Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay

Display Avatars Sort By:
Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Very nice on 10/10/2012 20:03:15 MDT Print View

This is the essence of BPL. And very inspiring as Dan pointed out. Thanks for sharing so much and reponding to the many good questions that were asked.

Cheryl McCormick
(cherylmccormick)
Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness on 10/11/2012 09:16:54 MDT Print View

I was feeling skeptical driving west through Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana before meeting up with you in the Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness for the trek. For 1,000 miles the landscape was desert-like dry and brown with poor views because of the fire smog. What a relief to get in the mountains and see forests and greenery. You captured a lot of the beauty with your great photographic skills and patience waiting for the right light.
Bet ya wanted to fish more though, huh?

Robert Burke
(coastiebob) - MLife

Locale: Wishing I was Backpacking
A Very Good Trip on 10/11/2012 10:55:50 MDT Print View

Hey All,

I just wanted to chime in on a couple of things. First, we had a great group and that always makes a big difference. Next, it was ideal fall weather with very little adverse weather and no bugs or predators!

If you have not been on a trek with Ryan Jordan, I would consider coughing up the time and money. Ryan Jordan (and Ryan Connelly as well), were tremendously patient going over their thoughts on gear and where ultralight and lightweight backpacking is going in the future. IMO, 5 days of discussion on techniques, etc was worth the time and money. I would opt for the intermediate course if you are already an experienced lightweight guy. If you have not done as much lightweight backpacking, the Bootcamp would be a perfect place for you to start!

I am hoping BPL will offer a Winter Boot Camp as I think that would be great for many of us who have done some good 3 season work, but would like to head out in the wintertime (in Montana) with some true experts.

Regards,
Bob Burke

Kirt Williams
(kirt_williams) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Anaconda-Pintler & Sony RX100 on 10/11/2012 11:38:44 MDT Print View

I saw on your packing list that you used a polarizing filter on the RX100, which can give the sky a beautiful deep blue look. How did you attach the filter? I didn't see threads on the lens.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Re: Anaconda-Pintler & Sony RX100 on 10/11/2012 11:49:58 MDT Print View

@Kirt

Ryan's likely using some Lensmate accessories or something similar.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/sonyRX100.php

Edited by cobberman on 10/11/2012 11:50:28 MDT.

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
RX100 Filter Adapter on 10/11/2012 12:24:18 MDT Print View

@Kirt - An adapter from Jens Färber (faerberj@gmail.com). It's a simple machined plastic ring with double sided tape that sticks right onto the camera front. It's "weightless" (!) and almost silly in terms of its practical engineering, and works flawlessly.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay on 10/11/2012 15:28:00 MDT Print View

Great photos and captions, Ryan. Torie and were hiking some of those same sections over the 4th of July weekend. Such a spectacular place!

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Awesome ! on 10/13/2012 11:55:45 MDT Print View

The APW has been on my wish list for many years. My dream trip would be hiking the CDT from the Canadian border to the APW southern border.

Edited by mfog1 on 10/13/2012 17:48:37 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
spam on 10/14/2012 19:00:48 MDT Print View

spam

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Spam attack on 10/14/2012 19:12:40 MDT Print View

Greg, are you hitting the red flag on these? I think that's the only way the mods find out!

John Yates
(yates) - M
Tripod on 10/15/2012 10:15:48 MDT Print View

Ryan,

I like the pictures. Can you give any details about the tripod you used?

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Tripod -- and Steripen on 10/16/2012 11:43:40 MDT Print View

I'm also interested in the tripod details.

Also curious which container you used to treat the water with the steripen. Were you using the ziploc 24oz bowl or the Jetboil and just treating less than a liter at a time?

And very nice photos. That's an interesting effect on the limestone creeks picture.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Tripod +2 on 10/16/2012 11:59:53 MDT Print View

I too am interested in the tripod...

You can catch a glimpse of it with a few little details here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigskyry/8000885134/in/photostream

Mark Smith
(Banditfist)

Locale: Southeast
Last year on 10/16/2012 12:07:26 MDT Print View

@Chris: I was on the trip with Ryan and Chris Wallace last year. I think that I remember Ryan using a platypus that he cut off a fourth of it so that you could scoop water, use the Steripen, and then drink.

@Ryan: I almost contacted you about trying to slide into this trip. Seeing the pics makes me see I made a mistake, even if I would have lost my job. Next time!

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Great Article on 10/29/2012 09:23:25 MDT Print View

Beautiful pictures and inspirational packlist with useful comments.

Keep up the good work!

/Peter S