Tent Stake Pusher
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Tent Stake Pusher on 10/10/2012 12:54:28 MDT Print View

Some of my tent stakes have small heads. Pushing them into the ground can be hard on the hands.

Photos below show an 8 gram pusher made from shock cord and a champagne cork. The red stake is an MSR (needle?) stake.

The shock cord can be used to hold the stakes together when packing things up. That way the pusher is where you need it next time. The shock cord keeps the pusher hanging from the hand so you don't have to hold onto it when using it.

If 8 grams is too heavy I'm sure a lighter one could be easily made.

Multiple Use? This pusher can turn any piece of tubing or rod into a piercing weapon or tool.

here

here

here

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Tent Stake Pusher on 10/10/2012 12:59:33 MDT Print View

I use the toe of my boot. Zero extra grams.

--B.G.--

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: Tent Stake Pusher on 10/10/2012 13:30:30 MDT Print View

Bob,

I too use the toe of my boot to drive the stake all the way in.

I first stick the stake in an inch or two with my hand, however. This gets the stake to hold its position long enough for me to stand up and get my boot on it. The Tent Stake Pusher (patent not applied for) is for the initial placement stage of the operation.

Daryl

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: Re: Re: Tent Stake Pusher on 10/10/2012 14:14:29 MDT Print View

Though I understand how useful this device could be, personally, it looks like a piece of gear that I could potentially lose along the way.

I use grounhog stakes and I can typically find a rock or my shoe to drive the stakes in.

Pretty cool idea nonetheless...

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: Re: Re: Tent Stake Pusher (Re: Mangus) on 10/10/2012 15:30:39 MDT Print View

"it looks like a piece of gear that I could potentially lose along the way. "

Every time you lose it, your punishment is to drink a bottle of champagne for the replacement cork. That will teach you a lesson!

I like the MYOG idea, and it's MUG when the shock cord is used to tie up the stakes.

depends on the stake and soil, a rock will scratch up the stake, and the shoe may bend the stake if not careful. I have better dexterity with my hands than boot.

it wouldn't work with the shepherd stakes, though.

I'm thinking it can also be used as a desperado pebble slingshot :)

Nice job on the gadget idea.

Green Thumb
(greenthumb)
Scratch up stakes? on 10/10/2012 16:51:11 MDT Print View

What do you mean by "scratch up stakes?" They all get unavoidably scratched up, right?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Tent Stake Pusher on 10/10/2012 18:25:46 MDT Print View

Hmmm

I better get one of those

out of a champagne bottle

I think we got one of those in the frig ready to go

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Tent Stake Pusher on 10/10/2012 19:29:35 MDT Print View

Yeah, neat and light.

But I find Ti wires go in much more easily and don't need a pusher. And they do take being hit with a rock too.

Cheers