Forum Index » Winter Hiking » winter desert hike

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Devitt
(cabana) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
winter desert hike on 10/11/2012 16:13:13 MDT Print View

Hi,

I am planning on starting my second carreer this Spring, so I am thinking of taking a long hike in late Winter while I can afford the time.

I was researching the CDT in New Mexico, and was warned of harsh winds & bitting sand in late Winter to early spring. I ate a lot of sand in the middle east the last 20 years and am done with that mess.

I then started looking into the PCT southern area. I did not find any mention of harsh winds carrying cutting sand and debris. is there anyone out there with some real life experience with the this area in Feb - Apr time frame?

Regards,
John

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: winter desert hike on 10/11/2012 16:21:34 MDT Print View

Lots of wind, but not much sand. I haven't had sand be a problem while hiking, but I have camped in a couple spots where sand would hit my shelter during the night. Don't forget about the snow.

John Devitt
(cabana) - MLife

thanks on 10/11/2012 16:30:12 MDT Print View

Thank you for the reply. I need all of the education I can get on the South end of the PCT!
Regards,
John

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: thanks on 10/11/2012 16:43:01 MDT Print View

Oh, I just remembered one area with sand. If you cross I-10 when it's windy, you'll probably get a face full of sand. That's for a short stretch, although it feels like it's much longer because of the deep sand.

Charles P
(mediauras) - F

Locale: Terra
Re: Re: thanks on 10/11/2012 22:10:04 MDT Print View

The winds don't hit the Southwest until the spring, March/April. I wouldn't necessarily rule out the CDT in NM in earlier months. Though it can get pretty dam cold, and you would have to be prepared for the odd snowstorm.

John Devitt
(cabana) - MLife

thanks on 10/12/2012 14:16:51 MDT Print View

Thank you for the specific info! I can easily do a Jan/Feb hike.
Regards,
John

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: winter desert hike on 10/12/2012 17:30:11 MDT Print View

There are 2 types of desert - cold high deserts like the Chihuahuan, Great Basin, then low wet deserts like the Sonoran, Mojave. The later will be warmer in winter. Though the maps show a distinct boundary, there can be a transistion zone.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: Re: thanks on 10/13/2012 20:28:08 MDT Print View

It's gets windier in March and early April, but I've hiked in very windy conditions in December through February too.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: winter desert hike on 10/14/2012 19:03:21 MDT Print View

spam

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: thanks on 10/14/2012 19:04:52 MDT Print View

spam

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Forum corrupted after spam attack on 10/16/2012 19:47:16 MDT Print View

Bump to make this thread show up in the forum listing again. It disappeared after the spam attack