or more. It's likely the OP didn't have any more than three individuals near him.

- Dave

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
heh on 10/17/2012 11:48:36 MDT Print View

Alexander Eriksson, I had the same thoughts exactly, I had to read the thread for a while to convince myself that someone was actually chatting on an iphone for real. Best argument against bringing such devices into nature I've seen to date though.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the OP was camped in their sleeping area, and that they were annoyed. Then, no matter how strongly they urged him to alter his behavior, he kept it up, ignoring their, to them, polite requests to move on and find somewhere else to sleep. I'm sure the area was marked clearly, at least clearly to animals aware of their surroundings, which may have made the OPs behavior even less comprehensible to the Coyotes. I think I'll read that coyote book though, sounds like an interesting world.

I have a few other guesses, probably closer to the truth, but I'll keep those to myself since they aren't really in keeping with bpl ideas or biases. Something about our connection/disconnection from nature on deeper levels, and how that impacts our experiences.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Numbers... on 10/17/2012 16:11:54 MDT Print View

Dave (UtCoyote)...I'm surprised no one has asked, and my curiosity has the better of me. What is it that you do to be weighing, filming, and recording coyotes?

Slo Hiker
(SloHiker) - F

Locale: NC Foothills
Plan B on 10/18/2012 12:53:32 MDT Print View

Just one example I could show to illustrate why you should have a "Plan B" for fending off coyotes with your trekking poles. Contrary to the Bambi paradigm, deer are very capable of inflicting serious injuries when threatened - much more capable than you will be with a flimsy piece of lightweight metal tubing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=guQDH_fPydQ&noredirect=1