(maia) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay on 10/09/2012 19:05:33 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay on 10/09/2012 19:30:00 MDT Print View

Nice pictures. Looks like an amazing place.

Are there grizzlies there? You must have to hang your food.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Re: Re: Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay on 10/09/2012 20:35:56 MDT Print View

The pictures make me smile.
What a great trip!

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Re: Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay on 10/09/2012 20:42:41 MDT Print View

I'm going to have to get down there soon. Beautiful pictures.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
AP on 10/09/2012 21:08:23 MDT Print View

nice pics Ryan!

one of my favorite haunts- beautiful views and there is some tremendous fishing in many of those alpine lakes- I'm talking big (big) fish

no grizzlies (very, very occasional sighting)

5# cutbow :)

Photobucket

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay on 10/10/2012 00:05:41 MDT Print View

Thanks really enjoyed this post with its wonderful photos, the gear list makes for informative reading as well.

@Mike great looking fish there.

joe newton
(holdfast)

Locale: Bergen, Norway
Thumbs up on 10/10/2012 03:59:10 MDT Print View

Great photos, nice fish and interesting gear list. Thanks for sharing this Ryan.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay on 10/10/2012 04:56:50 MDT Print View

Looks like a great trip! Really good pictures!

Looks like a great summer hangout, one of those places you wouldn't get me out of anytime soon. (drool...slobber, slobber, drool...)

Mike, nice fish!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay on 10/10/2012 06:26:39 MDT Print View

Nice job.

Michael Cheifetz
(mike_hefetz) - MLife

Locale: Israel
sleep system? on 10/10/2012 06:28:43 MDT Print View

RJ - as always nice looking photos :)

RE sleep system: what down fill weight was in Ben's pullover? and why did you opt for a down jkt while synth pants?
I would assume you donned the jkt on rest stops as well...not concerned about precip and sweat?

Mike

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay on 10/10/2012 08:35:17 MDT Print View

Your passion and love for photography and image making process comes across strongly in your work Ryan, these are really beautiful examples. I can't even imaging having such access to big and wild country such as this, it blows my mind.

Thanks for sharing your world.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay on 10/10/2012 09:08:23 MDT Print View

Thanks Ryan, for putting this together for us!

What a great photo essay. Picturesque the whole time, it looks like. Like Eugene, I long for settings like that.

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
Re: Re: Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay on 10/10/2012 11:31:04 MDT Print View

Ryan - Can you provide your food list. Thanks.

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: sleep system? on 10/10/2012 13:49:36 MDT Print View

@Mike - this is a 900 fill jacket, long length, hood, pullover style, and very puffy - but definitely not a winter class coat. I brought synth pants because I don't have a pair of down pants right now, or I would have brought those to save a little weight, maybe. I wasn't expecting sustained foul weather, and if I was, I would have switched to an all-synthetic system (including jacket, pants, and quilt).

I don't think I ever wore the jacket at rest stops. Day temps were in the 50s or higher, so I usually added my windshirt, rain jacket, and watch cap at cool rest stops.

Ryan Jordan

Re: Re: Re: Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Photo Essay on 10/10/2012 13:51:52 MDT Print View

@regultr: I don't have a food list, but there was nothing unusual here. The usual snacks for daytime (dry meat, cheese, chocolate, nuts), cereals with freeze dried fruit/nuts/cream for breakfasts (meusli, granola, or creamed wheat), and typical pasta-meat-cheese-sour cream-etc. freeze dried dinners (albeit homemade and calorie-dense).

Ryan Jordan

Anaconda-Pintler on 10/10/2012 13:53:05 MDT Print View

Thanks for all of your kind comments. Words and even pictures can't convey what I feel about this place. It's incredible, and reminds me of Alaska. The spaces here are very big.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Anaconda-Pintler & Sony RX100 on 10/10/2012 13:59:57 MDT Print View

Ryan,

Wow....thanks for sharing your photos and journey with us about your side of the world.

Question for you regarding your camera:

How do you like the compact Sony RX100 vs. the Sony NEX5/7 series?

I have been debating both the RX100 vs. the NEX5N.

As much as I like the idea of the larger sensor on the NEX, the smaller form factor of the RX100 being "pocketable" is important to me.

Your shots look great and makes me lean even more towards the RX100.

Curious to get your thoughts.

As a side note, I was "shocked"/surprised that you are using the Jetboil system vs. something like a Caldera Cone....though, the weight on the Jetboil you was using is compellingly low, if that includes the weight of the mug to cook in.

Thanks again for your thoughts and great article.

-Tony

Ryan Jordan

Re: Re: Anaconda-Pintler & Sony RX100 on 10/10/2012 14:05:16 MDT Print View

@Tony -

The RX100 offers remarkable image quality for its weight. The photos here don't do it justice. Something weird happens when the photos were published online at BPL and I can't figure it out, but Flickr shows this one off much nicer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigskyry/8035837425/lightbox/

The thing I really like about the RX100 is the quality of the image when the lens is zoomed. Power of Zeiss optics, maybe. It's good stuff.

vs. NEX7 - NEX7 still has quite an edge and better DoF control, but the RX100 is very capable and its pocketability is be a big bonus.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Cool Report! on 10/10/2012 14:09:56 MDT Print View

Cool reports, first the Lamar report now this one. Keep them coming. A well written story is fun but some trips are best reported with a set of good photos.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Montana on 10/10/2012 19:34:19 MDT Print View

With all the awesome trip reports coming from Ryan J (Lamar, A-P) and Dave. C (Crown of the Continent et al), I'm starting to wonder if Montana tourism is slipping BPL a few greenbacks. It's sure working for me.