Last weekend we car camped and did a 12 mile hike on the OR coast. It was a humid slightly rainy 50F temps. I tested my layers and felt it worked out okay but needs some changes.
1. Base: Patagonia Cap 1 silk weight
2. Ice Breaker: 200 Long Sleve shirt
3. Frog Toggs Rain Jacket
4. Serrano Primaloft Jacket when stopping for a break.
1. Ice Breaker 200wt long underwear
2. Columbia Nylon pants
1. OR gripper gloves which worked perfectly to cut the windchill, normally I would remove the gloves 15-20 min after getting started.
1. CoolMax liner
2. Midweight wool socks
3. Salomon Quest 4D GTX shoes.
Some cheap Acrylic cap from Walmart
Over I think the Icebreakers weren't required and I could have gotten away with Cap 3 shirt and lightweight long underwear. The shoes worked really well but started giving a hotspot at the back of the heal. I should probably take my Patagonia Torrent shell next time. Also it is a pain to take the rain jacket off and on to put on the insulation layer.
I think I need to get a decent Down Jacket for Mt.Hood trips in the snow or when I want to go east of the cascades.
BTW I returned my R3 Fleece Jacket and got a R1 hoodie.