Forum Index » GEAR » need new pack suggestions

Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis A
(dirtymcsquared) - MLife
need new pack suggestions on 10/13/2012 13:51:09 MDT Print View

My girlfriend's looking for a new pack and I'm not sure I'll have time to make a new one for her. Any suggestions on any commercial model will be appreciated. Every current model of Osprey, Gossamer Gear, and Zpacks have already proven incompatible. Her criteria-

- 35 to 40 liter (2200 to 2500 square inch) capacity
- tall and thin design
- suspension including a hipbelt and at least a frame sheet or stay
- outside pockets capable of carrying at least one liter bottles
- obviously weighing as little as possible but willing to compromise up to 1200 grams (2.5 lbs)

Durability is not an issue at this point. Her base weight for trip using this pack, without the pack weight itself, will hover between four and five pounds, but she needs to keep the weight on her hips. Thank you for your help.

Here There
(cowexnihilo) - MLife
Re: need new pack suggestions on 10/13/2012 14:17:45 MDT Print View

What was the issue with the packs mentioned?

My lady has been very happy with her Golite Quest, but it weighs a little more than you're aiming for. If fitting a sub 2.5lb pack has been so problematic you might need to relax the weight requirement to get something that fits and carries comfortably for her.

I also have friends who are quite pleased with the women's specific packs from Gregory.

-David

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Gregory on 10/13/2012 14:20:06 MDT Print View

Both my wife and daughter use Gregory packs, despite the weight. What can I do, they like them, ESPECIALLY if I load them up to 15-20 pounds.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Zimmberbuilt? HMG? ULA on 10/13/2012 14:23:31 MDT Print View

Well If you want a frame for less then 2.5 pounds I only see a couple options.

1. Hyperlight Mountain Gear - Probably a Windrunnner would be plenty adequate for her needs and the extra pockets will be nice.

2. Custom made pack by Chris Zimmer. I just tried out a Zimmberbuilt pack on a hike in New Mexico. His quality is good and he made it a lot faster then I expected him too. If you want details of the pack he made for me let me know. I might sell mine because the hipbelt doesn't quit fit right. If you are interested you can PM me. I'd also be happy to answer any questions you have about the pack.

3. ULA Circuit pack - I haven't used it but this is a proven design that lots of thru-hikers like.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: need new pack suggestions on 10/13/2012 14:25:03 MDT Print View

ULA Ohm 2.0 perhaps? Might be a little bigger than what you are looking for, though meets the other requirements.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
Re: need new pack suggestions on 10/13/2012 14:37:24 MDT Print View

It's larger than you're looking for but the Granite Gear Vapor Ki has the padded framesheet and is under 2.5lbs.

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Vapor-Ki-P7C7.aspx

They're no longer making this model but it's available elsewhere online.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
need new pack suggestions on 10/13/2012 15:44:25 MDT Print View

May be worth a look http://www.elementalhorizons.com/kalaispack.aspx

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
MLD on 10/13/2012 15:54:43 MDT Print View

Burn

Ron D
(dillonr) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: need new pack suggestions on 10/13/2012 16:03:02 MDT Print View

Depending on your price and time to delivery tolerance you may want to consider a McHale. You could easily have one of his custom Bump, Merke or Subpop packs made to under 2.5lbs.
Ron

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
need new pack suggestions on 10/13/2012 17:10:07 MDT Print View

If I were in the market for a new pack I'd look at the following packs first:

Elemental Horizons Kalais (I corresponded with the owner several months ago and they will do custom mods), with the added stays. I'm really impressed with everything I've seen and read about this pack. I'm not going to get it, though, unless my current pack (a 2005 model SMD pack since discontinued) falls apart.

ULA Circuit, although a little heavier than I'd like (it falls within your GF's weight parameters, though)--get the S-shaped straps.

In either case (or with any other cottage manufacturer!), I'd call (or better yet, have your GF call!) and discuss the parameters before ordering. When the pack arrives, she needs to load it up with her gear and the weight/bulk equivalent of several days' food and water and hike around the house with it for a couple of hours. Be prepared to pay return postage if it doesn't work out.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: need new pack suggestions on 10/13/2012 17:26:14 MDT Print View

"- 35 to 40 liter (2200 to 2500 square inch) capacity
- tall and thin design
- suspension including a hipbelt and at least a frame sheet or stay
- outside pockets capable of carrying at least one liter bottles
- obviously weighing as little as possible but willing to compromise up to 1200 grams (2.5 lbs)"

Ohm 2.0. Stripped of the non essential accessories it comes in on my scale at 1# 7 oz for a size medium, and carries like a dream up to 25#, has the best water bottle pockets I've ever come across, and has a narrow profile. It is also durable.

I've just completed a season with mine that included some fairly rough off trail hiking, and it came thru with flying colors.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
Re need new pack suggestions on 10/13/2012 18:07:36 MDT Print View

If I were in the market right now, I'd be looking at the Granite Gear Crown VC Ki, or a Z-Packs Arc Blast. I bought a used GG Vapor Trail this fall which was the predecessor to the Crown, and it's insanely comfortable. The Crown is supposed to have made some improvements, so I'd definitely be looking hard at that, or finding a used Vapor Trail.

Travis A
(dirtymcsquared) - MLife
Thanx for the suggestions on 10/14/2012 12:30:42 MDT Print View

Thanks to everyone that responded. The Elemental Horizon Kalai is a pleasant surprise. Thanx especially for that suggestion and the custom pack resources named. A lot of other great packs were recommended but they are all way too big. Any other recommendations for a 40 liter or less pack with a framesheet, stays, or frame?

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Gossamer Gear Gorilla on 10/14/2012 14:25:43 MDT Print View

Very comfortable, removable frame. 2800 ci. 25 oz. to me, was as/more comfortable than my beloved granite gear vapor trail. Surprised it has not been suggested, or maybe I missed it. I would personally, however, be very interested in the Zpacks Arc too.

Michelle A
(mauhler31) - F
Zpacks on 10/14/2012 21:03:02 MDT Print View

If you are interested in zpacks, you could try getting a Blast 22 with carbon fiber stays. You should be able to specify any torso height needed.

Herbert Sitz
(hes)

Locale: Pacific NW
SMD Swift on 10/14/2012 21:18:18 MDT Print View

The SMD Swift is rated at 3400ci but main bag is 2300ci + exterior pockets + extension. Add the custom hipbelt with great pockets and the internal aluminum stay and you're at about 23 ounces.
SMD Swift

I like mine a lot. Here's link to article on design of SMD Swift and comparing it to ULA Conduit: Swift whitepaper

Looks like SMD has Swift's out of stock right now, not sure when more in. . .

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
new pack suggestions on 10/14/2012 23:14:31 MDT Print View

John is making packs now over at Borah gear

http://www.borahgear.com/stealth.html